Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

New and old types of Creatine... Advice please....

Search this Thread

Old 16-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default New and old types of Creatine... Advice please....

Ive just ordered 2x:
http://www.affordablesupplements.co....asp?prodid=117

But have since noticed:
http://www.affordablesupplements.co....sp?prodid=1147

Anyone who understands a bit more about these things care to comment?
Old 16-01-2006, 10:01 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Stu,

The first one is the well known Creatine monohydrate and a very good one at that, this is fine Stu.

The second is a mix Creatine with the added Noz known as Nitric Oxide. Nitric Oxide increases blood flow which in turn will deliver more nutrients to the muscles! Also follow the suggested doses with the correct lay off times, overdose on something like Arginine for example and you will get Diarrhea, weakness and nausea....so always follow the labels.

Noz is fairly new to the supplement market hence the massive hype that manufacturers tend to write about it.
Old 16-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Thanks Paul, great advice as always...
I asked the supplier for his advice regarding the 2 and whether i should change my order to the newer type and recieved this about 2 mins ago:

Stewart,
Thanks for your query,

In all honesty if this is the first time you’ve used Creatines I would stick with the monohydrate you have ordered. The NOZ is a better form of creatine all round, however the important thing to note with creatine is that everyone has a different “natural” level of creatine – if you have a particularly high natural level, then your response to creatine will be far less dramatic than someone with a naturally low level – as such a monohydrate based creatine will be the best starting point as it is relatively inexpensive compared to NOZ, and is still very effective for initial strength and endurance gains.

The only downside to this is that it does cause rapid water retention, so you would need to keep yourself hydrated to reduce risk of cramps etc,
Please let me know if you need any other info,

Best regards
Terence
www.AffordableSupplements.co.uk
01977 55 44 55
Seems good advice, although im a little woried about the Hydration issue... Does this "Rapid water Retention" mean im likely to put on a load of weight? Or is it an alternative type of retention?
Old 16-01-2006, 11:17 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

good advice as always and not many of them around these days, some would rather shift the boxes and take your money!.

I personally do not use creatine because the only response I have is on the loading phase.

Also note......drink plenty of water while taking creatine as already stated in an earlier post.
Old 16-01-2006, 11:32 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Thanks Paul, great advice as always...
I asked the supplier for his advice regarding the 2 and whether i should change my order to the newer type and recieved this about 2 mins ago:

Stewart,
Thanks for your query,

In all honesty if this is the first time you’ve used Creatines I would stick with the monohydrate you have ordered. The NOZ is a better form of creatine all round, however the important thing to note with creatine is that everyone has a different “natural” level of creatine – if you have a particularly high natural level, then your response to creatine will be far less dramatic than someone with a naturally low level – as such a monohydrate based creatine will be the best starting point as it is relatively inexpensive compared to NOZ, and is still very effective for initial strength and endurance gains.

The only downside to this is that it does cause rapid water retention, so you would need to keep yourself hydrated to reduce risk of cramps etc,
Please let me know if you need any other info,

Best regards
Terence
www.AffordableSupplements.co.uk
01977 55 44 55
Seems good advice, although im a little woried about the Hydration issue... Does this "Rapid water Retention" mean im likely to put on a load of weight? Or is it an alternative type of retention?
Water retention/weight.....You will get it Stu but everyone will be different, so you will need to try and see how it effects you.
Old 16-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've never noticed any visible effects of water retention when on creatne, but I do get thirstier so tend to drink more. Aim to drink 4-5 litres a day Stu and you'll be fine.

Personally I just use the monohydrate stuff too. Supplements can cost more than your food bill if you go mad, so I tend to concentrate on getting the basic diet right and then just use a good protein powder. At the moment I felt like using creatine just because I haven't used it for over a year.

Paul.
Old 16-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Thanks guys.. looking forward to trying it
Old 17-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Its arrived already.... taken my first spoonfull at lunch and will be dashing off to the Gym at 6pm after another spoonfull in teh vain hope it has some instant effect
Old 18-01-2006, 09:55 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stu.. why are you taking this out of interest??

are you taking a whey protein suppliment aswell?

Im on a new diet regime and regulary weight train... Id like to drop say a stone.. but only use the whey at the mo (3 shakes a day... 6am 1 1/2 scoop with water, 2.30 pm after workout 1 scoop with milk and 5.30 pm 1 1/12 with milk)
Old 18-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Hi Dave,
Creatine Monohydrate is a natural fuel found in many meats and fish and is also created in humans by the liver. Its purpose is to directly feed the bodys muscles.

The effect taking it manually has is to give your muscles more direct energy to allow you to work out that bit harder and perform those few more reps, as well as improving muscle recovery time, thus you will be attacking the muscles more (If working out correctly) and therefore giving greater lean muscle regeneration in a shorter time period.

Better details can be found here:
http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa.../creatine.html

I use this whey daily too:
https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166673
Old 18-01-2006, 10:35 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

quality...thanks Stu

oso you take 3 shakes of whey a day?

how many shakes of creatine?

Im going to look a prize plonker at work with all my tumblers!
Old 18-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Well, my shakes are also 3 a day:
1 morning with breakfast.

1 after lunch.

1 after workout.

The creatine at the moment is at a"loading stage" of 4x a day, so im popping a spoonfull in each shake and one in a glass of water before bed... perfect.

(After a week, creatine is used only once a day before working out, so no longer such an issue)
Old 18-01-2006, 12:04 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
quality...thanks Stu

oso you take 3 shakes of whey a day?

how many shakes of creatine?

Im going to look a prize plonker at work with all my tumblers!
Here you go Dave...

Old 18-01-2006, 05:55 PM
bigwelshlad
Advanced PassionFord User

how much weight gain is from water retention and how much would be from muscle manufacture? i kept taking the stuff over christmas, back to a loading phase and wasnt lifting, gained nearly 10lbs in a week according to the scales, although some of that could be due to overindulging on the stella over christmas.

realistically tho, as a larger guy who has just started training and is looking to decrease belly mass but increase upper body mass, how useful would creatine be, or should i be looking for other products? i dont have a huge amont of time to get into the gym to lift.

as i have mentioned before, i am only 5 ft 5 (ah!!!) but weigh almost 21stone, and have a huge body frame, not really any flab on me, but i do have a very big (pot) belly that i want to reduce whilst gaining upper body size.

any advice again ?

welshy !
Old 18-01-2006, 11:53 PM
fords4fun
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by bigwelshlad
how much weight gain is from water retention and how much would be from muscle manufacture? i kept taking the stuff over christmas, back to a loading phase and wasnt lifting, gained nearly 10lbs in a week according to the scales, although some of that could be due to overindulging on the stella over christmas.

realistically tho, as a larger guy who has just started training and is looking to decrease belly mass but increase upper body mass, how useful would creatine be, or should i be looking for other products? i dont have a huge amont of time to get into the gym to lift.

as i have mentioned before, i am only 5 ft 5 (ah!!!) but weigh almost 21stone, and have a huge body frame, not really any flab on me, but i do have a very big (pot) belly that i want to reduce whilst gaining upper body size.

any advice again ?

welshy !

id be interested to know this, would i be doing harm/good if i went on to a protien shake instead of food thru the day and just eat in evening like slim fast but with protien shake instead
Old 07-02-2006, 06:01 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

I used to take creatine mono, but it needs to be taken with a simple carb ideally to make the most of the uptake. If your having it in your shakes it'll be fine. A newer source is CEE, creatine ethyl ester, which basically can be taken on its own with no carb source, no loading phase and you only need 1 teaspoon a day. Tastes like shite tho buts it's gone in 1 gulp
I have noticed a difference on this and spoken to others who agree
Old 07-02-2006, 06:04 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

id be interested to know this, would i be doing harm/good if i went on to a protien shake instead of food thru the day and just eat in evening like slim fast but with protien shake instead
Never a good idea to replace proper food with shakes for lots of reasons, 1 being you get no thermogenic response from the shakes as to upto 20% of the calories in a protein meal
Old 07-02-2006, 01:03 PM
DaveMCMkIII

you are aware that creatine only works in 2 thirds of the population?

be careful, as if you are part of the 1/3 of the population it doesnt work for your wasting your money and improvements way be due to:

Placebo effect of taking supplements

Normal gains that would occur without the supplement

And water retention increasing your weight. I.e because your body is retaining more water, it gets heavier, therefore weight gains may not be increased muscle mass. This is somethin that people dont tend to grasp and its a very common happening
Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by DaveMCMkIII

be careful, as if you are part of the 1/3 of the population it doesnt work for your wasting your money and improvements way be due to:

And water retention increasing your weight. I.e because your body is retaining more water, it gets heavier, therefore weight gains may not be increased muscle mass. This is somethin that people dont tend to grasp and its a very common happening
Agree...but all been said before on here.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:40 PM
DaveMCMkIII

Originally Posted by RSPTG

Agree...but not about it only working in 2/3 of the population
Old 07-02-2006, 03:29 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161574

Old 07-02-2006, 04:54 PM
WileEcoyote
Virgin

you may find that you do have water retention using Creatine
i certainly did and you'll probably also find that you have a little indigestion and wind!!!

I certainly did when i used it as a supplement my training.
After 14 years of training i wouldn't deny that Creatine works, but i would suggest that natural training and a healthy diet you will find that your strength gain will be similar to someone who supplements.

he only real difference that i believe you will see with Creatine is recovery time gains
Old 07-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Welcome to teh forum, and thanks for both your input
Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 PM
DaveMCMkIII

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161574

i see you mention it works better for some than others, nothing about it not working at all in the number of people

My last point on creatine is that the majority of studies suggesting it improves strength etc use untrained subjects. Very few have studied trained subjects and there is a belief that in trained people it does not produce these effects. Therefore maybe those of you who are used to training and not beginners may be wasting you money. Then again, this is just a suggestion, theres no proof to say either way
Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 PM
BUTRE

I'm new at this passionford fitness sub-forum. I just never spent the time to scroll down and see whats besides Fords here. Really glad that you guys also know there's a life besides cars

I dont go to the gym for about 6 months now. Having too much work (12-14h shift plus 1h30m of travelling to go and return from work) and also I'm sort of "back to school". Knowing that each day only has 24h had to drop out something and gym and my FRST (geting it to stage 383274923749379) were put aside for the time beeing.

Creatine and my experiences:
There are a bunch of different ones!
After alot of research and trying found out that:
- The advertised differencs are really minimal when getting the advertised results.
- Some are cheap and others really expensive. Go cheap since you only need the creatine and not the shining package.
- Does your body really needs extra creatine???

At first, I didnt find any improvements to my regular training program. I was on a discipline program that besides weight lifting I would jog to get rid of fat.
Since no improvements what so ever were found, I stoped taking it.
The training and jogging were getting even more heavier and longer until I started slowing down on "developing". It seemed that my body was just aplying the brakes and didnt want to go pass that mark.

Remembered creatine and started taking it. Only at this stage I found that creatine was worth it. After a couple of weeks taking it again I could do that extra set or just keep training with only 30secs of rest between sets like when I was on light weights.

What I belive is that the body tells you when its reaching its limits.
Dont go silly on supplements and dont follow others experiences, just take them into consideration since everyone is different.

Dont just trust suplements. You'll also need to work hard to achive your goals. The suplements just gives you that extra breath to push the training a little more harder. They dont give you anything if you take them and stay at your sofa watching TV.

Sorry for the long statment but hope this helps.
Old 23-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Sorry, didnt see this reply earlier, Good advice thanks pal
Old 23-02-2006, 07:31 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

just re-read.. a great read.

looks like ill be ordering some of this to help with my training

just a spoonfull you say stu in with your protien shakes?
Old 23-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Yeah, 5grams Dave, deffo appeared to work with my recovery times between sets. Im not one whos easily led or imagines things, i am confident that, for me at least, it had a positive effect.

Ive read that hot water kills it VERY fast, so DONT put it in a brew
Old 23-02-2006, 08:47 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Old 23-02-2006, 09:22 AM
PICPower

The water retention "side effect" of creatine is good for guys looking to add bulk, they call it an unwanted side effect but only in athletes who want to keep muscle mass to a minimum and concentrate on stamina. The water retention you get is not the same as what the ladies suffer from once a month, creatine forces water molecules into the muscle fibre which is one of the main reasons to make sure you drinks lots of water, this results in an increase in lean muscle mass, the muscle is stronger and feels harder. Make sure you take a break for a couple of weeks after your 4-6 week maintenance period as the body responds much better after a break from it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:23 AM
extra18

So you can put creatine in with a protein shake? I was under the belief that it had to be taken with water. I hate water and hated drinking it even more with floaty bits in it. Wish i knew this