Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

starting back at the gym

Search this Thread

Old 27-09-2009, 01:05 AM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting back at the gym

Since i want to start going to the gym regular now iv been trying to find some info and have had totaly clear answers, and since alot of folk on here and right into the bodybuilding thoght that maybe some could answer my questions

How many reps and sets is best, iv read lots of different things from some guys saying 5-7, 8-10 and 10-12, what is best for a novice, and im guessing like 3 sets know?

Now i have a fast metabolisim, and i dont eat a shit load, infact sometime i could go a whole day without eating a decent meal, im 5 11 and 11.5 stones, i dont know if thats underwight or not but iv always been skinny, skinny arms, skinny legs, flat chest and arse lol. I did some calculation on a bodybuilding site and it said i had to intake around 3500 calls per day, now thats a shitload for me and i dont know if i could afford that in terms of food lol

So what is the best to supplement my diet with, i seen at tesco they are selling a 2kg tub of weight gain powerd, i had a quick read and it says it was like 560 calls per drink, but it was 55 quid

Then whent on the powerhouse site and had alook, they are selling some type of power that was like 1250 calls per drink and was £15 for a 2.5kg tub of it?

What is best to take before the gym, creatien keeps poping up, what is this

Im not wanting massive massive gains like a bodybuilder, infact i would like to be like the techo viking guy except not dacing like him or with the face hair
Old 27-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

£55 for a 2kg tub isn't cheap I don't think. You can buy CNP Pro Mass at my gym for a 4.5kg tub for £45. When I can do 4 good sets of 12 repetitions this is when I up the weight to were I'll get 1 set of 10 and maybe 3 sets of 8. Again, when I can do 4 good sets of 12 with this I higher it up again.

I have a tub of creatine here I bought from my gym, however reading up on it, it's not good for your liver really so I'm yet to take it. I've also read most of the professional bodybuilders don't take it because they have good levels of creatine in their diet so don't need it.

Before the gym I make sure I've eaten a good meal and plenty of water. Good complex carbbohydrates is what you want. Slow realeases of energy food. Also, if I am having a protien shake before the gym which I sometimes do instead of my tin of tuna fish, I throw in two bananas when I mix it up. These are a good source of slow release energy.

Hope that helps. I've only been doing it myself for about 5 months, so I'm learning a lot myself. So don't take my advice as if it's came from a pro', it hasn't, lol.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 27-09-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 27-09-2009, 01:30 PM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Thanks man

This is the gear iv been looking at, they must have bumped the price up a little because it was 15 quid last time i looked, but still could buy 2 of these for the same price of the stuff in tesco

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...00-2-2kg-3.php
Old 27-09-2009, 01:36 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by KnoxyGtt
Thanks man

This is the gear iv been looking at, they must have bumped the price up a little because it was 15 quid last time i looked, but still could buy 2 of these for the same price of the stuff in tesco

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...00-2-2kg-3.php
Thats for 1 weeks worth of powder in that tub!!

Try myprotein or similar for protein
Old 27-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

http://www.activesportsnutrition.co....FYIA4wodgUhp0w

I can tell you now it tastes absolutely delicious and I am fussy.

Benni.
Old 27-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

If you're just trying to build muscle I would do less reps. I usually do 3 or 4 sets of 6-8 reps. For e.g, 2 sets of 8 and one of 6. Set your weight so that you're close to failure on the last rep of every set.
Old 27-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Alan_D
If you're just trying to build muscle I would do less reps. I usually do 3 or 4 sets of 6-8 reps. For e.g, 2 sets of 8 and one of 6. Set your weight so that you're close to failure on the last rep of every set.
And if you can have someone giving you a touch and shouting 'Come on!' '1 more' as I find you will get at least two more even if you think you can't.

Benni.

Trending Topics

Old 28-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Well...I've started lifting again today after a good few months away, and holy fuck it wasn't nice. I have a pretty fast metabolism and have definitely lost quite a bit of muscle.