Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

PROBABLY A DUM QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:58 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default PROBABLY A DUM QUESTION

Will a coworth run without the alternator belts removed, I just changed the cam belt and put new alternator/power steering belts just started it up and when I rev it something rattles like FCUK, so I want to run it with it disconnected.

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Niall.b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will run ok but will discharge the battery quickly. will be ok to determine what your noise is i should imagine, good luck
Old 02-05-2005, 03:29 PM
stesrst
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

did you change the tensioner? they can cause a bad rattle, also when i first did the cam belt on mine i tensioned it up to much which caused a mental whining noise
Old 02-05-2005, 03:33 PM
tosh

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will go and try it now, hopefully it's the alternator and not the engine. As for the tension pulley, I did not change this as it has only done about 3,000 miles, but definitely sounds to be coming for the alternator area. I'll keep you posted. Cheers
Old 02-05-2005, 05:34 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you turn the tensioner in the right direction when you tensioned the belt - if not, the belt will get very close to the water pump (or is it the thermostat housing?). IIRC, you need to turn the tensioner clockwise before tightening.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:05 PM
tosh

I think i've broke something.
I can't find any thing external that is rattling, I think it is coming from the engine.

I've owned the car since 1991 and I have changed the cam belt at least 5 to 6 times myself with no problems, but this time I got the alternator pulley 1 tooth out and when I started it it sounded like one of the hydraulic lifters had collapsed (ie: depressurized) which I thought it had because the car has sat for for 2 months so I let it tick over for a few mins but the noise did not stop, so I checked the timing marks again and found it was 1 tooth out.

COULD THIS OF DAMAGED ANYTHING BY LETTING IT RUN
Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should not have damaged anything only being one tooth out.
have you reset the timing and tryed it again it might just want running a bit longer.

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2005, 10:32 PM
tosh

Yes mate I reset the timing which got rid of the tappety noise on tickover but it is still making a noise when I give it some revs.

Another thing that comes to mind is that after I removed the belt I lowerd the car for the night to stop the theaving scum around here nicking anything, but forgot to release the hand brake and take it out of gear then noticed that the crank pulley had turned away from top dead centre by about 1 inch, would this of caused any damage.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Niall.b

could be 1 of the lifters rattling, mine does it when its been lying up for a while & takes a good few miles to cure itself. If i remember correctly the Ford directive is to start it up & hold the revs @2500 to allow the buckets to refill with oil but i would let someone else on here confirm this before trying. Worst case is you've bent a valve or two.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should ( i know hindsight is great thing) wind it round by hand twice carfully with no plugs in and check that all the timing marks still line up afterwards, one tooth out may be enough if its had its head skimmed a couple of times...
Old 03-05-2005, 05:27 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

if the crank is that far out to bend valves, it would bend valves in more than one cylinder and it would misfire like a fooker and at worst would not even start!
i think one of the lifters has not pumped up properley
Old 03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
tosh

The trouble is it's as quiet as a mouse on tickover, now that i've fixed the timing ballsup, but there is still something rattling at the front of the head on what seems to be the exhaust side when I rev it, so I would of thought that if it was the lifters rattling ie: not pumped up properly then this would be heard on tickover.

As for the crank side of things by lowering the car of the jack this in turn turned the rear wheels a small amount which in turn turned the crank because I forgot to take it out of gear, so then shorley the piston would have made contact with a valve because the cambelt was not on and possibly bent a valve.

Sorry that I've almost repeated myself but I'm just trying to explain things a bit better.

And cheers for the replys lads.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

is it misfiring? because if it not misfiring it HAS NOT bent any valves, have you taken the alternator belt off and run the engine? (as you asked about that earlier.) it will be ok to run it like that for a short time, did you have the engine running when the timing was incorrect? have you completly reassembled the engine and taken it for a run? did it drive ok?
i am trying to get as much info as poss as not being able to hear the noise it is diff to tell what it is.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:01 PM
tosh

is it misfiring? because if it not misfiring it HAS NOT bent any valves?
NO ITS NOT MISFIRING.

have you taken the alternator belt off and run the engine?
YES I TOOK THE ALTERNATOR BELTS OFF AND POWER STEERING BUT IT WAS STILL THERE.

did you have the engine running when the timing was incorrect?
YES I DID.

have you completly reassembled the engine and taken it for a run?
NO BECAUSE IM AFRAID OF DOING MORE DAMAGE.

The noise sounds like there is a piece of metal getting whiped around at high speed when I rev it, I think the only way to resolve it is to take the chance and give it a little run and hope it doesent do anything terminal, or get someone local to have a listen.

I'ts at times like this that you wonder why we try doing things ourselves Great when you do a repair and it all goes well and when it doesn't you think what a twat why didn't I just give it to someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OR.... its the camshaft caps that have come loose (on the exhaust side more than likely and tyhey wont tighten up again, the heads seem to go soft with the heat and the threads fail if a gorilla has over torqued them they pull their threads out. i had to helicoil 10 of the holes on the exhasut side when i rebuilt my head last. that was ratling quite a bit.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Henshall
OR.... its the camshaft caps that have come loose (on the exhaust side more than likely and tyhey wont tighten up again, the heads seem to go soft with the heat and the threads fail if a gorilla has over torqued them they pull their threads out. i had to helicoil 10 of the holes on the exhasut side when i rebuilt my head last. that was ratling quite a bit.
had a think about it today got that in my mind and also the front bearing on the camshaft is a ball bearing type that could make a noise similar to what you described.
anouther one is to wire open the wastegate on the turbo to stop it spooling up to see if that is causing the noise.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
tosh

"nicksaph said" another one is to wire open the wastegate on the turbo to stop it spooling up to see if that is causing the noise.

Should I remove the Actuator rod before tying the Wastegate open?

Thanks again guys for the replies, it will give me a few things to suggest to stop me looking like a dumb arse if I end up getting someone else to look at it.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

yes mate just take out the split pin, remove the rod off the wastegate and hold it open, if the noise has gone when it revs up it is a turbo problem!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:08 PM
tosh

Originally Posted by nicksaph
yes mate just take out the split pin, remove the rod off the wastegate and hold it open, if the noise has gone when it revs up it is a turbo problem!
Cheers I will try that next, "will let you know"
Old 05-05-2005, 02:22 AM
pugo
Advanced PassionFord User

is it misfiring? because if it not misfiring it HAS NOT bent any valves?
this statement is not actually true, i have seen engines which have touched valves to pistons and they have bent them just enough to open up the valve clearences to make em tappety, but still let them run fine (albeit down on power)

get an engine stethascope and have a listen to it mate, you will soon find the area of noise

pugo