Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus RS MK1 Column

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 AM
horo
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus RS MK1 Column

Hello, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Holger from Germany and I drive a Focus RS MK1 number 1085. In this car, I wanted to swap the steering wheel. The steering column has collapsed. Unfortunately, there is no new / used steering column to buy in Germany. Do you have some advice for me, have any of you ever repaired the steering column, or do you know where to get a new one? I'm pretty desperate because I can not drive the car like that anymore. Many thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:03 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

When you say 'the steering column has collapsed', what exactly do you mean?

Has the end of the column sunk down to the point where you cant get the steering wheel bolted back on, or what?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:02 PM
horo
Virgin

hello, yes I can not mount the steering wheel anymore,The big spring has slid down, it looks like a circlip and a plastic ring have slipped down.
The spring would have to be fixed up and back, but I do not know how I would like to buy a new steering column.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

You should be able to get it back up., we had the same problem with our Focus RS
You need two people, a long bolt (an old head bolt is perfect) and a couple of pairs of mole grips.
take off the lower steering column trim to expose the column.
Screw the bolt into the end of the column, one person goes under the column. Their job is to clamp the column with the grips when the second person pulls the column back up by gripping the bolt and pulling upwards.
When they've pulled it up as far as possible, clamp the column under the big spring to stop it dropping back.
Now it's clamped in place, get the steering wheel back on and use another bolt (you'll probably need one about 75mm in length) to pull the column up the remainder of the way.
Once it's up, make sure the steering lock is on to hold it in place, loosen the temporary bolt and replace it with the correct one.
If you take the wheel off again, make sure the steering lock is left on to prevent it dropping down again.
Hope that helps, good luck

Last edited by bigdel; 08-05-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 14-05-2018, 06:49 PM
horo
Virgin

Thank you for the detailed description, I'll just try it, have the steering column already expanded. It looks like the circlip has loosened, and the one in the tube no longer holds a red ring. I'll post a few pictures and try my luck. Thank you