Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2wd saff stg 1 not reving past 5000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 19-04-2017, 08:53 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 2wd saff stg 1 not reving past 5000rpm

im still trying to get to the bottom of this what ive done so far. new leads/cap/rotor arm/faze sensor/grpA coil through relay with beefy wire/good spark plugs at 0.6 gap/new fuel pump and total re wire with beefy wire from battery. timming is spot on. when it comes to figures i am a divey the faze sensor is supposed to be set at 0.2 to 0.3 metric. my feeler gauges have got .003 or 0.30 which one is 0.3 allso if i link the pipe from my turbo actuator to the turbo it self what is this proving. i allso have a new amol valve.the waste gate flap moves freely when i disconect the actuator rod. the actuator seems to be holding the waste gate shut. thanks in advance
Old 20-04-2017, 06:20 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

In neutral stationary can it rev up to the limiter?
If it does and it won't when driving under load it's maybe a fuel starvation problem.
Old 20-04-2017, 06:14 PM
ray barker

Originally Posted by 155lee
In neutral stationary can it rev up to the limiter?
If it does and it won't when driving under load it's maybe a fuel starvation problem.
in neutral it sounds like its hitting the limiter but only up to 5000rpm so it cant be reaching it in theory. ive got to re gap the faze sensor ive set it at .003 so ill try it at 0.3 i am a divi when it comes to figures the faze sensor runs the injectors. im then looking into the fuel pressure. ive allso got to check the rev counter is reading right thanks lee for the reply i would like to no anyone elses views on this
Old 20-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Sierrasideways

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

Is your throttle cable tight and if you manually open the throttle with your hand does it rev past 5k?
Old 20-04-2017, 08:52 PM
ray barker

Originally Posted by Sierrasideways
Is your throttle cable tight and if you manually open the throttle with your hand does it rev past 5k?
good point im sure ive checked this out this has been rumbling on for a couple of years now and im starting to forget what ive done i wiil re check this. im allso intrested in this turbo alimination by putting the pipe of the actuator direct to the turbo i read a thread about this but didnt say what it was iliminating thanks buhh
Old 22-04-2017, 09:58 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I had the same with mine after fitting the phase sensor and then forgetting to set it up as car was sat for a week, adjusted it up and was fine after. What make spark plugs are you using?
Old 23-04-2017, 12:50 PM
bigdel
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

If your struggling to know the difference between 0.003 and 0.3 on your feeler gauges, then therein lies your problem I guess
Old 23-04-2017, 03:51 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

When you changed the phase sensor did you remove dizzy?
If you did is the timing correct?

Other things to look for is fuel pressure, kinked fuel lines, crank sensor gap and l crank pulley lugs.
Old 23-04-2017, 06:22 PM
ray barker

i thought i found the problem i gapped it by mistake at .003 and not 0.30 the faze sensor i mean because im bit of a divy but made no difference. so now im guna look at the fuel pressure and try another rev counter. im running standered ford plugs gapped at 0.60 now im running a groupA coil i could probably increase the gap which would help with boost the plugs are new. yeh the dizzy has been out for a bottom end re build its timmed properly. the pointer on the aux shaft is in the middle of the half moon and the middle of the rotor arm is on the scribed mark on the dizzy body on number one with everything on tdc. all the lugs are on the bottom pulley are ok.when i took the faze sensor out the other night it sits on a magnetic plastic covering with mared lines on it but couldnt see no relavance to it. the faze sensor has to holes to screw it down one elonggated and one ordinary so it can only go in one place but with only varied gap. when i took the old one out i painted tippex arround it its vertually in mirror position. the dizzy shaft has little play if anything. got new fuel lines new pump. some say the standered ignition system isnt good enough but chap at my work his saff is on 360 bhp stg 3 chip on standered everything coil/plugs/leads/pump old wiring the lot. i really appreciate your feed back on this everey body
Old 23-04-2017, 06:52 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Leave the plug gaps at 0.6mm

Have you tried another ignition amp?

I guess you did not remove magnetic base from sensor?

Last edited by costina; 23-04-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 23-04-2017, 08:00 PM
ray barker

Originally Posted by costina
Leave the plug gaps at 0.6mm

Have you tried another ignition amp?

I guess you did not remove magnetic base from sensor?
ive not tried another ignition amp yet checking fuel pressure next. i left the magnetic base there its obviously there for a reason some kind of insulation because the sensor is magnetic. im old school mechanic still learning about modded tuned stuff ignition amp sounds like a likely candidate as well. when check the fuel pressure i amagine i check it after the reg on the fuel rail and plumb it in to the rubber hose. i thought there was a tyre valve type fitting on the end of the fuel rail cant see nothing there i must of been thinking of something els thanks
Old 23-04-2017, 08:05 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

T into the small pipe between the rail and reg.
I would advise to replace this pipe once tested as its a common 2wd fire hazzard.

From memory its 3.5bar with vac pipe disconected at idle.
Old 23-04-2017, 08:40 PM
ray barker

Originally Posted by costina
T into the small pipe between the rail and reg.
I would advise to replace this pipe once tested as its a common 2wd fire hazzard.

From memory its 3.5bar with vac pipe disconected at idle.
thanks buh