Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

DPF problems

Old 13-11-2016, 08:09 PM
jmanuel
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPF problems

Hi there,

I'm experiencing some problems with my Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2007.
Since I bought it, I had to deal with several problems and now it seems that the last one is related to the DPF.

The car has 79000 miles at the odometer and it had a new DPF the last year with a full DPF fluid refill. The garage who did the job wasn't a ford dealer and so there is a chance they put the wrong DPF fluid in it (it is brown instead of blue) and they didn't reset the counter properly.
The result is: the car is running without any problem, the DPF differential pressure is never more than 5KPa but I've got three errors on ForScan:
- P2459: DPF regeneration Frequency, maximum number of regeneration demands being reached.
- P1927 and P1932 that seem related to a low DPF level in the Fuel Additive Tank.

To me, it seems to be a problem related to the DPF counter and its resetting.
To do that, I'm thinking about getting a cloned VCM II from China and do the job on my own. I tried to drop the car off to a Ford dealer and they told me the problem could be the fuel pump and they would need a couple of working hours to be sure of it...which seems unlikely to me.

So, I have a couple of questions for you guys
- do you think the counter could be the problem of those errors?
- where can I find a good site to buy a good VCM II and the IDS? I found many Chinese sites but I'm not sure I can trust them.

Any help will be really appreciate since I have been dealing with this problem for a month and I don't have any clue.
Old 14-11-2016, 05:33 AM
grcossie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It should be Brown. Can be they don`t have reset it
The following users liked this post:
jmanuel (14-11-2016)
Old 14-11-2016, 06:36 PM
jmanuel
Virgin

Thank you mate. Do you have any idea about the VCM II as well?
Old 14-11-2016, 06:47 PM
london_chris
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

can you not get a regen forced and reset the counter......

that way, you can measure the % of the pre regen filter, the % of the post regen filter and restet the parameter of the counter to zero to allow for the procedure

most dpf faults are not actually filter related but pressure sensor error leading to faulty readings pre and post dpf.
The following users liked this post:
jmanuel (14-11-2016)
Old 14-11-2016, 09:08 PM
jmanuel
Virgin

Thank you for your reply!

Actually, I was wondering if the pressure sensor in the fuel additive tank is faulty. Are you referring to this?
I think both pressure sensors (above and below the DPF filter) are working fine because the differential pressure at the DPF is never more than 5kPa (even when the car is running in 4th gear on a motorway).
Old 15-11-2016, 05:32 AM
grcossie

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jmanuel
Thank you mate. Do you have any idea about the VCM II as well?
It`s alot of them on ebay, but i have only use the oe Ford ones. I now a guy, that bought one ebay, and that Works Perfect, and only miss the net update, who you don`t get without Connection to Ford
Old 15-11-2016, 06:23 PM
lesley7
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmanuel
Hi there,

I'm experiencing some problems with my Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2007.
Since I bought it, I had to deal with several problems and now it seems that the last one is related to the DPF.

The car has 79000 miles at the odometer and it had a new DPF the last year with a full DPF fluid refill. The garage who did the job wasn't a ford dealer and so there is a chance they put the wrong DPF fluid in it (it is brown instead of blue) and they didn't reset the counter properly.
The result is: the car is running without any problem, the DPF differential pressure is never more than 5KPa but I've got three errors on ForScan:
- P2459: DPF regeneration Frequency, maximum number of regeneration demands being reached.
- P1927 and P1932 that seem related to a low DPF level in the Fuel Additive Tank.

To me, it seems to be a problem related to the DPF counter and its resetting.
To do that, I'm thinking about getting a cloned VCM II from China and do the job on my own. I tried to drop the car off to a Ford dealer and they told me the problem could be the fuel pump and they would need a couple of working hours to be sure of it...which seems unlikely to me.

So, I have a couple of questions for you guys
- do you think the counter could be the problem of those errors?
- where can I find a good site to buy a good VCM II and the IDS? I found many Chinese sites but I'm not sure I can trust them.

Any help will be really appreciate since I have been dealing with this problem for a month and I don't have any clue.
i would get it sorted and sell it i used to be a mechanic untill recently i left a deposit on the same make /modle but slightly newer just happened to mention to a m8 whos still in trade warned me of luckily i got the deposit back what i read on the net backed up what he told me dpf problems are just the start the 1.6 engine is fine in peugeots and citreons but when ford put there crap on it theres problems its common to find low mileage ones that wont start get towed in to his garage to find the bottom end totally shaged lack of oil pressure stops them starting but the 1.4 is fine
Old 15-11-2016, 06:45 PM
jamie's

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Dont know who told you that last part but the 1.4 is way worse than the 1.6,
and the 1.6 when fitted to the peugeot/citroen is every bit as bad for oil pressure issues,
Usualy starts with the turbo going then engine knocks when its been replaced,
No end of problems with them
Old 15-11-2016, 06:47 PM
jmanuel
Virgin

Originally Posted by grcossie
It`s alot of them on ebay, but i have only use the oe Ford ones. I now a guy, that bought one ebay, and that Works Perfect, and only miss the net update, who you don`t get without Connection to Ford
Thank you mate! I bought a VCM II on eBay. I keep you posted about any update
Old 13-05-2018, 08:46 PM
jmanuel
Virgin

Default End of the game

Hi All,
In the end, to fix the issue with the Fuel Additive Tank I had to buy a new Fuel Additive Tank. I did not find a way to cheat the system with resistors or things like that.
Unfortunately, I did not find a garage to replace the faulty additive tank as the job has been described as massive. Anyway, I find a workaround which I hope could help someone else: I connected the new Fuel Additive Tank in parallel to the Fuel Additive Module. I cut the sensor wire (yellow one) from the faulty FAT and the motor wire from the new one (green/black one) and put the new FAT in the boot.

Search this Thread