Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Transit van cut out problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
bstrippy
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transit van cut out problem!

Hi all.. forgive me for the non introduction but i come here as a desperate transit owner.
I have a 2002 mwb transit 280 dura torq that for the last 4 weeks has a cut out problem that has got to the point now its in the hands of a local garage for them to scratch their heads at.
the long of it... she runs as sweet as a nut.. she has done 85000 from new and has had one owner ( I am now the 2nd)... 4 weeks ago she cut out on me twice within 150 ft of my house from cold in the morning.. thought nothing of it and nothing happened for a further 4 days then she done it again.. again when i left my house in the morning.. started fine drove for the next 3 days without a hitch.. then she done it randomly in the afternoon whilst fully warm from a days work in the 3rd lane of then M1!

After that occasion, she run sweet as a nut for the next 2 weeks no problem whatsoever until last friday it started again.... sometimes she restarts 1st time.. sometimes it takes 3-5 goes (no fire just cranking over)... finally gave in yesterday as she cut out 12 times in the space of 200 ft.... went into a loacal garage... threw a code for |Krank case sensore... they replaced it today but she cut out on the road test!.... I am annoyed i have to pay for this as it never left the garage but i dont know the rules?

Basically the details are thats she runs fine ...perfectly! but then cuts out ( glow light comes on after she cuts out, not before) she dosnt smoke, water temp is fine she dosnt miss fire she is great apart from this.
She does it first off in the morning or in the middle of the day.. hot or cold... any speed.

I have read the forum on similar problems and i have to then rule out:
fuel filter as it was changed 2 months ago
wiring loom round the back of the starter ( I have checked this and it is no where near the starter)

I have been told a few things that it might be
Lift pump?... but im not sure this model has one
I also found out something interesting today which i have relayed to the garage for them, to check tomorrow morning and that is i am a gardener and carry lots of grass cutting which are left in the van some times for a ggod few days... i was informed from a friend today who had the same problems and it turned out to be a corroded fuel relay down under the dash on the passenger side caused by the excessive condensation casuse by fimenting grass!!... i must admit i have got in my cab some mornings and it is very condensating!.. dripping in fact but in the back not the cab tho?

I have also spotted that the wiring loom where it connects to the pump has black tape round it... could this be a suspect?

I am very greatfull for anything you guys can throw my way to help solve this as its really getting me down now..

thanks
Ben
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

common prob, sounds like the fuel pump is about to die i'm afraid
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM
bstrippy
Virgin

Thanks mate... unfortunately that's what the garage have told me today.. gutted I could cry!..
Old 13-05-2014, 12:54 PM
bstrippy
Virgin

Have to raise this all over again.. this problem has still not gone away!!.. shortly after my last post last year I had a new injector pump fitted.. 5 weeks went by no problem then she cut out again.. 3 times in fact in a couple of miles.. took her bk to the garage and they changed the crank shaft sensor again.... carried on cutting out... so a friend advised me to use the spare key?... so I did and I had no cut out for 6 weeks so I returned to the garage and argued the toss with them and they refunded me some money... feeling pleased I went on my way.
a week later she cut out again?.. just the once and started straight away and off I went again for 2 months till October when she cut out just once again and started and away... until 29th dec then the same again!.. just the once... then nothing until 9th may this year?.. 4 months later it has returned again?.. random cut outs something's starting straight back up sometimes not for 3-4 turns .. this is very strange and frustrating!... I am having her plugged in again tomorrow bit I'm not holding my breath as I know this is difficult to diagnose but any help is very much appreciated.. it's so frustrating as she is as good as gold other than this. thanks all. Ben
Old 29-06-2014, 11:55 AM
woolf
Virgin

Get the codes read,sounds like injectors to me!
get a leak back test done.
Old 29-06-2014, 05:53 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

If the code it brings is P0340

You need to change the CAMSHAFT sensor, not the crank sensor.

Camshaft sensors can cause the fault you're describing, changed loads of cam sensors and hardly any crank sensors on these.

If the ECU cannot see a crank and cam sensor signal it cuts the engine out as no engine 'sync' is seen.

Last edited by GVK.; 29-06-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Steve 131
Virgin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Similar Problem

Hi, I have a similar problem as this with my 2001 2.4 DI Turbo. It started randomly cutting out. Then one day it wouldn't start and I moved the Crank sensor wires and it fired up. I figured they must have been earthing somewhere so I then taped them up and it went ok for a couple of days until it stopped again. It would then fire up in the morning ok and run for 5 mins before cutting out. It would then start and stop for the next 5 or so Klm up to about 10 times. After this point it would run all day. On one occasion it was raining and it didn't stop at all. Was that just a fluke or it must be in the electrics somewhere? I'm in a remote area so getting to a scan tool is difficult. I suspected it may have something to do with the crank angle sensor so I replaced it and the wiring plug. It ran the same for 2 days and now it is worse. Starts up fine when cold but then stops and I can't get it running long enough to get out of the driveway. (Faulty sensor?) The pump was recon about 12 months ago. It no longer has a dual mass flywheel. Tomorrow I plan on putting the old crank sensor back in to see what happens. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 AM
davie 3 door
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

check all connections at starter motor, im sure they corrode or break away.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

I have seen the engine bay wiring loom chafe where it goes around the starter motor on some Transits.
Old 20-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Mower
Virgin

Help needed. Hi I have a 2001 280 SWB Transit diesel, The problem occurs after about 8mls, it stutters and then dies, it may take 2/3 trys of the key for it to start again but it could stop again 200 yrds up the road or it may get me home. Im baffled.
Please help Jane
Old 20-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Steve 131
Virgin

Mine had the same problem. It would go all day if it was raining. The solution was a bad earth. It will overheat the relay and cut out.
Old 20-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Mower
Virgin

Hi Steve when you say overheat the relay, what do you mean what relay?
Old 20-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Steve 131
Virgin

It will overheat the fuel pump relay and shut down. Take it for a drive and when it cuts out touch the relays and you will know if that is the problem. I think from memory there are 3 earths. The one that was bad on mine was behind the fuel filter.
The following users liked this post:
Mower (20-02-2017)
Old 20-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Mower
Virgin

Thanks Steve, i will try that tomorrow
Regards Jane
Old 13-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Keith Dwyer
Virgin

Originally Posted by bstrippy
Hi all.. forgive me for the non introduction but i come here as a desperate transit owner.
I have a 2002 mwb transit 280 dura torq that for the last 4 weeks has a cut out problem that has got to the point now its in the hands of a local garage for them to scratch their heads at.
the long of it... she runs as sweet as a nut.. she has done 85000 from new and has had one owner ( I am now the 2nd)... 4 weeks ago she cut out on me twice within 150 ft of my house from cold in the morning.. thought nothing of it and nothing happened for a further 4 days then she done it again.. again when i left my house in the morning.. started fine drove for the next 3 days without a hitch.. then she done it randomly in the afternoon whilst fully warm from a days work in the 3rd lane of then M1!

After that occasion, she run sweet as a nut for the next 2 weeks no problem whatsoever until last friday it started again.... sometimes she restarts 1st time.. sometimes it takes 3-5 goes (no fire just cranking over)... finally gave in yesterday as she cut out 12 times in the space of 200 ft.... went into a loacal garage... threw a code for Krank case sensore... they replaced it today but she cut out on the road test!.... I am annoyed i have to pay for this as it never left the garage but i dont know the rules?

Basically the details are thats she runs fine ...perfectly! but then cuts out ( glow light comes on after she cuts out, not before) she dosnt smoke, water temp is fine she dosnt miss fire she is great apart from this.
She does it first off in the morning or in the middle of the day.. hot or cold... any speed.

I have read the forum on similar problems and i have to then rule out:
fuel filter as it was changed 2 months ago
wiring loom round the back of the starter ( I have checked this and it is no where near the starter)

I have been told a few things that it might be
Lift pump?... but im not sure this model has one
I also found out something interesting today which i have relayed to the garage for them, to check tomorrow morning and that is i am a gardener and carry lots of grass cutting which are left in the van some times for a ggod few days... i was informed from a friend today who had the same problems and it turned out to be a corroded fuel relay down under the dash on the passenger side caused by the excessive condensation casuse by fimenting grass!!... i must admit i have got in my cab some mornings and it is very condensating!.. dripping in fact but in the back not the cab tho?

I have also spotted that the wiring loom where it connects to the pump has black tape round it... could this be a suspect?

I am very greatfull for anything you guys can throw my way to help solve this as its really getting me down now..

thanks
Ben
Hiya mate , had the same problem with a 06 transit ! Had it into fords they charged me Ł700 that didn’t make a bit of difference!! They then said it needed a new Ecu!! But wouldn’t say for sure that it would cure it ! No one had a clue !! I changed the fuel pump relay and have never had a problem since ! A year ago !
Old 14-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Steve 131
Virgin

Clean all of the earths and replace the fuel pump relay. This happened to mine as stated earlier. It can also burn out the fuel pump ecu which is located on top of the pump if it goes on long enough. Yours sounds fairly similar to what mine was doing.
Old 17-08-2019, 01:38 AM
Jgmotors
Virgin

Default Ford transit 2.4 diesel 2004 randomly cutting out

Hi people could anyone help me??
I have a 2004 mk 6 transit the speedo and rev gauge and temperature gauge keep flicking on and off and the mileage keeps going - - - - - and randomly it cuts out but starts straight back up again
Old 17-08-2019, 02:09 AM
Jgmotors
Virgin

Originally Posted by Mower
Help needed. Hi I have a 2001 280 SWB Transit diesel, The problem occurs after about 8mls, it stutters and then dies, it may take 2/3 trys of the key for it to start again but it could stop again 200 yrds up the road or it may get me home. Im baffled.
Please help Jane
did you ever sort this problem as I have got the same problem