Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

s1 rs turbo oil light??

Search this Thread

Old 17-02-2005, 09:26 PM
RScrew69
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s1 rs turbo oil light??

right done the sump gasket on s1 today, fitted it all back together, put new oil in and filter, and disconnected plug on dizzy and took fuse for inj out and cranked it over until oil light went out, but it never after trying and trying.

So connected everything back up, and fired it up, the oil light was staying on, and gently rev'd it a little and the light went out, but then started flickering again. About 3mins after with the light coming on an off, 1 or 2 of the tappets started becoming noisey and the oil light was still on, so switched it off, not to sure whats happened any ideas?

only done the sump gasket cos the bottom of the dipstick broke and fell into the sump. Theres no blue smoke from it or any knocking etc from the engine, would it be ok, to replace the oil pump with a new item?

basiclly the oil light stays on whilst idleing, any ideas as to what may of happened??

cheeRS
Old 17-02-2005, 10:57 PM
GrimmeRS2K
Advanced PassionFord User

check that you int leaking oil from around the pump where it meets the block, mine done it the other day after i put a new sump on, wondered why head was noisy looked underneath to see oil pissing out, fcuked the cam up aswell!
Old 17-02-2005, 11:02 PM
RScrew69

no oil leaking out from bottom

cheers
Old 17-02-2005, 11:06 PM
GrimmeRS2K

knocked the oil pressure switch wire? when fitting the filter?, u must of disturbed something if it was running ok before,

or just bad timing that the oil pump has packed in!.
Old 17-02-2005, 11:09 PM
RScrew69

oil pressure wire is still plugged on, have checked that already, and tappets started getting louder as the light stayed on for the 3-4mins.

Would it be ok to just replace the oil pump? its not blue smoking or anything

cheeRS again
Old 17-02-2005, 11:19 PM
GrimmeRS2K

yeah u can change the pump, might aswell get the high pressure one, not an easy job to change though due to room its easier to undo the engine mount bolt in the drivers side wheel arch a few turns the engine moves a bit allowing just enough room for the pump to slide off, had to change mine twice last week shit job
Old 17-02-2005, 11:25 PM
RScrew69

so the oil pump is on the gearbox side or the cambelt side? don't know where it is exactly
Old 17-02-2005, 11:36 PM
GrimmeRS2K

cambelt side mate just under the water pump, your best bet is to get a ford gasket (green one) use sum red sealer and stick the gasket to the oil pump leave it five mins then put the pump back on, it keeps the gasket in place, i learnt this after two attempts last week and the pump leaked!, ok now though.
Old 17-02-2005, 11:57 PM
RScrew69

the only thing i didn't replace and did rip a little, is the little gasket for the oil pick up pipe. It gets sandwiched beteen the oil pump pipe and the oil pick up pipe and you screw the strainer/pick up pipe to the tube thing. This would be above the oil level, so the car would be sucking up air rather than oil if this gasket hasn't been put on.

sound about right?

cheeRS
Old 18-02-2005, 11:14 AM
rich2302
Part of the Furniture

Make sure this isnt a fault with the strainer, these often get blocked and wont pickup enough oil on idle, the other thing is it may have moved slighlty out of place which could also cause this, if the strainer is blocked, the best thing to do is wedge a load of newspaper into it and around it and then set fire to the paper, (should point out at this stage that this should be done with the strainer off the car!)

it will be easier to check this before tackling the pump, if it all looks ok, then oil pump it is
Old 18-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Moonie

Originally Posted by RScrew69
the only thing i didn't replace and did rip a little, is the little gasket for the oil pick up pipe. It gets sandwiched beteen the oil pump pipe and the oil pick up pipe and you screw the strainer/pick up pipe to the tube thing. This would be above the oil level, so the car would be sucking up air rather than oil if this gasket hasn't been put on.

sound about right?

cheeRS
That will be your problem
Old 18-02-2005, 06:10 PM
RScrew69

all sorted, new sump gasket and little gasket, primed fired up and shes mint again,

cheers for your help peeps