Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Back to 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
GraphiteGray
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to 4WD

Hi all, I have decided to revert my Sierra 24v estate back to 4WD and have purchased a suitable donor car ( XR4x4 )

First of all I hear the 4x4 sump will need modding to fit the bottom of the 24v, anyone had any experience of doing this?

Secondly I have a Granada 7.5 LSD fitted, can I keep this or will I have to fit the rear diff from the 4x4? As I I'm not sure whether having mismatched front and rear diffs will cause problems?

That's it for now, thanks for your help
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGray
Hi all, I have decided to revert my Sierra 24v estate back to 4WD and have purchased a suitable donor car ( XR4x4 )

First of all I hear the 4x4 sump will need modding to fit the bottom of the 24v, anyone had any experience of doing this?

Secondly I have a Granada 7.5 LSD fitted, can I keep this or will I have to fit the rear diff from the 4x4? As I I'm not sure whether having mismatched front and rear diffs will cause problems?

That's it for now, thanks for your help
easy to do, you simply place everything from the 4wd donor onto the car you are using

here's a list:
struts (thicker)
hubs (fwd obviously)
tca's (pinch bolt not nut and bolt)
arb (different angles)
crossmember (different mounting)
steering rack (different mounting)
steering intermediate shaft (longer)
sump (to mount the diff onto and carries the speed sensor and speedo drive)
oil pump (you need to buy a new one really but the 4wd ones have a differently shaped pick up pipe to clear the intermediate shaft that runs through the sump, get one for the xr4x4 2.9)
gearbox (obviously)
rear prop (shorter as the box is longer)
rear diff (to match the ratio's front and rear unless you are running a 3.64:1 rear diff)

that should be about it, but you should be aware that you may need to experiment with the starter motor as some will fit and some won't, some have 3 bolts and some had 2 and some had 9 teeth and some had 8

and obviously you've bought a 2.9 donor and not the 2.9 or the 2.0 yes?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
GraphiteGray
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep it's a 2.9 donor, the estate still has the 4x4 front set up minus the diff, driveshafts and box etc, for some reason it was changed to 2wd with a gutless type 9, and for less than half the price of getting a decent 2wd box I have bought a whole 4wd car.