Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Engine Conversion - Puma 1.7 into Fiesta Mk5 1.25

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2011, 08:28 AM
CWA
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Engine Conversion - Puma 1.7 into Fiesta Mk5 1.25

Hi guys, a mate and I are going to attempt the commonly done puma engine conversion into a Mk5 Fiesta 1.25 zetec.

We've seen a Fiesta which we are pretty happy on buying, it's a 2001 so because it's post 1999 it will have digital clocks?

We've also located an engine near us, which is from a 2002 Puma.

We're pretty mechanically competant and won't have a problem getting the engine in, our only worry is wiring it up and knowing what loom to use, what ECU, what clocks to use and whether the immobilisers or transponder rings will be a problem.

Also, the engine comes with gearbox, manifolds and MAF sensor, drivehshafts and all that but it doesn't come with the loom or ECU (I don't think). Would it be a problem if we bought a loom and ECU from a similar engined Puma (post 1999) and used that on the other engine we are going to buy?

I'm assuming we would need a matching key chip for the ECU (is that right?) and would there be anything else to worry about? Could we wire the same year loom in with the original clocks from the 1.25 Fiesta, assuming they will both be digital?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks, Chris
Old 27-07-2011, 11:12 AM
ryan_gwa
Regular Contributor

Ive done the conversion myself with a Zetec S. Was a while back right enough.

You will need the loom from the Puma, im certain it disconnects from the fusebox and is almost indentical to the Fezzy loom. I think there is two types of loom aswell, something to do with the plugs having two or three connectors, im sure someone else will explain it better.

You also need the left-hand engine mounting arm, it's either longer or shorter than whats on the fiesta. It's made from aluminium, I think you can still buy them from Ford brand new.

You will need the ECU obviously and the barrel and key from the ignition for the immobiliser.

I dont know about your clocks because the Zetec S had digital dials and so did the donar Puma.

You will need to fiddle with the fuel pipes to fit the 1.7 fuel rail.

Also I think there is a small bit wiring to do, something to do with putting the car into reverse and the rear fog light comes on? Like I said, it was a fair few years ago.

I may be right in thinking you need the Puma downpipe aswell.

Just make sure you grab the MAF sensor from the 1.7 aswell or it wont fuel corretly.

Hope this helps.
Old 27-07-2011, 04:45 PM
xrmalin
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a fast ford mag from a couple of months ago when jamie did a step by step guide to this conversion i'll have a look and see if i can find it out to tell you which one it was

mark.
Old 27-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Churtz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much all been said. You need loom to match the fuse box in the fez....so the engine bay fusebox will have 2 or 3 rectangle plugs along the back...puma loom will need to be the same as this and will need to be a digital loom aswell. This is plug and play.

You don't need the puma downpipe, but the 1.25 exhaust system will be far to restrictive and you will notice a mass of torque and it will die at 5k revs until u change it **been there done that** haha.

It's quite a straight forward job and will give u some fun.

Matt
Old 27-07-2011, 06:16 PM
bad_boys3
Virgin

Ford Manuals http://d6a1fp16wk9we0e52hqgqa08nx.hop.clickbank.net/
Old 27-07-2011, 06:25 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 17-08-2011, 09:12 PM
CWA

Cool

Hey guys, we've pretty much finished this conversion now. Got the puma engine and box in ok, also switched the looms and ECU's over and plugged them all in.

We just have a few plugs that are confusing us, I wonder if anyone on knows what they are. These plugs all came off the puma loom which we got from a different puma to the one the engine came from, which may be part of the problem.

First, the easy ones. Just wanted to confirm these two are the old 1.25 MAP sensor and feed wire for it, from the old 1.25 inlet mani, which now won't have a plug from the Puma loom?

Name:  photo14.jpg
Views: 5003
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  photo13.jpg
Views: 4932
Size:  69.0 KB

Next, we can't find any connectors that fit to our Puma lambda sensors, which have circular connectors with four pins (same as the 1.25 fiesta ones). Closest we could find was this, but aren't sure why it is squarish even though it has the same number of pins..

Name:  photo12.jpg
Views: 5027
Size:  54.7 KB

Finally just generally aren't sure what these four below are (2 in the first pic, 2 in the second where only one is circled). Just as a side note, we don't have the radiator fitted in yet, could some of these be for that?

Name:  photo11-1.jpg
Views: 5080
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  photo10-1.jpg
Views: 5192
Size:  56.6 KB

Trending Topics

Old 17-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Churtz

Right. Doesn't have a map sensor that is a fuel breather/carbon canister valve. The triangle plug goes to the electronic part of the speedo cable coming out of the back of the gearbox. The one in the bottom pic is fan. I'll check te others

Matt
Old 17-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Churtz

Smaller one in bottom pic is ac fan I think. That's my memory of puma looms exhausted. Haha

Matt
Old 17-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

Name:  photo14.jpg
Views: 4892
Size:  66.6 KB
Carbon Valve
Name:  photo13.jpg
Views: 4944
Size:  69.0 KB

Pushes on the inlet manifold near the pipe for the fuel pressure reg.

Name:  photo12.jpg
Views: 4879
Size:  54.7 KB

Lambda sensor plug.

Name:  photo11-1.jpg
Views: 4784
Size:  33.1 KB

White on is either abs wire or bonnect open wire.
Black one is either gearbox speed or reverse lights

Name:  photo10-1.jpg
Views: 5184
Size:  56.6 KB

Fan plug if you had an aircon fan. If you dont, match the correct cloured wires up with your exsiting fan plug and cut and joint them to your old fan plug.

The plug with no matching colours can just be left unpluged
Old 18-08-2011, 11:10 AM
CWA

Thanks for the replies chaps. Done the two in the bottom pic (both were for the fan as Churtz said, one for the motor and one for the thermoswitch i believe). The connectors fitted so I assume it is an 'aircon' fan, although I can't tell the difference? The fan is off the fiesta which had aircon, is it all to do with the size and packaging due to the extra rad or something?

Also Mike, that hose you said was for the vacuum feed to the fuel pressure reg.. that line in the pic is actually connected to what we now know is the purge control valve. So no worries as to what to do with it, I think it came off the airbox of the fiesta, does the Puma have this system? As we can't find a connector to attach to the purge control valve shown in pic one..

Moe importantly at the moment, does anyone know the best way of getting the pats key chip out of our key? We have a black squarish key with no buttons on it, just a red spot in one corner.. apparently this pulls out to reveal the chip but having real problems prising it out?
Old 18-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Churtz

Yeh, they can be a right pain. I pretty much ruined the red bit getting it out. But on my spare key it just fell out!! Haha

Matt
Old 18-08-2011, 11:37 AM
DrewSS
Regular Contributor

how long did it take you in total mate?

the red tabs are cocks to get out, iv seen people just stick the old key on the key ring as its close enough to still work then as well as using your old key for the ignition, doors etc
Old 18-08-2011, 06:23 PM
CWA

Hey guys, finally got it running

Ended up drilling through the red tab on the key and busting the old chip lol. But the new one is in and the car started all good and tidy like!

DrewSS, we must have spent about 2 eight our days on it and about 4 three hour evening shifts on it in total - quite a bit more than other people seem to have but we did have a few set backs and other confusions lol.

Few more problems, we still get a fault code for lack of the 'purge control valve' so I guess the Puma is supposed to have one, as the ECU is expecting it. We're going to need to find a way of wiring a plug in or something as we can't find one for it anywhere.

MAIN problem, we can't engage any gears. We thought it would be the clutch needing bleeding but we've done it loads and get the new fluid through from the top with no air bubbles coming through at all to explain why the clutch isn't disengaging when pressing the pedal.
Is there any way of adjusting the clutch apart from bleeding the system?

In detail, the problem is we can't engage first, or reverse. I just wanted to check that this isn't the gear linkage clamp needing it's position adjusted.. Surely if it was this it would need adjusting forwards or backwards, and either first could be selected without reverse, or the other way round? Does this sound right at all?
Old 19-08-2011, 10:18 PM
CWA

Just a cheeky bump for the purge control valve problem. I don't suppose anyone on here has access to a Puma wiring diagram from some source? I know they didn't do a Haynes manual for one, and can't think where else to find this information.

We don't know whether we have a plug to put on the purge control valve that is currently loose somewhere or whether it's been snipped from the loom. We know there is supposed to be one as the ECU is throwing a fault code because nothing is plugged in (P0443).

Also, would I be right in guessing that pre-2001 Puma's only had one lambda sensor? Did these cars also have purge control valves? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.
Old 19-08-2011, 10:28 PM
GTiLaskey
Lasks

Originally Posted by CWA
Just a cheeky bump for the purge control valve problem. I don't suppose anyone on here has access to a Puma wiring diagram from some source? I know they didn't do a Haynes manual for one, and can't think where else to find this information.

We don't know whether we have a plug to put on the purge control valve that is currently loose somewhere or whether it's been snipped from the loom. We know there is supposed to be one as the ECU is throwing a fault code because nothing is plugged in (P0443).

Also, would I be right in guessing that pre-2001 Puma's only had one lambda sensor? Did these cars also have purge control valves? Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Get yourself onto zsoc.com i've got the majority of my bits for my racing puma conversion on there mate! Really helpfull people on it, aload of people have done coversions too so know what they are talking about!
Old 23-08-2011, 11:21 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

took ya time,

done mine in 4 hours, including taking the old lump out,
tis a lovely conversion to do.

i used a tape ecu, one lamba management,

also, have you done the first gear tourque limiter by pass, made such a differance, gives you another 40bhp in first gear
The following users liked this post:
Mk4 Rick (04-03-2016)
Old 23-08-2011, 06:50 PM
CWA

Yeah we did take our time! First ever engine change, didn't really want to rush it and fuck it up. We didn't have any engine crane either and had to spend ages getting hold of all the parts we didn't know we needed etc.

Just test drove it today and it works a treat. Not too bothered about the torque limiter really as I doubt we'll be keeping it for ourselves, but roughly what's involved in removing it? Is it a mechanical limiter or something to do with the electrics?

Also, can anyone answer my question on the purge control valve? :S
Old 23-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Churtz

Originally Posted by CWA
what's involved in removing it? Is it a mechanical limiter or something to do with the electrics?

Also, can anyone answer my question on the purge control valve? :S
It's the brown wire on the electronic part of the speedo cable that needs to be interrupted to stop the limiter. You will need to wire in a switch so its just unlimited in 1st gear, as it's not good to run the car all the time without the limiter. It basically stops telling the ecu how fast your going.

I'll have a look at my pals puma tomorrow for you for the purge valve.

Matt
Old 20-03-2013, 07:14 PM
molliwopp
Because Ford.

Bring up an old thread. I have a 2002 1.25 in a gorgeous metalic grey that i want to put a puma in. My question is, how safenis it to the turbo this engine?
Old 20-03-2013, 07:26 PM
CWA

Speaking for myself, I don't know anything about turbo'ing engines, so can't help you I'm afraid. Although Passionford sure is the right place to get you started!
Old 15-03-2014, 09:58 PM
jasonz91
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Default Help & thank you!

First of all this thread has been very help full with my current on going conversion, its just i cant figure out how to connect the clutch pipe from my existing fiesta to the puma gearbox, any ideas?

Also i'm guessing i'm going to have to remove the dash to change the ECU over?

other than these issues its all okay, another query is that the fuel pipes, i have already got some bodged in its just there pretty much next to the manifold how did you get around it?