Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ka 1.3 Duratec overheating

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Penmachno
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ka 1.3 Duratec overheating

Hi. I've been struggling with an overheating problem for a while and I've run out of ideas. These are the symptoms:

The car has always run a bit hot, but lately this has been getting severe. I am constantly having to top up the coolant by several litres a week. The coolant (just water for the moment) boils in the header tank and the pressure is such that the tank has now developed a crack, which adds to the water loss. When the fluid level is correct, the rad is hot all over; when it is low, the rad is luke warm at the top and cold at the bottom. The heater works.

This is what I have tried so far:

Had the engine pressure tested - fine.

Removed the thermostat - no difference, except no heater now.

Flushed the rad - good flow.

Checked the water pump - impeller looks and turns fine.

Flushed through all the hoses I can reach.

Removed thermostat housing - water running through head.

The water flow when the engine is running seems a bit sluggish. I would welcome any suggestions as to what else to try. Cheers
Old 20-06-2011, 12:53 PM
ChrisH
Regular Contributor

Well if you're having to top the water up that much, it's obviously going somewhere. Take the pressure cap off and start the car up and just watch the coolant in the tank, look out for little air bubbles. Are your cylinders filled with water? Does your car have a lot of white smoke?
Old 20-06-2011, 01:41 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried a new cap ?, if the seal is not good it will allow the water to boil, giving everything you have.
tabetha
Old 27-06-2011, 09:05 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

new header tank new thermastsat check for water bleed nipples on any of the hoses espec heater ones could be air locking follow water bleed procedure if dont no get back to me
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Penmachno
Virgin

Hello again.

Thanks for your replies. Turns out it was the head gasket

Getting the head off has proved to be trying - half the bolts on the cylinder cover and inlet manifold were so rotten, we ended up having to hammer sockets on them three sizes smaller. One bolt under the inlet manifold refuses to budge, so we've had to force the manifold away from the head.

I've decided to replace the camshaft whilst I'm there. Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy one? There doesn't seem to be much about on the internet (or I'm not looking in the right places).

Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Penmachno
Virgin

Default Um ... leftover bolts!

I finished fitting a new head gasket yesterday and all is well, except ... one last problem.

I have two short 10mm bolts left over. I was looking for somewhere to put them all through the rebuild, but no opportunity came up. They are different from any other bolt I removed, very clean, too.

Any ideas?