Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

New Focus Titanium TDCI Stop Start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Robert Parker
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Focus Titanium TDCI Stop Start.

Firstly, thank you for previous advice and interesting reading that I feel confident with.

We have just bought a new Ford Focus Titanium TDCI 1600., not yet 2 weeks old.

First impressions, a lovely car but a bit complicated for us older ones, pensioners.

The stop start only works sometimes, hardly at all, it did when we first had it.
It seems to have gone haywire since we played with the heating controls, or am I imagining it?
The button is in the default position.

Please help, it is stressing us out.

I know we can go back to the Ford Dealership but they ain't exactly friendly when you ain't buying.

If you do know the answer, please explain so us idiots can understand you, not technical terms.

Thank you kindly.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Stop/start only works when the engine is fully up to temperature and there is enough juice in the battery to re-start it. If it has been stop/starting quite a bit then it will take it's toll on the battery so will allow it to run without stopping for a while to allow it to recharge!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Robert Parker
Virgin

Originally Posted by RichieST
Stop/start only works when the engine is fully up to temperature and there is enough juice in the battery to re-start it. If it has been stop/starting quite a bit then it will take it's toll on the battery so will allow it to run without stopping for a while to allow it to recharge!
It has NOT worked for several days now, Richie.
Most days we go down the Warwick Bypass to Stratford and it still does not work when we get there.
It starts first little touch in the mornings, plenty of battery.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Not too sure then to be honest. Sounds like you best be braving a trip back to the dealers to get it looked at!
Old 14-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Robert Parker
Virgin

Been back to the Ford dealers today.

A nice type chap came out to have a looksee.
His words were, "I am not sure" and starts playing with the heater controls.
He is still not sure but says he THINKS that the 'stop start' will NOT work with the heater on.
I sussed this yesterday by accident, to have the stop start working, no heater.

Come on guys, suss this for me please, that surely cannot be right.
Old 20-01-2012, 11:52 AM
FocuSmith
Virgin

I have just started having the same problem with my 1600 TDCI. Owned my car for 4 months now, and am used to the stop start system only working when there is no heat/aircon/lighting demands, etc. but it has just stopped working. Even after a long drive (200 miles) when everything is up to temperature, and battery well charged the engine no longer cuts out when car is at a standstill. Also if I press the on/off over-ride button, the dashboard "@" symbol doesn't illuminate anymore. I am sure the problem started to happen when I forgot to turn off ignition (after coming to a halt and the engine did cut out), before opening the driver door getting out and then turning off the ignition. So if anyone knows a trick or two to reset this function that is baffling my local dealers, I would be grateful.