Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

How to adjust boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Paynee
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust boost

The car in question is my Renault 5 raider, the boost is currently set at 14psi using a bleed valve, i am planning on taking the car on track next month and was going to up the boost a little and get the fuelling checked /set up before hand, i was going to remove the bleed valve and adjust the boost at the actuator, just want to know if there is a correct procedure to follow or weather to adjust a little and try until at the desired level. Also is there anything i should be aware of or looking out for when doing, or should i not bother and just adjust using bleed valve that is already fitted?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Much more than a bar of boost on the little five is not a good idea, if its std head, carb and turbo then it wont be much quicker, especially on track where the charge temps will rise. But if you are intent on making more boost just use the bleed valve, thats what it is for. If the boost level you desire cant be achieved with the valve, then you will have to tighten (wind in) the actuator rod a few turns, then re adjust with bleed valve
Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Paynee
Regular Contributor

thanks for the reply. just spoke to my pal who i got it off, it has an uprated turbo, t25 i think, group a carb, dual pass alloy IC, copper core rad, full exhaust, manifold back, full silicone boost and water pipes, need to dig through all the reciepts when i get home really and see what im working with!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by Paynee
thanks for the reply. just spoke to my pal who i got it off, it has an uprated turbo, t25 i think, group a carb, dual pass alloy IC, copper core rad, full exhaust, manifold back, full silicone boost and water pipes, need to dig through all the reciepts when i get home really and see what im working with!
if its had all that work then im sure someone has already set the boost to the optimum level, dont fuck with it, IMO