Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.9 mercury turbo engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:30 PM
testosterone
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.9 mercury turbo engine

Hi, Im running a 1.9 american big block with a standard 1.6 turbo head with a T3 turbo and a 285T Piper Cam, okay the problem im having is that
1. It wont start.......i have fuel to the cyclinders and a spark
2. What Starter motor would you advise to use cause at present i have a XR3i starter running on it and to be honest its Crap!
3. I have used basic TDC marks, which should fire over until i have done a proper set up using my vernier and setting me crank out 119 degrees.

Please this has giving me a headache for the past week and i am urgently needing another view on this!

Many Thanks

Last edited by testosterone; 07-03-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have fuel and a spark, then either the spark or fuel is at the wrong time if it won't start, have you checked the compression, is the cam dialled in correctly, I would check the basics first.
I would be surprised if a xr3i starter was not man enough for the 1.9, in light of the lower turbo's CR, maybe the ignition timing is to far advanced and this is slowing the starter speed ?
tabetha
Old 13-03-2011, 10:25 AM
testosterone
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks tabetha, Due to all the work that has been done i realised that we werent getting a good turn over so i pulled the gearbox off and replaced the flywheel with a 1.8 gti one. Once fitted i i had a good spin and that gave a descent spark. All is good now . Again many thanks

testosterone