Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mondeo 130 TDCi rough and smokey!

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Mondeo Les

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo 130 TDCi rough and smokey!

Oh, woe is me! My car is not well! It has done 150k miles and is a '53 plate.

There are actually two issues and while I don't think they are related I'll describe them both just in case.

Firstly, the thing won't start. Turn the key and nothing. The starter does not engage. Prodding the starter terminals with a pole from above seems to sort that so I assume a corroded connection. Trouble is I have to do it almost every time. When it does turn over it is sluggish, but then again I guess because the connection is not so good.

The second issue is that when it's started it seems to run ok and drives ok around town. That is aside from the poor fuel consumption and fact it lays a fairly impressive smoke screen (Black) if I suddenly boot it. At higher speeds i.e. around 70mph, the car feels like it is being driven into a buffeting headwind. It is hesitant and not running smooth. Up until a week ago it was fine. Even now, despite the issues with hesitating, it still pulls well if I need it to, i.e. when joining the motorway, - providing I ignore the sudden smoke trail, which of course I really can't.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 24-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

injectors probably need recoding. and of they do, buy a gallon of petrol and some matches, and phone your insurance company
Old 24-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

We had a similar problem turned out to be a split boost hose
Old 24-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Mondeo Les

Originally Posted by Twins
Mmmm....might not buy that gal of petrol just yet. I just looked and there is a split about an inch or so long in the EGR boost pipe. The split is on the inside of the bend looking from above as the pipe goes downwards. It looks like it probably blows when the revs are up as other pipes 'in the line of fire' have an oily film on them and the split is surrounded by a similar wetness.

I can't see what happens when it's revved as being on my own I can't see from the drivers door with my foot on the pedal. I'm sure there is a way of operating the throttle under the bonnet but it eludes me!

What do you think guys?? Would a small split like that cause the bad running and black smoke?
Old 25-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Mondeo Les

Originally Posted by Twins
Main dealer part as I suspected. Ł53 +VAT

I guess not so bad if it does the job though. The question still remains; is it likely that my split pipe is the problem?
Old 25-11-2010, 09:25 AM
CarParts Express
PassionFord Regular

yep i sell loads of them...will be split just where the bend is yes? Makes the car very somkey and no boost as the pressure is just comng out the hose
Old 25-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Mondeo Les

Originally Posted by CarParts Express
yep i sell loads of them...will be split just where the bend is yes? Makes the car very somkey and no boost as the pressure is just comng out the hose
Not only smokey but runs badly when being pushed at higher speeds. Does this sound right?

As you sell them, what's your price?
Old 25-11-2010, 09:34 AM
CarParts Express
PassionFord Regular

Ł55 delivered...this is the one runs from egr on left of engine when stood at front , down to intercooler. Yes will affect full driving range, this is a common issue on these cars, the hoses always split after a few years
Old 25-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Mondeo Les

Originally Posted by CarParts Express
Ł55 delivered...this is the one runs from egr on left of engine when stood at front , down to intercooler. Yes will affect full driving range, this is a common issue on these cars, the hoses always split after a few years
Thanks for the prompt reply and comments about performance.

As for the part cost, I guess on this occasion I might as well get the part from the dealer up the road as I really would like it today if possible and they have in stock. Thanks though.
Old 25-11-2010, 09:41 AM
CarParts Express
PassionFord Regular

No problem at all les...They are a bad discount code otherwise I could have knocked more off...feel free to browse our website for anything in the future
Thanks
Graham
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Mondeo Les

I thought I'd pop back by and provide an update.

The boost pipe was indeed split. A little split that was not that visible - that is until the engine was revved and then the turbo blew the pipe up and the split turned into a snarling big mouth, belching a big breath of air. Thinking about why this would be so bad (!) it's obviously because the engine system measures the amount of air coming through the air filter and fuels accordingly. However, with most of the air being lost and not making it's way to the engine, the fuel is far too much. That would explain the bad fuel economy and of course the black smoke. At motorway speeds, the poor power and hesitation is again down to the wrong fuel mix.

Anyway, changed the pipe and instantly much better. It still smoked badly for a day or so but a blast up the motorway helped clear the accumulation of crap in the exhaust so it''s now running clear again (or a clear as a diesel ever does). Fuel economy has taken longer to recover. I don't know why, but in any case it's creeping up again from about 30mpg to currently about 43.

Hope this helps for anyone searching for similar running problems. Visiting this forum certainly helped me and I shall be back regularly.