Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

mondeo tdci recurring fault

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2010, 07:56 PM
expensivecheapcars
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mondeo tdci recurring fault

i have a 2001 '02 plate mondeo tdci 130. it ran fine when i bought it with 68k on clock. after 600 miles it went into limp. i got codes read and the place recommended & carried out recon of injectors (£564) but no change. they got ford to recode injectors and it ran same as when i bought it. since then it goes into limp every 300-600 miles. the fault is always cylinder 3 above knock threshold. i've been recoding them myself with a snap-on modis and it runs perfect between limps. i'm guessing either an ecu problem, loom fault or a fault with the chip in the number 3 injector. i believe that part of injector is not possible to recon/repair. any ideas?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
actionfighter
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Hey just spotted your post that sounds very similar to my current Mondeo
Did you have any luck with diagnosing the problem,im just about to buy a reconditioned set mine has the problem on cylinder 2!!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

apparently dan from fast ford found the answer to be that you need a "set" of matched injectors that actually "do" work as some that are supposed to work don't
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
actionfighter

ah ha so best bet is probably to buy the 4 reconditioned jobbies and hope for the best
Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

These injectors can not be reconditioned , if they are exchange they go back to the factory , the 16 digit code tells the ecu the exact specification of the injector , its opening time , its delay , its current draw so it can inject at the precise time required , if these injectors go out of tolerance then the ecu can adjust , but only to a pre determined limit , after that point the ecu locks the settings at that point and then you get the Knock Threshold Met fault code , the only correct way is to replace , as you have said you can recode the ecu , but as soon as the ecu has adjusted itself to the pre determined limit it happens again .

BTW I was a workshop technical foreman in a ford main dealership so I have come across this on many occasions , and the only cure is a new injector and recode
Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 PM
actionfighter

Shit does that mean second hand reconditioned ones are totally useless and the only way to go is new?,there are so many reconditioned ones for sale its such a shame they wouldn't do the job
I know ford offer a re manufactured one but they are still 280 plus the vat
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

The official line is that the only people who can recondition these injectors are the original manufacturer as nobody has produced the kit to re code the injectors , all these injectors are the ones they put on a rig put in the original code into a drone ECU and run them , if they inject correctly as far as they can see they clean them and sell them on as "reconditioned" , but the truth is they are just "checked" and "painted" to make them look good .

If I was you I would much rather spend the 280 on 1 injector and know it was right than a set that could be worse than the set you have in already , we always only replaced the faulty one , never a set , especially under warranty as ford would only pay for "proven" failures , that was a print out or later on a "RVC - Repair Validation Code"

Hope that helps

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
actionfighter

Thanks for the help man appreciate it,man these injectors are a pain in the arse
Old 31-07-2012, 08:09 AM
eXcalibre
Virgin

Angry hmm maybe my fault is different then?

I know this is an old thread but i have had this issue for a long time now (over a year). on My Focus TDCI 1.8 02 plate

always the same error when going into limp mode, P2339 cylinder 4 above knock threshold.

the problem i see is that i swapped injectors from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 and the problem is still on cylinder 4 (which in my book rules out the injector) should the fault not follow the injector to number 2 not stay at number 4??

any new advice appreciated.

eX

Last edited by eXcalibre; 31-07-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: update