Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

new cosworth clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2010, 06:15 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cosworth clutch slipping

im looking 4 sum input.after the clutch started slipping in my stage 3 sapphire,i didnt know which one to go 4.so i phoned matt lewis who i use alot and i asked him.he basicly told me that you dont need all these fancy deer clutches,just a LUK clutch kit and a wee skimm off the flywheel to get rid of the hi points.i was a bit warey of going 4 it but he asured me that they were rated up to 25psi a boost and sells loades of them.so thats what i did,got flywheel skimmd and put clutch in,and the cars slipping on boost not bad but is slipping top end of boost and in hi gears.iv double checked the clutch fork is fully releasing the presure plate and it is.i also checked that the new clutch plate was thicker than the old one,and it was. the only thing im thinking now is that the presure plate is mibi faulty? anyone any other adeas???
Old 26-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Escos2483
Regular Contributor

i had the same with a ford clutch on standard power .... it slipped on boost ... but after bedding in it appeared ok... but i have recently changed it for a AP organic as i was never happy with the ford item ....hope this helps
PS. I DONT THINK A STANDARD CLUTCH WOULD LAST LONG WITH 25PSI OF BOOST

Last edited by Escos2483; 26-08-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 26-08-2010, 09:06 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

how long did it take to bed in mate? i was out 2nite givn it abit to try bed it in and the fukin acelerator cable broke leavn me stranded!! lol
Old 26-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Escos2483
Regular Contributor

its like when you fit a new set of brake pads ... they are crap until they bed in .... just try to drive it normally for a few hours ,, without making it slip ,, and it should bed in ,,as long you have not cooked it .... if it continues to slip ,, its either not up to the job or its knackered ....
Old 26-08-2010, 09:29 PM
cossiedrift
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

When i had my stage 3 saff and i was being pikey i used to fit luk clutches they lasted about 3 months then slip there nuts off. I would just put a paddle in and be done with it mate fit and forget. Other standard clutches would slip straight away but luk normally lasted the longest.
Old 26-08-2010, 09:30 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

cool.al mibi leave it another few days n c how it is.no bn givn it too much stick.need to get a dam cable 1st!!
Old 26-08-2010, 09:33 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

im prity sure it was an luk clutch that came out it and and iv had the car 3 year now. awww god knows! lol

Trending Topics

Old 27-08-2010, 10:01 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlike some paddle clutches the ALCON 6 paddle is VERY progressive, and very good at this power some clutches are more like on off switches.
I have known std ford clutches take loads of abuse at 350bhp without problem, but there are a few different makers to ford, so a bit hit and miss.
tabetha
Old 28-08-2010, 10:33 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

will a send it bk n get another one then??
Old 28-08-2010, 11:17 PM
turboRS
C16OSY

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when my clutch went on my stage 3 2wd sapph i didnt know wat to replace it with! paddle or standard! but being as paddles are horrible in traffic and that i needed to use my car everyday plus paddles are expensive! i fitted a standard LUK item instead, didnt bother with skimming the flywheel even though there were many high spots (had to get the car off the ramp asap)!!!
drove the car for a further 2 years, constantly on the boost and loved launching it and kicking the back end out! and it still handled the power sweet when i sold the car!!
never slipped one bit running 346 bhp on 24psi boost
Old 30-08-2010, 01:07 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by turboRS
when my clutch went on my stage 3 2wd sapph i didnt know wat to replace it with! paddle or standard! but being as paddles are horrible in traffic and that i needed to use my car everyday plus paddles are expensive! i fitted a standard LUK item instead, didnt bother with skimming the flywheel even though there were many high spots (had to get the car off the ramp asap)!!!
drove the car for a further 2 years, constantly on the boost and loved launching it and kicking the back end out! and it still handled the power sweet when i sold the car!!
never slipped one bit running 346 bhp on 24psi boost
hey mate,did u need to bed in clutch atall?? thats what iv been told to do for a few days.getn held up right enough due to a broken accelerator cable!! i thot it was getn better,but it was still slipping...
Old 30-08-2010, 03:43 PM
turboRS
C16OSY

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richbogle
hey mate,did u need to bed in clutch atall?? thats what iv been told to do for a few days.getn held up right enough due to a broken accelerator cable!! i thot it was getn better,but it was still slipping...
the first thing i did after pulling out of the workshop was do a couple of donuts round the corner
im sure that was more than bedding in!
maybe if i had my flywheel skimmed, it might have slipped!
to be honest i was a bit worried bout the state of my flywheel, one of the worst id seen!
but being as its a piss easy job to change, i didnt mind chancing it!