Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

engine management question???

Search this Thread

Old 28-07-2010, 01:12 AM
greatbignath
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine management question???

hi people.

i been puzzling over something and its bugging me coz i dont understand it properly.

why cant u just bolt a turbo to an engine that uses an air flow meter and a lambda sensor?? ie early ka. (yes i kno i cud just put a zetec or cvh in, but where is the fun in that??)

surely the more air goes in past the air flow meter the more fuel put in through the injectors??? and with the lambda sensor it would regulate the mixture???

i bbeen thinking of putting some higher flow injectors, maybe 1800 zetec, and just bolting the turbo on (obviously making a manifold etc), im not looking to run high boost, just want a lil more power from lil expeniture.

thanks in advance for anybody who manages to enlighten me on this issue

thanks nathan.
Old 28-07-2010, 01:21 AM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do a search about whats involved in a turbo conversion.

it aint simple, it aint cheap and if you do it the cheap way it will end up being more expensive when you have to fork out for a new engine!
Old 28-07-2010, 01:33 AM
greatbignath
Virgin

hi, i have been doing alot of research, and i am aware of the fact i should lower comp and uprate internals. in fact its only got a three bearing crank so im onto a looser to begine with.

the fact the engine is burning a bit of oil ( needs topping up once a week) and the fact i hav another engine to go in once i change the cam and followers ( original engine which i removed due to the push rods jumping off the tappets) means i just wanna hav a lil experiment to see if i can actually do the turbo conversion. make manifold etc.

its kinda a dry run for a pinto turbo conversion to come, which i will be doing properly

i just want to kno why you cant run a turbo using low boost whilst keeping the standard management and just using larger injectors. the other option would be to add extra injectors that came active at a pre set boost. proper bodge

thanks nathan.
Old 28-07-2010, 02:31 AM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok cool, sounds like you have some idea. out of interest what car and engine is this going to be on?

the reason you cant use the standard engine management is because its not been mapped to run boost. for any given engine map there is scope for a few mods like zorst and induction kit but any more and the ecu cant compensate for the increase in air and it'll run lean and melt a piston very fast! i suppose you could get around this by running bigger injectors and uprated fuel pump but it still would be way off for on boost and would certainly be wayy off for off boost so it wouldnt run right at any time.

not to mention yiu will prob exceed the maf's measuring limit as it was designed for a n/a engine.
Old 28-07-2010, 10:37 AM
greatbignath
Virgin

koolio, made things a bit clearer chears phil_focus .

it makes sence that there are limits to things, didnt think of that.

its going on my ka coz i wanna have some fun wit the engine before it blows up .

it looks as if im gonna have to bodge it wit some extra injectors. seen a couple of people on the net that use cold start injectors to add an extra amount of fuel for on boost.

are cold start injectors any different to normal injectors??

cheers again, nathan.