Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Help please god! Rs mk1

Search this Thread

Old 27-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Frsbasj
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please god! Rs mk1

I think something has gone really wrong, I have little knowledge of engines! I bought an rs four days and am over the moon but drove to the shops earlier and turbo has lost power boost gauge only showing 0.5 instead of the usual 1.5 on full throttle in every gear?? Car was sold to me via a garage with engine management light on as garage said this was due to the modifications on the car! It has a piper down pipe with sports cat, bailey dump valve and a k&n gen2 filter. Really confused and to be honest totally pissed off! Apologies on starting off with my first post like this. Any ideas welcome please??

CheeRS

dave
Old 27-04-2010, 08:44 PM
saph_Al
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Firstly welcome to the site, Second i assure were talking about a focus Rs , Did you hear any unusual noises before it stopped boosting ? is the engine management light still on ? If so it could be that the ECU is in limp mode to stop any more damage from happening . If so it may not be as bad as you think so don't go crying yet , ideally you need to find out if it's been mapped by anyone and who has written it . Im not to familier with the focus engine or EMS on them so couldnt say if they with run 1.5 bar on a standard map without it boost cutting . Do you have any more info on the spec ?
Cheers Ally
Old 27-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Frsbasj
Virgin

Cheers for the reply mate! The car has never been re mapped. I did think the motor could of gone in limp mode but it still has response, I thought limp mode made it run around like a tortoise?! Car made no noises out of the ordinary!!

Cheers

dave
Old 27-04-2010, 09:37 PM
saph_Al

Limp mode can is just a Base map that saves the engine so will allow a small amount of boost i should think . you really need to get it plugged in to a diognostic reader other wise ur just clutching at straws . the only things you can do are check that everythings still plugged in although if it's possible its something as simple as a lambda sensor
Cheers Ally
P.s it may have a built in self diognistic but im not to sure
Old 27-04-2010, 09:41 PM
saph_Al

Apparently if you hold the trip reset button as you turn the car on and start the engine it does a self diognostic , trouble codes can be obtained from the net i would think
Cheers
Old 28-04-2010, 12:29 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Engine management light should not be on even if the car is modified as it's telling you something is wrong, as said normally when the light comes on the car will go into LOS Ford speak for limp home mode, this is done usually when a sensor goes above or below a pre determined value, a static value is then applied for this faulty sensor hence the engine won't run as well as it normally does and will also cut the boost pressure. I don't know much about FRS common faults but as said if you hold down millage trip and turn ignition to on position at same time whilst the trip is still depressed a gauge sweep will be performed and this then launches self diagnostic mode keep pressing the trip until "DTC" is displayed on LCD and then look at his code here they start in "P" then a 5 digit number IIRC.

Martin
Old 28-04-2010, 12:38 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can get it to Jamsport i'll get a code read on it for you.
Old 28-04-2010, 12:48 PM
markc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that dtc error code is usually just for the dash clock only and will not give you engine error codes. this can only be done via the diagnostics port so you will need to have it read by your local garage or if anyone you know has a reader you can plug in.
OR if you are in essex i can use my lil machine i have.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Frsbasj
Virgin

Cheers for the responses guys got a code read on it earlier and got them cleared off however they are back on now!! So looks like a trip to jamsport to see jamie who has been recommended to me!! Code read was lean/weak fuel mixture p1131?!

Dave
Old 28-04-2010, 09:25 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Perhaps they have remapped but not changed the hardware accordinly.

Martin
Old 28-04-2010, 09:36 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That code P1131 is showing a fault with the 1st lambda sensor (probably disconnected or just died).
Old 28-04-2010, 09:47 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Now he ^^ mentioned it I know the Lambas are weak points on Focus.

Martin
Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Frsbasj
Virgin

Just wanted to say a big thank u to all the lads at jamsport will definately be back! rs was fixed in a day! Over the moon,1st lambda sensor was at fault (spot on iansoutham) along with airleak behind inlet!
Cheers for all the help lads.
Appreciate it.

Dave