Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ford wiring diagrams decoding!

Search this Thread

Old 17-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
Default ford wiring diagrams decoding!

Im trying to do a couple of repairs to my loom as a short term measure until i can buy a new one.

Ive got a copy of Escos wiring diagrams so i can sort out refitting the lecktron wiring thats been cut off, so i know where the wires got to go, but im trying to find out the correct grade of wire.

Now on newer car wiring diagrams you get this:

It tells you in the diagram the decode for the wiring type so you know the circuit type, as well as the wire size eg 0.5mm2 in this example.

now the escos diagrams show this:

now the first couple numbers look like circuit designators and the last groups of letters are wire colours, but whats the numbers in the middle???

Im hoping its wire size related. Also the shielding in the right is that just simply earthed shielding and i presume its integrated shielded wire you can buy??

any ideas?? obviously theres no point me repairing with the wrong rating wire and if i fuck up shielding then the ECU wont be too impressed either!!!
Old 18-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

does no one know this?? someone must know
Old 19-05-2009, 05:56 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what wiring are you trying to repair as the ETIS web site still shows the normal wiring you are showing at the top , I have printed the engine loom area off and have it here
Old 19-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

quite a few areas, bodged fan wiring, bodged fuel pump wiring, boost control valve wiring, and a few other areas where the insulation is degraded.
Old 20-05-2009, 01:24 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Measure the individual wire strand diameter (probably 0.3mm) and count the number of strands, then use google to determine the current capacity of the wire.

Alternatively, fit new wire with a higher current capacity than the fuse fitted to that circuit.