Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

CAT issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Liberachi
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAT issues

Hi guys n girls.

I am having some problems with my 52 plate focus st170. It has had 2 janspeed sport cats over the last 2 years (the first one broke up and the 2nd failed the MOT emissions test this year).

The mechanic recommended that I change it back to a standard ceramic cat and so I decided to do this as I was sick of the hassle. I bought a cat from online automotive and when it was finally fitted to the car they noticed it sat very low and was in major danger of being hit by road bumps etc... I have complained to the company asking for a refund as the car is currently not drivable – it did pass the emission test though and I have a valid certificate.

Now here is my question;

1. Do I get the refund and buy the stock ford cat?

2. Keep the ill-fitting cat (that works) but get it taken off and fit my old sports cat?

I really need some experienced advice on this because it’s doing my head in

One other thing what would be the best induction kit modification for the st170? I currently have a k&n air filter but am looking to make some improvements on the car

If anyone can offer advice then I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Liberachi
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spent a bit of time browsing the various focus forums and it would seem that the CAT/SPORT CAT/DE-CAT issue is pretty common.

There seem to be some other alternatives to the standard ford CAT which is around the £370 mark. Has anyone bought a CAT from 'cats2go'? If so did it fit to the car ok?

I still haven't heard back from online automotive about the dodgy fitting CAT that I bought from them. I don't think I'll bother de-catting the car as it seems too much hassle come MOT time and I don't think I'll re-fit the janspeed sports cat as the EML always comes on with it.

Back to the drawing board.