Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

STILL SMOKING....Cossie

Search this Thread

Old 25-02-2009, 10:04 AM
rich.edrsoc
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL SMOKING....Cossie

Hi everyone,

I've got a F reg Saph Cosworth, done 94,000ish miles and is all standard apart from a Magnex exhaust and a Ramiar cone filter.

I've had it about 10 months now, before i bought it had been used VERY little for two years.

Once i got it home and started using it, it started to smoke, so had the turbo rebuilt as it was knackered. Got it back all nice and shiney, but the car still smoked....

Decided to have the head rebuilt (we had suspisions of this being worn too, so wasn't too bothered) with new guids, stem seals, crack test etc etc... Was fitted back on with a Grp A head gasket.

When the head was off my engineer who did the work said that everything looked fine and dandy, he also checked the (standard) breather and said it was also fine and clear. Engine idles lovely, no rattles, just a nice sounding engine.

BUT...... IT STILL SMOKES!!!!

not all the time, only when givin it a bit of a spanking, like hard acceleration, three-quarters to full throttle if that makes sense.

it hasn't been set up properly yet, i think it's running a bit rich, could the excess fuel cause the smoke at full chat??

Any other possible causes?

It does use a fair bit of oil. My driving is about 90% in and around town, stop start... could this cause higher oil consumption???

Any help/ideas would be great thanks
Old 25-02-2009, 11:30 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bores could be worn, but more likely the rings at least, does it have piston slap when cold ?, this is a general sign if it is heavy especially if there when warm.
Even if the compression and performance are good, the oil control rings could still be worn, though running rich certainly can cause it to use more oil.
tabetha
Old 25-02-2009, 11:39 AM
rich.edrsoc

no piston slap, quite as a mouse when idling.... the guy who did the work said it was one the quietest he'd heard for a while!

Hoping it's just fuelling as i am still paying for the head work!!

A setup next week should highlight something.....

Would rings being replaced on their own be cheaper than a full rebuild? or is a case of the work involved?

Cheers matey
Old 25-02-2009, 11:40 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

A 100k Cossie YB engine needs a rebuild. I never heard of a high mileage Cossie engine, they just can't do it.

Mine needed a rebuild at 107,000. Bores/rings worn.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:00 PM
kosienutter
Last Time, Get Off PF FFS

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

121,000 miles mine has done and still no rebuild. stg 1 t34 hybd
Old 25-02-2009, 09:16 PM
B16CVH
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I would suggest the rings are worn or have lost their tension. If it has had a hard life then this is a distinct possibility. If the rest of the bottom end is fine, no knocks etc then just a re-bore, new pistons and the necessary gaskets etc...

Out of interest, what oil are you using???
Old 26-02-2009, 07:46 AM
rich.edrsoc

Think it's been very well looked after. The guy i bought it off covered very few miles over the 5 years he owned it, he was a proper RS nut as well, had a minty Series 1 and a 14,000 mile from new Mexico (rep i think, but near concours) so can't imagine him neglecting it. His mate owned it before him and was pretty much the same....

Im using Valvoline 20/50 Racing oil.

If it only needs a freshen up, what sort of cost is it, inc labour? That is the main thing worrying me at the moment!!!
Old 26-02-2009, 08:20 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rich.edrsoc
Think it's been very well looked after. The guy i bought it off covered very few miles over the 5 years he owned it, he was a proper RS nut as well, had a minty Series 1 and a 14,000 mile from new Mexico (rep i think, but near concours) so can't imagine him neglecting it. His mate owned it before him and was pretty much the same....

Im using Valvoline 20/50 Racing oil.

If it only needs a freshen up, what sort of cost is it, inc labour? That is the main thing worrying me at the moment!!!

The rings as far as i can remember are only about Ł100 and then you would need all the gaskets. Tho if your doing that you would be better to change the bearings too for all the cost of them unless they arent worn at all but my car with 58000 on it had a fair bit of wear on the bearings closest to the flywheel.

I orginally took my engine apart because it was leaking oil from loads of places and was just going to change all the seals and ended up doing a full re build on it with all new bearings, rings and gaskets. apart from the small end bearings which were fine but as the head is already done on yours not that long ago your half way there to a re-build anyway.

Im not sure how much labour would be as i did everything on my own and with help of a couple mates apart from the machining. (Polishing crank and honing the block. Skimming the head)

Last edited by daviddunlop83; 26-02-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:21 AM
B16CVH
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Do not just put in new rings, the bores will NOT be perfectly round and low compression will reult.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:25 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I would wait till the setup and see what it's like after that smoke wise.
My engine has done 160,000+ and the bottom end is worn, I was at a set of traffic lights the other day and the farmer in his tractor said jesus your engines noisy!!, well not quite but you get the picture.
As yours is nice and quiet may just need rings if not too much bore wear, but that mileage I would bore it anyway to next size.
Just weigh up the cost of the oil and how many miles you do etc, and you could probably get a few more years out of it, though if daily driver would pay to get done.
tabetha
Old 26-02-2009, 11:47 AM
rich.edrsoc

Originally Posted by tabetha
I would wait till the setup and see what it's like after that smoke wise.
My engine has done 160,000+ and the bottom end is worn, I was at a set of traffic lights the other day and the farmer in his tractor said jesus your engines noisy!!, well not quite but you get the picture.
As yours is nice and quiet may just need rings if not too much bore wear, but that mileage I would bore it anyway to next size.
Just weigh up the cost of the oil and how many miles you do etc, and you could probably get a few more years out of it, though if daily driver would pay to get done.
tabetha
My dads old saph had done about 130000 miles when he sold it about ten years ago, that didn't smoke and ran nice and smooth....
Mine is a daily driver, and i drive it a lot just for fun in the evenings and at the weekend, so it does cost a bit in oil.... just enjoy using it (the car, not oil!)

if i keep on top of my oil level and keep everything else serviced i should be able to make it last a while, till i can afford a rebuild at least, shouldn't i???
I did say to myself when i got the car that i wouldn't cut any corners on bits/work for it, so if a rebuild is necessary, i'm going get it done to the best standard i can...

if i don't spank it everywhere it doesn't smoke, it uses about a litre every 600/700 miles... thats if the dipstick flat bit is equal to 1 litre, which i think it is??

booked in for a RR setup next thursday, so i'm just gonna wait and see, might be worrying over nothing!!!
Old 26-02-2009, 12:09 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its normal and says in the manual somewhere that they will use 1/2 a litre every 500 miles. Correct me if im wrong?
Old 26-02-2009, 12:54 PM
rich.edrsoc

i'm not sure what the handbook says as i didn't get one with the car.

I've heard 3 different figures for 'as new' oil consumption;

1 litre every 1000miles
1 litre every 690 miles
and 1 litre every 500 miles

does anyone have a diffinitive answer?!
Old 26-02-2009, 04:02 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I can use a litre in 200 miles if caning it!!, but mine was not looked after.
tabetha
Old 26-02-2009, 04:05 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rich.edrsoc
i'm not sure what the handbook says as i didn't get one with the car.

I've heard 3 different figures for 'as new' oil consumption;

1 litre every 1000miles
1 litre every 690 miles
and 1 litre every 500 miles

does anyone have a diffinitive answer?!
there is no diffinitive answer as each engine is different; but all cossies use oil

i would wait until the RR'd set up; i just hope your going to someone who knows what they are doing? where are you taking it?

if you CO% is out by a long way, this could explain the high oil consumption and smoke
Old 26-02-2009, 04:06 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboShed
A 100k Cossie YB engine needs a rebuild. I never heard of a high mileage Cossie engine, they just can't do it.

Mine needed a rebuild at 107,000. Bores/rings worn.
thats a sweeping statement! - paul (Costina) off here has a 109k bottom end YB running 350hp
Old 26-02-2009, 11:08 PM
rich.edrsoc

Going to a place called Powercrazy Motorsport, in deepest, darkest devon.

The place has been recommended to me by a few people, the guy knows his way around cossies apparently....

hope it is just running rich..... fingers crossed!!!
Old 27-02-2009, 03:18 PM
groomers
PassionFord Regular

i wouldnt recommend power crazy rich head some bad things about there work, why dont you take it to tipton?
Old 27-02-2009, 03:21 PM
rich.edrsoc

Originally Posted by groomers
i wouldnt recommend power crazy rich head some bad things about there work, why dont you take it to tipton?
Alright Rob, how's it going mate?

I heard bad things in the past, but recently i've heard good things, like in the last week or so (ford and non ford owners)....

tipton have only just got their RR back together, i think they're pretty much snowed under with work at the mo. I just need simple checks to be done, no actual work being done, everything is standard so i think i'll be alright!!!