Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

A bell jingling like sound from the engine on acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Shep_Cobain
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bell jingling like sound from the engine on acceleration...

Right, in my ERST when im in a high gear like 5th and doing 30mph its fine just cruising.

But if i go to accelerate fast or slow it starts to make a slight jingling sound until im at about 45mph.....

Is this because im in too high of a gear at that speed or is something wrong? It doesnt drive any different...

Its fine if im in 2nd or 3rd... just 4th and 5th...

But if im in 4th the jingling stops at at about 38mph...

Its not mega loud but i can hear it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Shep_Cobain; 11-02-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM
B16CVH

Sounds like detonation to me,
DO NOT CANE IT AND GET IT SEEN TO ASAP!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it is pinking, has it been set up, ie is the ignition timing ok, a tad to far advanced will cause it as will a very lean mixture.
tabetha
Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Shep_Cobain

Like i said its fine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd at relative speeds. But when the car is at about 25 - 30mph and you accelerate in 5th gear until it reaches a speed of say 45 it jingles.

But its fine when its at a constant speed of 30 and your not accelerating just cruising.

It has been setup by MSD.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:01 PM
davidreader5
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabetha
Sounds like it is pinking, has it been set up, ie is the ignition timing ok, a tad to far advanced will cause it as will a very lean mixture.
tabetha
As Tab's quote, but most cars if you let them labour in a high gear underload low speed you can induce pinking, just as if the ignition timing is to advanced or lean afr,
but to be safe get the timing and afr checked underload, as things could of changed since MSD set it up, such as vacuum leak, or fuel pressure etc.

Dave R.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

All it takes is for the dizzy to move a nats todger amount, sure all fuelling will be spot on as stu did it, but other things may have been moved inadvertantly.
tabetha
Old 11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Shep_Cobain

Originally Posted by tabetha
All it takes is for the dizzy to move a nats todger amount, sure all fuelling will be spot on as stu did it, but other things may have been moved inadvertantly.
tabetha
Its getting a service tomorrow. New belts and fluids/oils etc.

So ill see tomorrow. But in modern cars if your in to high of a gear at low speeds it jugs doesnt it.

The noise that people say about their RS's sounding like transit vans when they rev to 4000rpm.... and people say its pinking???

well if i rev mine all the way it sounds like a 1ltr being ragged but not like a diesel?

Is that just normal.... its hard to hear over my 4" mongoose.... but can hear it...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Shep_Cobain

Just had a mates verdict on it.

He said its defo pinking.

I had it setup by MSD when i first got it. Didnt really tan it and kept it undercover for months. I had it booked in like 2 weeks after the set up for a health check because it was overboosting which wasnt good. Had a problem with the car starting (fuel pump) so put it under cover and left it.

Got it out just before xmas again and now its pinking and still overboosting but never did this before it went to MSD...

Gonna have to have it booked into MSD now and checked at...

Last edited by Shep_Cobain; 11-02-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why does it need remapping just cos its pinking?!! doesnt mean its the map by a long shot. If the fuel pump was a problem after they did the work how is it definately their fault its now pinking?! if you have changed or done anything to do with the fuel pump the fuel pressure can be affected to how it was when they set it up therefore needs setting up again which isnt their fault!!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Shep_Cobain
Right, in my ERST when im in a high gear like 5th and doing 30mph its fine just cruising.

But if i go to accelerate fast or slow it starts to make a slight jingling sound until im at about 45mph.....

Is this because im in too high of a gear at that speed or is something wrong? It doesnt drive any different...

Its fine if im in 2nd or 3rd... just 4th and 5th...

But if im in 4th the jingling stops at at about 38mph...

Its not mega loud but i can hear it.

Thanks.
Sounds like pinking better get it set up!

Are you a taxi driver
"Right, in my ERST when im in a high gear like 5th and doing 30mph its fine just cruising."
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Shep_Cobain

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Why does it need remapping just cos its pinking?!! doesnt mean its the map by a long shot. If the fuel pump was a problem after they did the work how is it definately their fault its now pinking?! if you have changed or done anything to do with the fuel pump the fuel pressure can be affected to how it was when they set it up therefore needs setting up again which isnt their fault!!
I didn't say it was their fault mate... what im annoyed about is it overboosted before the fuel pump was changed...

I wonder what the problem is? Im going to go down on Friday and see if i can get it booked in for them to look at. I have my original report here anways so ill take that with me

Last edited by Shep_Cobain; 11-02-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joys of turbo cars mate!!! I drove from brighton to MSD a few years ago and got stu to set up my cossie, few things were wrong but he got it running as best he could and she was flying on the way home ran loads better for ages till i planted it and lit the back wheels up and turbo peaked at some silly psi!!! pulled over and found the actuator pipe randomly had split so was running unlimited boost!!! No ones fault just one of those things, was fine when i left
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Shep_Cobain

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Joys of turbo cars mate!!! I drove from brighton to MSD a few years ago and got stu to set up my cossie, few things were wrong but he got it running as best he could and she was flying on the way home ran loads better for ages till i planted it and lit the back wheels up and turbo peaked at some silly psi!!! pulled over and found the actuator pipe randomly had split so was running unlimited boost!!! No ones fault just one of those things, was fine when i left
lol, there annoying arent they. It remind me of Gone in 60 Seconds where Nic Cage talks to eleanor the mustang and she fires back up after some lovin lol.

Well Stu is seeing it Tuesday

Thanks fellas.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The driveability low down is down to mapping, if too far advanced etc this will exacerbate the jerking low down.
Depending on spec, most mapped cars can run to idle speed in top with no lugging, or acceleration to speak of either!!
tabetha