Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2001 Fiesta 1.8 Endura Td - Fuel Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Tabs
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Fiesta 1.8 Endura Td - Fuel Pump Failure

Hi All,

First post and as often is the case with these things, it's a problem with the car type post!

We've got a 2001 (Y) Fiesta 1.8TD Endura. Two weeks ago it decided not to start, poked around the glow plugs, relay and wiring and that all checked out ok. Decided to escalate to our mobile mechanic bod who pretty quickly diagnosed, via the ECU fault recorder, the fuel pump had gone. Seems terminal and from what I can tell these things aren't cheap to replace either - with Ford dealers wanting circa. £900 for a new 'un!

I'm guessing this is a common fault with the Endura engines? Any advice on where to pick a pump up, either new or recon? We're strapped for cash at the moment (as most folks are given the climate) and we can't really sell the car as a lame duck as we ideally need it back on the road

I believe the Bosch P/N for the pump we need is 0470004007, which apparently superseeded 0470004002 generation pumps. That's the extent of information I've managed to glean from t'internet, which otherwise has drawn a blank.

Any help would be appreciated on this as it's well and truly left us between a rock and hard place
Old 29-01-2009, 05:59 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DON'T use ford is my advice firstly, there are many independants that do diesels all day long, as to whether it's common I don't know.
One of the best recommendations comes from who commercial people use, ie truck firms etc in your area, the last diesel pump I had rebuilt cost me £55, but noit that much wrong with this one they did last, but they will be loads cheaper than ford.
Also don't accept the diagnosis point blank as the systems are not all they could be, eg yours could simply be a recoding job if it's a immobiliser equipped one.
tabetha
Old 30-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Tabs
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Tabetha.

Bit difficult for us to get a second opinion without towing the car to a garage but we'll see if there is somewhere else close to us.

A pump has come up on Ebay which may work but it's an aftermarket Lucas jobbie and we're unsure if the P/N is suitable.