Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Using a lot of fuel!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:24 AM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a lot of fuel!

My 1.6 16v (Zetec engine) Estate MK6 is using a bit to much petrol I think. She is using the same as my Golf GTI MK3 16v which has a good few mods and was RR @ 157.7bhp!

Since having her (2 weeks) I have changed..... Oil (refill with Mobil 1 5/30) Oil fiter, Air filter, spark plugs. Used a bottle of STP injection cleaner and a brand new lambda sensor fitted last week.

There are a couple of issues though..... Exhaust is blowing from somewhere, although still has plenty of pressure in it.....maybe baffles in backbox have gone? Also she creaks through front drivers side when braking. Jacked her up and went to spin wheel.......hardly moves, also that alloy wheel gets very hot!!

Any ideas on why she is a bit thirsty would be great

One more thing.....not so good!! I have read a good few reviews on the net now I have bought her and a fair few have put on the negative side that the 1.6 16v Zetec's are thirsty?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

If you're brakes are binding it will hit your fuel economy hard.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

My mates Mondeo mk1 1600 was great on fuel.
Dunno what 'phase' they are and whether there are any real differences but his was a 1.6 16v like yours.

Put it another way, they're better than a 1600 CVH!

Jacked her up and went to spin wheel.......hardly moves, also that alloy wheel gets very hot!!
Theres your problem. Fucked front brake. Try and source a new caliper and flexi-pipe for that side. Probably easier than trying to re-build what you have.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:35 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunketh

Put it another way, they're better than a 1600 CVH!
Yeah, mine wont return better than 24mpg when being driven like a granny off boost all the time......

JAmes.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:55 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by godzilla
My 1.6 16v (Zetec engine) Estate MK6 is using a bit to much petrol I think. She is using the same as my Golf GTI MK3 16v which has a good few mods and was RR @ 157.7bhp!

Since having her (2 weeks) I have changed..... Oil (refill with Mobil 1 5/30) Oil fiter, Air filter, spark plugs. Used a bottle of STP injection cleaner and a brand new lambda sensor fitted last week.

There are a couple of issues though..... Exhaust is blowing from somewhere, although still has plenty of pressure in it.....maybe baffles in backbox have gone? Also she creaks through front drivers side when braking. Jacked her up and went to spin wheel.......hardly moves, also that alloy wheel gets very hot!!

Any ideas on why she is a bit thirsty would be great

One more thing.....not so good!! I have read a good few reviews on the net now I have bought her and a fair few have put on the negative side that the 1.6 16v Zetec's are thirsty?
Thought we found the answer to that one the other day?

As dunketh says, get that sticking caliper sorted and all your problems will go away.