Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

RS turbo metering head problems

Search this Thread

Old 22-10-2004 | 10:34 PM
Yeti1

Default RS turbo metering head problems

Firstly - is the S2 ERST metering head the same as the Mk4 XR3i?

Secondly - the problem - the car ran fine in the garage the last year, but was put back on the road, got tax today and then twice it wouldn't start, but eventually it started up and ran just fine.

Got it back to the garage, determined that there was plenty of fuel getting into the metering head, but none coming out to the injectors. So figured it must be the metering head.

With not much to lose, dismantled it and everything seemed ok, but the passages out to the injectors might have been blocked. Reassembled it and replaced on car, now cylinder number 2 was overfuelling ridiculous amounts.

Tried again, dismantled, reassembled and refittied it again and now both 3 and 4 are overfuelling like crazy.

Any ideas before I try to find a new metering head?
Old 23-10-2004 | 11:19 AM
b13nde
Regular Contributor

you need a new one you need god knows what machines to test check and clean them they are the worst thing ever made as theres very little service you can do on them its all replace as you have found out 3i ones are no good i have two good ones one which is 18 months old for 175 complete or one off my bros 90 spec one £100 let me no they cost £900 from fords
Old 23-10-2004 | 08:42 PM
Yeti1

Goddamn that's hard to read!! Some punctuation would have been good!

So the XR3i one's no good then?

We've 'borrowed' one from an RST with a buggered block - and it's running, but it doesn't idle at all - just stalls. Any suggestions how to fix this till we run it up to Glasgow to get tuned?

I'm actually pretty sure now that there was nothing wrong with his old metering head (until we dismantled it) - the non-start problem was because he was tightening the accelerator cable to make it idle.
Old 26-10-2004 | 12:11 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

use the search button

taking summit apart u know little about was Wise yeti!! it probably didnt start and idle perceftly because its sat for so long, how do you know which cylinder is overfueling and whats not? stop messing about with it n trailor it down to someone who knows the score I.e. AVA

Ignition tmming also plays a part in it starting easily or not, hold the metering flap down a few mm while someone cranks it over and i bet u it will start np. leave it to idle for a while then try starting it once its warmed up a bit
Also check the multi plug on the metering head beside injector fuel lines.
fuel filter ok? fuel presure before and after it? fuel pump priming away happily? defo petrol in it?
Old 26-10-2004 | 12:22 AM
Yeti1

it starts fine now.

stupid git was tightening the throttle cable to get it to idle.

and we took it apart cos we figured it was buggered anyway.

Telling which one is overfuelling is easy - remove the spark plug and the engine runs the same, and the spark plug is soaked in fuel.

fuel supply is fine.

I tired the search button - nothing useful with any of the terms I used to search.

looked for you in the strathycruise chatroom as well, but you weren't there.

I need to know if it MUST be an S2 RST metering head I fit, and I also need clues as to how to get it to idle to drive it up to AVA. My mate's wanting to take it in to Autotec or somewhere in Ayr, but I said to take it to AVA.

I'lll check the ignition timing as soon as I can - I'm kinda busy and I also need to do the front wheel bearing - how the MOT tester missed it I'l never know...
Old 26-10-2004 | 12:39 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

the search button was a joke, a bad one lol....

i'd say it must be an S1 or S2 metering unit, can pick em up on ebay usually.

dont go on the chatroom or ought anymore got banned from strathy as u prob know so dont see much point! u not got me on msn? div_el@hotmail.com ?

check idle speed control valve, back of inlet plenum.

get it to idle by turning th eidle screw till it idles high enough so it wont stall, or left foot brake it all the way lol