Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2004 ST170 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 26-02-2008, 06:44 AM
tgevans2002
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ST170 Problems

Ive had my ST now for 4 months.

The warranty i had ran out on the 19th of January this year, and soon after, problems began.

The engine is quite tappy, and has been since ive owned it, is this an ST170 ' thing ' ? Its more of a tick tick tick tick than a tap really?

The speedo has packed up, everything else works, the mileage just reads - - - - and the engine management light is on.

It is really notchy and noisy going into gear, and when you rag it, sometimes the clutch pedal stays down after changing gear then pings back up with an unsatisfying clunk? Its only done this a couple of times though, but isn't good

There is also a rattling/tapping sound coming from the exhaust i think, engine bay or underneath drivers area?

Also when are these cars to be serviced? Last time the speedo worked, she had just sailed over 38,000 miles ?

I took the airfilter out the other day and it was grubby.. ? Im thinking service time?

When should the cambelt be done?
Thanks
Old 26-02-2008, 05:25 PM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

wow sounds like u got a fair few things wrong fella.tappy noise is prob the imrc (inlet manifold runner control) butterflies are chattering as they are only plastic and wear quite alot.

the speedo and cluster sounds pretty major but maybe due to the imrc as sometimes the plastic guide that opens the imrc snaps off.that can cause light to come on

rattly exhaust is common on the st170.normally either the upper and lower heat shield on the catalytic converter rusty n snapped or the bracket that holds the cat has snapped off too

clutch pedal sticking could be the clutch master cylinder seal sticking

hope these little things helps
Old 26-02-2008, 07:03 PM
zetecapri
2.0 16v Turbo

clutch pedal sticking, could be down to the release bearing or slave cylinder

rattling exhaust, likeley to be a heatsheild on the body, is tapping on the exhaust, OR you hope your cat hasnt collapsed
Old 29-02-2008, 12:52 AM
tgevans2002
Virgin

Today i purchased a new speedo sensor from ford, at a cost of nearly £30

I can't locate where it is on the gearbox? Its not underneath, and i cant see anything from the top? The new part is a long black plastic thing, with a plug on the top ?

I also found the cause of the exhaust rattle, the top heatshield on the CAT has come off, and is wedged between the cat and the gearbox, so i need to force it out somehow tommorow.
Old 29-02-2008, 06:18 AM
zetecapri
2.0 16v Turbo

isnt a wheel speed sensor is i by any chance? but pretty sure it goes omn the box
Old 29-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Im sure it says in the service book about the timing belt change at 100,000 mile on a ztec. I wouldnt like to let it go to 100,000 mile though. Alot of new cars now the speed sensor is all to do with the abs system. Normaly the speed sensor if it has one is on the top of the gearbox at the back normaly on the diff casing.
Old 29-02-2008, 07:56 AM
tgevans2002
Virgin

Its started a new trick last night....

Basically after a good thrash, brake hard for a roundabout, or something, and bing, dash lights come on and car stalls, its only done it a handful of times so far though... hoping its to do with this sensor.

I was going to spend a bit of money on it, Eibach springs, tints, blueflame exhaust ( since the accident the standard item keeps going on the piss and has to be adjusted ) will see though.

I also have a sensor which looks like a rad sensor, still plugged in, cable tied to the battery box, i will get a picture of that later.

Thanks
Old 29-02-2008, 05:14 PM
groomers
PassionFord Regular

the sensor on battery box is supposed to be there as it is an engine bay temp sensor, ford had problems with engine fires this cuts the fuel if it reaches a high temp.

the speed sensor is on top of the diff on the o/s end.

stalling could well be down to this or try seeing if there is an ecu reprogramme from ford that will combat this it sorted out an st i had in with idle problems(ford main dealer).

Last edited by groomers; 29-02-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 AM
tgevans2002
Virgin

Ford sold me the wrong speedo sensor.

I paid £28 for the one i had, and they wanted £68.00 for the correct one, basically told him to go fuck himself.

Had to remove the battery, battery tray, throttle body, throttle cable, airbox and air box assembely, grazed both my hands to shit, had to remove half of the engine bay wiring loo out of the way and wedge a couple of water pipes just to get to it.

Got the sensor out, it was all chewed up on the inside parts, caked in iron filings and had one massive like cornflake of metal on it aswell.

Cleaned it up and put it back in, works fine now, just snapped my only 8mm spanner so tommorow im going to bolt it back in fully, and change the gearbox oil, bit worried about all the metal and shit stuck to it

Getrag 6 speed boxes go for around £750 - £1000 i heard? Bit pissed off with it to be honest, one thing after another.