Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Fiesta RST Map Sensor, Turbo Dismantling

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:13 PM
The_Fireball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta RST Map Sensor, Turbo Dismantling

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of rebuilding a FRST Engine to go into my XR2i (8v). I have *pretty much* everything (Microcat seems to confirm), including loom and ECU, but no MAP sensor panel. Can I use the 2i one for standard boost or will i need to hunt an RS one down? It's ofab management. I'm half tempted to sod it and get Megasquirt V3 instead anyway (damn sight cheaper in USA tho, as always)

Second question, how possible is it to strip down a Turbo (standard T2 FRST, made by TT), and refit with new seals and 360 thrust bearing? Ive seen the official Garret or TT kits to do so, but I know that doing it is a different matter. I'm pretty competent and taking things to bits, having totally rebuilt and tuned my XR2i, so any advice would be much apprciated. I've also noticed the bolts are locked solid - a bit of heat to release them, gudgeon pin style??

Finally, and good meets near Norwich!?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
MarkN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You musn't run a turbo setup with the XR2i MAP sensor because it can't register any boost. Consequentially the engine will run far too lean on boost and probably melt a piston.

I have heard about DIY turbo rebuilds but have never tried it myself. I know that the main problem is balancing it properly again afterwards - something you special equipment for