Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

4x4 saff probs

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2007, 07:34 PM
eliters1
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 saff probs

hi all i just got a 4x4 saph on an h,but have a query...
it seems to vibrate quite a lot when revved id guess around the 3k ark onwards but is present all the tie apart from at idle?
only had it a week and is driving e insane already...

also how can i tell if its stage 1 or standard?is there a way if i strip the ecu i could tell?

it sees qute quick but is nothing compared to y old 2wd which ran 18psi,that was an animal,lol,i love the car but am already considering selling to get a 2wd again or are these the better one to have?
i know the 200 block is better but heavier and doesnt suffer the piston slap the 205 did on cold start,just overall advise really,it had a full rebuild 10k ago with bill so know its ok inside,just the vibration driving me mad,
its standard height with 3" system fitted and k+n /dv thats it,oh and grey 16" hocks will post pics up soon for anyone interested?lol

if you have any ideas please help,i had a 2wd 2 years ago i sold as couldnt get rid of the same vibration altho no where near as bad on that i changed the clutch/damper/prop/checked all mounts,exhaust off 3 times,no diff hopefully this will be solveable,anyway,enough rambling,lol,thanks in advance,neil.
Old 24-02-2007, 08:46 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

does it happen when you rev the engine when stationary, or when driving?
Old 24-02-2007, 08:54 PM
eliters1

hi it happens both mate,more noticeable when driving as it bulds to higher revs then i like to give it when not under load.
Old 24-02-2007, 09:31 PM
jon@work

if it does it stationary, then it's not a gearbox, prop, driveshaft, wheel or tyre issue

look at exhaust routing (close to front anti roll bar, gearbox, floor, rear diff, etc), and engine/gearbox mounts

does the engine run sweet or could it be a misfire ?
Old 24-02-2007, 10:56 PM
eliters1

hi it runs fine,had a mf on boost but regapped plugs and seems ok now,would it cause it if the pipe was close to the front arb or do you think it would have to ouch it to cause an issue?
thanks for all the help so far...
also how to tell if its chipped or not?
Old 25-02-2007, 12:04 AM
jon@work

what plug gap are you running ?
what plugs, and how old/how many miles on them ?
what colour are they (the electrode end) ? all of them look the same colour ?
how old is the dizzy cap / rotor arm ?

if you take the lid off the ECU, you'll see a chip in one corner furthest away from the loom connector - approx 1/2 inch by 1 inch. it'll have a sticker on it (leave this in place). what does it say on it ?

with regards exhaust clearance, don't forget that under load, the engine will move, so any static clearance you may have may disappear to cause the vibration
Old 25-02-2007, 03:44 PM
eliters1

hi,thanks for all the info,it vibrates when stationary as well,have also noticed today it has a blow on c box so that will be reoved soon,was looking for an excuse anyway,lol,i will check the chip,is it the sae size as an l6 2wd one?only i heard something about l8s having a pectel babyboard or something???

the plugs are motorcraft items platinum ones,look quite old to me just ordered soe ngk iridiums for it,unsure of gapping prob about .8 at a guess as they weere pretty big before,cap and rotor am unsure of the plug regap seems to have cured the mf on boost for now so the nnew plugs should help that too,it sees to go ok,i had it off a rb today in second on damp road and the back went out,lol,wasnt expecting that from a 4x4 good fun tho,will check exhaust and ecu and coe back,cheers neil.
Old 25-02-2007, 06:44 PM
jon@work

oops - that'll teach me to read more carefully. The chip you're interested in is indeed on the babyboard (standard board isn't by pectel) - the chip with the sticker on that's the same size as the L6 chip, as you said (but a L6 chip won't work in a L8 ECU)

set your plug gaps a litle smaller - 0.6-0.65mm is a commonly used gap, and fit a new rotor arm and dizzy cap if they look like they've seen better days - whilst you're at it, check the insulation on the phase sensor inside the dizzy - it rots