Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

anybody good with electrics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 PM
natt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody good with electrics?

the xr3i's still not playing. had a mechanic round today whos convinced its a wiring prob and not a fuel pump issue. im not sure but al give him a chance. anyway to the point, he tested a few circuits and for some reason the injectors came up funny. basically cylinder's 2&3 injector plugs have a pos and a negative reading from the two terminals inside but 1&4 have possitive readings on each plug terminal. i know naff all bout electrics but im guessing this isnt normal?? anybody shed some light? thanks.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM
MarkN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If the fuel pump is still sounding high pitched then that is not right. I'd check the fuel pressure before you do anything else.

Off the top of my head I think the readings you've got one the injectors are expected. The injectors are connected in pairs so the readings he has got could in fact be correct. Besides you couldn't rely on any readings from the injector wires unless the engine was running & ECU was firing them at the time...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:43 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

If your in doubt as to whether the injectors are firing properly just plug a bulb into each one and crank it over, and you should see the sequence, any abnormal sequences would indicate a fault.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:48 PM
natt

thanks for the replys guys. the fuel pressure is way low ( i think) basically it just dribbled out the fuel union when i took the filter off. got a feeling im in for a bit of a mission chasing the prob.