Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Zetec turbo build questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Bungle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zetec turbo build questions

Hi peeps basically i'm thinking of building myself a zetec turbo in the future for my xr3i mk5b 16 valve so i want to start collecting parts for the build so here goes,

ENGINE,

The engine i will be using is an xr3i 130 1800 zetec as i already have one and i'm hoping to do this on a fairly low budget,

What do i need to do to my engine i know i need new pistons to lower the compression but do i need to modify anything else on the engine or will it be safe to run with just new pistons to lower the compression? Also my mate can get the block wire rung for me should i get this done too?
I don't want to do a mental build or anything just 200 / 250 bhp and reliability with it.

MANAGEMENT,

Now i've read all kinds of things about this so i'm really stuck here,

Can i use my zetec efi inlet manifold or would i be best using frst efi?

As things stand at the min on the advice i have and the budget i have i plan to use frst loom and ofab management is this the right way to go for the power and reliability i want?

TURBO,

Right again as it stands i'm intending on using a erst exhaust manifold and t3 to get it running and then possibly upgrading to a cossie t3 at a later date although if possible and if 200 / 250 bhp is achievable i'd like to keep the standard erst t3 as i want to keep lag to a minimum and the majority of driving i do is around town and on the local dual carriageway,

Sorting the oil pipe from sump to block is ok as my mate can sort it, Obviously there's the intercooler to sort and exhaust to modify but is there anything anyone can think of that i have left out or any advice on the list i have that anyone could give???

Any help with this is really appreciated as i'm pretty new to things like this so at the min it all seems pretty daunting cheers, Grant
Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM
johnnysash
PassionFord Regular

if your on a budget, you could try using a decompression plate with a later focus metal head gasket either side.....however you want reliability as well.... so its all about getting a sensible balance

I have heard that using the ofab management on a 16v turbo is not the best way to go as it is difficult to tweak the ignition advance curve on the ECU.... (dont take this as gospel, but phone a local tuner and see what they reckon)

what are you doing about the flywheel / clutch.... if you use all of the 200 to 250 bhp a standard clutch will not last long? there is also the thing with the crank sensor, does the OFAB crank sensor pick up on a zetec flywheel? i seem to recall a mate of mine having some greif with this...... quite annoying when you have to take the whole lot out again due to some poxy little notches on a flywheel

either way.... good luck, it sounds like a worthwhile project and well worth it for the grin factor!
Old 09-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Bungle

Thanks for that mate i'm not sure about the ofab though so i think a call to a tuner will be on the cards, As for the flywheel i'm not sure there either as i've also never heard this before so if anyone else can help with any of my questions then please do so cheers, Grant
Old 09-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Bungle

Oh and i'll definately be changing the pistons to lower the compression rather than using a decompression plate,

Do you or anyone else think i'd be better off with ofac frst management then as i read on fiestaturbo.com most people have used ofab cheers, Grant
Old 09-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Simonne RS

http://www.streetdragster.com/Pages/Zetec%20Turbo.htm

heres some info on building the zetec turbo
Old 09-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Bungle

Thanks for that link mate helpful in a lot of ways but not in others as i'm still left with a lot of un answered questions,

Remember people i am trying to do this on a budget, I also need to know what management is best and cheapest to use reliably,

I also need to know what alterations MUST be done to my engine as i've been told the zetec is fine for 200 / 250 bhp in standard form apart from the need to change pistons to lower the compression although i don't know how true this is so i'd be extremely grateful for any help on all my above questions cheers, Grant