Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

DIY turbo repair

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Avinitlarge
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY turbo repair

As some of you know my car is smoking, I think its the turbo, Been looking on ebay and found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Garrett-T2-T25...QQcmdZViewItem

I stripped one of my old turbos today and found it pretty easy and straight forward to do.

Is it straight forward fitting the seals and bearings??

Does the turbo need re-balancing afterwards??

Has anyone else done this and had some sucsess??
Old 27-07-2006, 10:35 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The kit you list is only really good for turbos that have not seen a good thrashing.

Anything that has been running high boost etc or has been run for long periods while it has been worn/smokinhg etc it won't be much good for, as the bearings etc are all standard sizes.

So dependent on shaft wear and whether the oil seal housings are worn it may or may not repair it.

The turbo may need re-blanacing, again it depends what has failed on the turbo, if there has been excessive play in the shaft and either of the turbines have made contact then you will need balancing.

If you're new to turbos it may be easier to gewt yours re-conditioned, especially if you're going to pay someone else to balance it anyway....