Technical essay Archives A collection of topics you really shouldnt have missed first time round if your interested in the technical aspect of how these Fords work..!! Also many Workshop manuals available in downloadable format. Access is available to Gold Members only.

head bolt setting

Search this Thread

Old 14-02-2010, 09:28 PM
chriscossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking head bolt setting

hello people can same one help with the head bolt setting for a sierra cosworth 2wd i am puting on a group A HEAD GASKET so i need the toque settings.

thanks chris.

Last edited by chriscossie; 25-02-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: fixed problem
Old 14-02-2010, 10:02 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Torque settings for standard ford headbolts, i use arp lube under the bolt head to washer surface and some on the threads,

45ftlb
90deg turn
90deg turn
Old 14-02-2010, 10:12 PM
chriscossie

hello mate are they the full settings for that gasket .
Old 14-02-2010, 10:17 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by chriscossie
hello mate are they the full settings for that gasket .

yes mate i got these setting a while back from nms and i have used them on several engines with the YB1261 GASKET AND THE YB0611 which is what you have i think, they have all been fine, my car runs a bigger turbo with grey injectors plus 32psi of spike boost and has held together!!
Old 14-02-2010, 10:20 PM
chriscossie

Originally Posted by coswurv
Torque settings for standard ford headbolts, i use arp lube under the bolt head to washer surface and some on the threads,

45ftlb
90deg turn
90deg turn
witch order do they go in on the head
Old 14-02-2010, 10:25 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

witch order do they go in on the head

Basically start in the centre and work your way out staggering up and down the head but in all honesty do a search on here and im sure you'll find a pic, the bolts have to be all done up in stages as i posted above not all 3 stages on each bolt at once.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:30 PM
chriscossie

Basically start in the centre and work your way out staggering up and down the head but in all honesty do a search on here and im sure you'll find a pic, the bolts have to be all done up in stages as i posted above not all 3 stages on each bolt at once.
hi mate where do i look to get picture pls
Old 14-02-2010, 10:43 PM
chriscossie

hello mate i found these sequences do they sound ok top 9 3 1 5 7 bottom 8 6 2 4 10 of a head that i have found tighten to 50 nm then to 180 degrees.
Old 14-02-2010, 10:50 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Here is a pic ive just found, i use the settings i gave you, they came from one of the best tuners about and have worked on my cars so use them if you want if not use some others,

Old 14-02-2010, 11:09 PM
chriscossie

Thumbs up

Here is a pic ive just found, i use the settings i gave you, they came from one of the best tuners about and have worked on my cars so use them if you want if not use some others,

hello mate thanks for the pic the settings you have sent my do i do 45ftlb first then do i do 90deg turn after i am only asking because it is my first time at it.

thanks chris.
Old 15-02-2010, 05:29 AM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Yes go along and do the bolts up with a ratchet just pinch them up, then go along and follow the setting again doing each bolt to 45ftlb, then follow the settings again turning each bolt a rotation of 90 degrees then follow again with a further 90 degrees, but also remember to use some lube.
Old 15-02-2010, 05:19 PM
chriscossie

Talking

Yes go along and do the bolts up with a ratchet just pinch them up, then go along and follow the setting again doing each bolt to 45ftlb, then follow the settings again turning each bolt a rotation of 90 degrees then follow again with a further 90 degrees, but also remember to use some lube.
hello mate thank you for all your help i am going round to fix the car no wish me luck.

chris.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:47 PM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

hello mate thank you for all your help i am going round to fix the car no wish me luck.

chris.

Just take your time mate, any things you dont understand just ask on here im sure myself or others can help.
Old 15-02-2010, 10:42 PM
chriscossie

Talking

Just take your time mate, any things you dont understand just ask on here im sure myself or others can help.
hello mate can you tell me what the degrees is on the distrubitur cap as the timeing is slightly out because it wont run under its own steam can you help me again please.

chris
Old 16-02-2010, 08:45 AM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

hello mate can you tell me what the degrees is on the distrubitur cap as the timeing is slightly out because it wont run under its own steam can you help me again please.

chris

I take it the rest of the engine is timed up correct?, the arrows on the cam pulleys face each other, exhaust at 3 o'clock and inlet at 9 o'clock or there abouts, then the little lug on the crank pulley (just left of the grooves on the pulley) needs to be inline with the little tab on the face plate, if you've done this then one of the other lugs on the pulley will be dirctly inline with the crank sensor at the bottom of the engine. Take the dizzy cap off when the engine is at tdc and pull the rotar arm off, you will see that on the edge lip of the distributor itself there is a tiny line cut into the lip and at tdc the rotar arm has to be inline with this groove so place the arm back on and twist the dizzy until there inline and then do the bolt up to hold the dizzy in place, that should be it.
Old 16-02-2010, 10:41 PM
chriscossie

Thumbs up

I take it the rest of the engine is timed up correct?, the arrows on the cam pulleys face each other, exhaust at 3 o'clock and inlet at 9 o'clock or there abouts, then the little lug on the crank pulley (just left of the grooves on the pulley) needs to be inline with the little tab on the face plate, if you've done this then one of the other lugs on the pulley will be dirctly inline with the crank sensor at the bottom of the engine. Take the dizzy cap off when the engine is at tdc and pull the rotar arm off, you will see that on the edge lip of the distributor itself there is a tiny line cut into the lip and at tdc the rotar arm has to be inline with this groove so place the arm back on and twist the dizzy until there inline and then do the bolt up to hold the dizzy in place, that should be it.
hello mate thank you for all your help just one more question the car runs ok but it runs a bit slow may be you might no

chris