Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Sierra Cosworth Track Car - Update 12/08/08

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2007, 08:55 PM
jr
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/vi...php?tid=268062
Old 27-02-2008, 02:04 PM
bromley
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Well its been almost a year since i updated this thread so thought it was about time i did so.

After getting distracted by doing a few trackdays in my little Nova i decided it had to go so that i could concentrate on getting the cossie finished this year at last, thats whats happened and below is the progress i've made since the last update

Fitted the lights to see how they looked, left one black one white as this is what the car had in originally before i owned it and jut fancied keeping that the same

Trial fitted my new steering wheel to see how that was

About this time i decided to sell the seats i had in the car and sourced myself a pair of corbeau pro-series seats which were what i originally wanted and are much nicer in my opinion:-

More coming shortly, just have something to do

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 27-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Ian back to it

Almost there now
Old 27-02-2008, 02:33 PM
bromley

Afternoon Mate, see you're hard at work as ever, good stuff !

Thought i'd resurect this thread eventually

I can't remember why now but for some reason i thought it'd be a good time to take the dash back out and tidy some of the wiring and also remove more sound deadening while there ?, well afte a brief operation with the snips removing all un essential wiring leccy windows etc, i was left with this mess:

Thats how it stayed i'm afraid for quite some time as i got distracted by other more fun things throughout the summer, but did eventually get round to tidying it all up again

Another thing that i had been meaning to do for a long time, was to put the polly top mount bushes on, along with the strut brace, which i've actually had longer than the cars itself and the new black strut top caps:

Also managed to get an ebay barging, fibreglass front bumer rear spoiler and sideskirts for £10, not bad i thought

The front bumper will be kept as a spare as i bought another fibreglass frontbumper, ready painted for £20 that i'll be using, but did put a lick of paint on the spoiler:-

Also picked up a tatty set of doors off and old race car (Neil of here), already fitted with polly windows, excess weight removed, hence why window wiring was removed, also by this point had removed complete sunroof assembly, and fitted manually adjustable base model mirrors for now:

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 27-02-2008, 02:50 PM
bromley

Default Sierra Cosworth Track Car - Update 27/02

i also picked up my new single skin kevlar botlid.:-

Slowley getting more up to date now, i soon fitted the boot and spoiler, stillneed a paint mind, but theres plenty of time for that later

Thanks to a friend, i've also now managed to source a gearbox craddle that will let the 2wd box fit into the 4wd shell without the need for any modifications to the mounting points, excellent, so the yellow strap thats been holding it in for the last year or so has now gone, cheers Ben

I've now also added a couple more bits to the centre console area, firstly another switch, this one will do the cooling fans and secondly an FIA kill switch, which cuts both the battery circuit and ignition circuits when turned, this will also act as an extra security device as without the key, the cars going nowhere, just got to make sure i don't lose it now.

And heres my new cooling fan loom that will be connected to the switch in the above pic, it lets the fans operate as per normal but also has an auxilary lead that can be wired to a switch so they can be turned on as and when, plus each fan has its own fused relay.

Also managed to get time today to cut the middles out of the two doors that still needed doing

The battey is now going to belocated behindd the passsengr seat too, that should give me a bit more space in the engie bay

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 27-02-2008, 02:58 PM
bromley

Have also now had a friend do a top job of welding up any holes that the car had and shouldn't off, thanks Russ, which meant the car actually left the garage for the first time in two years and was driven under its own stem to a friends garage. forgot to get any pics of the welding once done and had already got a bit slap happy with the seam sealer by the timei rememebred:-

Also since removing the sunroof, decided that i no longer needed all the sunroof housing thats part of the roof, so set about removing it, and it all went suprisingly well for one of my scemes, which i was pleased with, and i didn't cut through the actual roof skin once....result ! !. So i'm now left with this pile of scrap

My nice new bling fuel pressure regulator turned up this week too

And while the car was out the other week i couldn't resist taking a couple of pics of it in the nice sunny weather

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 27-02-2008, 03:03 PM
bromley

Then a couple of weekends ago i eventually bleed up the rear brakes and re-did the fronts while i was there too.

The foot wells and other parts were been repainted white again.

2/3rds of the battery tray has now been removed to give me a little more useable space, just a bit more to get out soon.

Have also cleaned up the edges of the sun roof and measured up all the parts of the car that i'm going to plate up

And.....thats about it all up to date, so the new plan is to have it on the road for August, which i 'think' is a realistic target this time

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 27-02-2008, 03:05 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

looking good..well done
Old 27-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Turboboy67
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Looking good fella, nice to meet you the other night

Will it be ready for the RS day @ Combe in July ??

If so, you may a have 1 or 2 Carbon clad RS1800 Fiestas buzzing around you

Old 28-02-2008, 08:44 AM
bromley

Hi mate, yeah good to meet you the other night, you coming to the next meet ?

I'm not planning to have the car done for combe, i may have it ready for Ford fair, well thats the plan, as long as nothing major slows me down between now and then or if i don't get distracted either, may come on down to the dorset met if it coinsides with when i'm in weymouth too.

Met the guy thats doing your carbon stuff the other, very impressed, i've got a couple bits that he should be doing for me too over the next week or so keep your eyes peeled (although not quite as cool as yours, must admit)
Old 28-02-2008, 05:54 PM
rinus_2005

Keep the good work coming starts to look that your going to be in for some serious trackfun this year

Last edited by rinus_2005; 28-02-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: was incomplete
Old 28-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Turboboy67

Shame it won't be ready for RS Combe

Ask Luke to give you a hand he hasn't got much to do atm

I will return to the Hants meet, but not until the Summer when the weather improves, car got covered in salt last time

Dorset meet is 3rd Thursday of the month atm and 1st and 3rd from April, be good to see you there.

Keep up the good work

Old 28-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by Turboboy67

Ian i would love to assist...

Shaun nothing to do!!!!!!! have you seen the state of my car at present

Ive got a whole car to finish in 8 weeks
Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Lo@der
Passionford Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Turboboy67

I will return to the Hants meet, but not until the Summer when the weather improves, car got covered in salt last time

Dorset meet is 3rd Thursday of the month atm and 1st and 3rd from April, be good to see you there.

Keep up the good work

I'll second that, would like to see this saff in the flesh
Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Turboboy67

Any updates Ian ??
Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Lo@der
Passionford Thread Killer

Shaun, are you up the dorset meet next week? I have to pay up my £12 or Lee will do me.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Kverna
Virgin-popper

What wheels do you got there ? Love the looks!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Kelv
Almost there!

old style Comp MO's

i like what youve done there mate, lets hope it gives you the fun you want when you hit the track

Old 18-03-2008, 02:08 PM
cossiedrift
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

come on ian get done ffs
Old 18-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

I rememeber when F1 Dynamics (disco dave wilkes) built this car originally, it was a slightly scruffy 4x4 standard white saph, which dave built into a cheapish trackday machine for him and his son andy (who had just gone17 LOL) to have some fun in !!

I remember it was basically the upper end of stage 3, about 350bhp, 330mm ap 6 pots, cage, coilovers and not much else.

Andy was the one who kept breaking gearboxes in it due to his unique (!) gear changing style!, they even broke the gearbox a few years back on a two day RMA trackday at Spa-Francochamps in Belgiuim, cos i remember they borrowed a ramp at the local renault garage to change the box!!!

They sold it to gary down at RS cosworth breakers in portsmouth (where i think it was brought from?)

I'll see if i can dig out some old photos or ask dave if he's gor some?

Matt
Old 18-03-2008, 03:14 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice project. What steering wheel is that. I want one lol
Old 18-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Evans
I rememeber when F1 Dynamics (disco dave wilkes) built this car originally, it was a slightly scruffy 4x4 standard white saph, which dave built into a cheapish trackday machine for him and his son andy (who had just gone17 LOL) to have some fun in !!

I remember it was basically the upper end of stage 3, about 350bhp, 330mm ap 6 pots, cage, coilovers and not much else.

Andy was the one who kept breaking gearboxes in it due to his unique (!) gear changing style!, they even broke the gearbox a few years back on a two day RMA trackday at Spa-Francochamps in Belgiuim, cos i remember they borrowed a ramp at the local renault garage to change the box!!!

They sold it to gary down at RS cosworth breakers in portsmouth (where i think it was brought from?)

I'll see if i can dig out some old photos or ask dave if he's gor some?

Matt
Knew I recognised the car from somewhere

Heres some pics of it before Gary (who also bought our mates labbatts sierra from the first pics in this thread) owned it (when Andy/Disco had it)

Old 18-03-2008, 08:17 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ha ha thats mad
Old 18-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A good read this, nice touches too, where did you source the boot lid from? And which model box mount is that 4x4 or? looks like a std Ford part . Good work
Old 30-03-2008, 05:06 PM
bromley

Cheers guys for the comments and encouragement, makes it all worth while, sorry i've not replied to anyone sooner, just not really been on passionford lately and didn't realise people had replied to this thread, oops

Matt Evens / Nick

Thanks for the info and the pics, all very interesting and good to see it in its former glory, love it, I did go up and see the car originally when it was sat in Daves workshop stripped and sat on the floor, he showed me a few pics of it with orange wheels on in track and race car magazine i think, also showed me some of the pics of it when they went to spa, think they went 3 times judging by the stickers still in the window. To get it on the trailer and bring it back to portsmouth involved sticking some solid bar where the rear shocks should have been as it had none, before putting some old wheels on the back, then using a fork lift to get the rest of the car on the trailer, as it had no front end (left the 4x4 one at Daves and fitted the 2wd bits when back at gary's). Gary's still got your mates old labbats car Nick, i'm lucky enough to have been out in it on track a good few ocassions, proper animal of a car. Its at the painters at the mo, having a few bits touched up after the wee fire at fordfair, he should be out in it at combe later this month, the 19th i think ?.

Well due to the weather and not being around much lately i've not got much more done on it since the last update, i have now however bought a cheapy pair of budget tyres, just to get it through the MOT and to use to run the engine in, then will get a new full set for next year. And...................

A set of carbon door cards, just to tidy things up a little bit and to cover up some of those sharp edges

And....... went to the garage to do some work on the pick-up today, bit got completely sidetracked end ended up fitting them

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 20-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Nice car, mate, but how have you removed that crappy black glue on the doors before putting the carbon door cards ?
Old 21-06-2008, 08:20 PM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

where did you get those carbon door cards from matey and how much ?

good read this thread too
Old 21-06-2008, 09:04 PM
bromley

Originally Posted by Xen
Nice car, mate, but how have you removed that crappy black glue on the doors before putting the carbon door cards ?
I know, i'm bad, its only on one door but i am going to get rid of it next time i'm down there hopefully, just didn't have any solvent remover at the time. They're on there more for function than form anyway, theres plenty of other stuff i should really be doing first anyway before attemping to make it look respectable

Originally Posted by boost mad
where did you get those carbon door cards from matey and how much ?

good read this thread too
Cheers mate, i got them from Mike at http://www.performance-trim.com/ I gave him a pair of doors and he made a set of templates off them, very good for the money and cover up all the door internals nicely. Think they were about £85 a pair.

I have got more done to it, so will try and add some updates before long
Old 21-06-2008, 09:10 PM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bromley
I know, i'm bad, its only on one door but i am going to get rid of it next time i'm down there hopefully, just didn't have any solvent remover at the time. They're on there more for function than form anyway, theres plenty of other stuff i should really be doing first anyway before attemping to make it look respectable

Cheers mate, i got them from Mike at http://www.performance-trim.com/ I gave him a pair of doors and he made a set of templates off them, very good for the money and cover up all the door internals nicely. Think they were about £85 a pair.

I have got more done to it, so will try and add some updates before long

they are not to far away from me either

Last edited by boost mad; 21-06-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 21-06-2008, 09:16 PM
bromley

Yeah, his workshop is actually in chichester, he'll make anything for you, its just the cost of a mould which is a bit of a killer, he concentrates mainly on VW's but is doing more and more for fords, which is good news
Old 22-06-2008, 10:51 PM
nuttynil
RS nutta

hope this car brings you some track fun its lookin good ............
Old 23-06-2008, 04:15 PM
SierraCos2wd
jesus lives good....

where did you buy the fan wiring?
Old 23-06-2008, 06:34 PM
COZ!!!!
Ford -The power of dreams

I havent read all the thread but are you gonna sort the body out aswell. Check for any rust and stuff.

tof saff
Old 25-06-2008, 04:13 PM
bromley

Originally Posted by SierraCos2wd
where did you buy the fan wiring?
Hi mate, i bought mine off ebay, theres a guys that has some for sale on there every couple of weeks or so, alternatively, Ryan off this site sells them too

Originally Posted by COZ!!!!
I havent read all the thread but are you gonna sort the body out aswell. Check for any rust and stuff.

tof saff
Hi mate, the plan is to get the car run in, then do a few more bits over the winter before doing a year or two of track days in it as is, then if i still like it, i'll get another decent shell, put a proper cage in and have it painted. Thjis ones had so many panels etc it just doesn't merit the money being thown at it to make it look pretty, structually tho, its not to bad, chassis legs wings etc, all the rusted areas have already been seen to at various points. Just want to get on and drive it now
Old 25-06-2008, 06:28 PM
SierraCos2wd
jesus lives good....

Thanks.

very nice car mate
Old 27-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Btw where have you got your kevlar boot ? Would like one for my car, don't you wanna sell me yours ?
Old 27-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Loving that mate!!
Old 27-06-2008, 06:18 PM
bromley

Cheers !

Originally Posted by Rab
Loving that mate!!
Hi mate, the bootlid was from www.xsportracing.com in southhampton, a very reasonable price too, think it was £60-80 or something in that region
Old 27-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Mad Matt
Rally nut

Kewl brom thank you for the link, I've just contacted them !
Old 27-06-2008, 07:08 PM
bromley

Originally Posted by Mad Matt
Kewl brom thank you for the link, I've just contacted them !
No probs

Quick Reply: Sierra Cosworth Track Car - Update 12/08/08