Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Sierra Cosworth Track Car - Update 12/08/08

Search this Thread

Old 17-05-2006, 12:42 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

nice project
Old 17-05-2006, 01:32 PM
bailey1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AS ABOVE
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
bromley
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys

Well sorry for the lack of updates over the last month or two, but theres been good reason for it, got offered some paid overtime at work which is a rareity at best, so eneded up working 7 days a week for about a month & a half, then went on hols to Austrailia for a few weeks during may, which was cracking and only got back about a week ago, so've had very little time to get much done lately.

However since getting back all re-motivated and getting a bumper check for my overtime i've wasted no time in putting in number of orders and have started amassing all the bits i need to bring the engine to life.

Over the last week i've bought the following list of goodies
Group A head gasket
Group A cambelt and tensioner
Oil filter
Fuel filter
rocker cover gasket & half moon seals
Group A K&N air filter (cheers Andy)
New gearstick
Battery
Number plates
Brake fluid
Anti freeze
Clutch cable
and various other bolts and fittings etc as needed

Well this is the state its been in for the last month or 2, looking a bit neglected:-

Thought i'd start with something simple so have now bleed up the front brakes after fixing a leaking joint, but the rears were being a bit of a bugger so will leave them to re-do next week.

A boot full of goodies :-

My main priority now tho has got to be the engine, so while it's in the state it is thought it would make sense to do things properly so decided to whip the head off and strip it of exhasut manifold and plenum before dropping it of at a local engineering firm for them to give it a quick skim and to check the valves for any leakage, so my engine bays looking rather empty again (and i've a sore back again):-

bits lying everywhere :-

Anyway droped the head off on wednesday and picked it up again today, its now withe a friend waiting to be re-assembled some point next week hopefully before getting refitted to the car along with new belts gaskets etc

While waiting for this to be done i've now started re-fitting stuff in preparation, got fed up with having the intercooler clogging up me bedroom, so took that down to the garage:-

then fitted these on wednesday night, all went in nicely and should do the job until i can aford an ally rad :-

Went back down thursday and plumbed the power steering system with a couple of new hoses and added the header and p/s tanks along with a couple of rad hoses:-

Also fitted my new gear lever in between all this somewhere, not a ford one but quite a hefty looking home made jobby i picked up from my local cossie breaker, so no broken gearlevers for me, hopefully !, then fitted a new clutch cable today which feels so satisfying, the pedels no longer flapping around by itself !

Well thats pretty much where it stands to date, still got a few more things to get ordered over the next few weeks, but fingers crossed as long as all goes well, i'm hoping for it to be runing in the next 2-3 weeks, fingers crossed ! ! !, even if its just so that i no longer have to push it in & out of the garage !

So this is the final pic of how it looked a few hours ago, have decided to leave the bumper off for now as i have to remove it everytime i need to jack it up as its a bit low at the front especially with that splitter fitted:-

Also have a few odds and sods going off to be powdercoated next week, so i'm looking forward to see how they come out

Hopefully have some more good news to report before to long, this weekends spare time however is now dedicated to getting my daily drive running, as i'm fed up with cycling to work everyday again fingers crossed !

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 13-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE

Morning Ian

The parts are at the powder coaters as we speak so should be done for next week. They are a little busy but you would be if your sat outside in the sun. Who can blame though its a scorcher today. Thank goodness i have two dys of as of tomorrow.

Time to buff the zim zimmer and start stripping my engine down. DOH!!

The car is getting there mate not long now until you start her up.
Old 13-06-2006, 10:29 AM
seand
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default RESTO

GOOD LUCK WITH REBUILD!!

LOOKING WELL AND IT WILL BE GREAT FUN!!
Old 13-06-2006, 01:08 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Looking good Ian, cant wait to see her running!!
Old 13-06-2006, 05:33 PM
bromley

cheers for the kind words guys, really looking forward to getting it going now, its getting there slowley but surely

thanks alot for sorting that out for us Luke , tis a scorcher indeed mate best of luck buffin up the ol'beemer tomorrow and if you need a hand with the other any evening this week just give us a bell. next weeks no probs for those bits by the way none of them are particulary important at the mo anyway.

As mentioned earlier John put the money in your account at lunch so it should clear straight away, and thanks again for doing that for us mate its much appreciated , its such a pain having me damn card registered in weymouth
Old 03-07-2006, 10:13 PM
bromley

Well the heads still not ready to put on yet so got bussy making myself a few blanking panels to replace the airvents i'm not using

The car will still have heaters but they will only be connected to the small long vent on top of the dash that clears the screen and the two small vents that are aimed at the front windows, therefore the main vents have been blanked off to mount various items, or left blank ?

the one the secs monitor is in is some copy stuff i got with the monitor, the top one is 2mm thick carbon fibre with the fuel pump cut of switch and relocated heater controls and plenty of room for more when needed.

And the drivers air vent slot now houses the rear fogs and heated front screen, front fogs are not being used and the heated rear screen will come out when the perspex goes in (whenever), was going to mount the window switches here, but all will be replaced with perspex at some point so doesn't seem worth it, i'll save the sopace for other things i may need ?

Well thats all for now, more soon hopefully

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Starting to take shape now mate
Old 04-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

very nice
Old 05-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Luca
Lukesville

THAT DASHBOARD LOOKS SWEEEEET

Keep it going mate your nealry there now.....
Old 05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
DAN P
PassionFord Post Troll

looking very good m8 keep it up
Old 05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
bromley

Cheers for the kind words again guys, all much appreciated as always

Shouldn't be to long now until its running, at least ! also bolted on a new fuel line to replace a kinked one and plumbed and wired in the pump, filter etc last night, so its getting there at last
Old 05-07-2006, 09:19 PM
rstoughy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Coming on really well

Bet you cant wait to get it on track
Old 14-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Luca
Lukesville

B.B.B
Bromleys. Been .Busy

update surely
Old 14-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Dash looks Given me some ideas there
Old 14-07-2006, 10:39 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Get it running!!!
Old 15-07-2006, 01:40 PM
RSCossieGaz
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bromley wouldnt want to swap your comps for some rl7's at all?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:20 PM
bromley

Well its been a while since i put up an update, but that certainly doesn't mean things haven't been happening and i decided that i wouldn't do an update until i got to the stage i am now.

Well shortly after the last update went up, a friend finished putting the head back together for me and it was all ready to bolt back together (thanks John), so a couple of friends popped round to help put the head back on and time it up, but while cleaning the mating surface of the block it was noticed that the pistons had some rotational play . So that put a stop to any progress that evening and the decision was made that it would be better to pull the block back out and fix the problem now rather than later.

So out it all came again, one step forwards, two steps backwards , but better to get these things sorted now, than cause probs in the long run.

The block then went to a friends place where he quickly stripped it for me and found that the gudgen pins were knackered, causing the twisting movement, so these were all replaced and while there a few other precautionary bits were checked and replaced also. So the bottom end has been rebuilt with new, gudgeon pins, piston rings, big ends, small ends, full gasket set and the crank checked over and given the ok, at this point i must say a massive thanks to Russel for doing all this for me, real top job mate, i really appreciate it ! ! Also while at it he put the head on and timed everything up and took it back down to my garage and dropped it in the car for us

With it now back in its proper home again it was time to start fitting everything back up (again). A couple of evenings of this was far more satisfyiing with it all begining to look like a car again. Even if it was a bit of a puzzle figuring out where all the hoses pipes and sensors went, especially as i never took them off in the first place.

Then came the task of filling the car full of fluids which felt a bit like a milestone in itself, so i quick trip to the shell station with a couplle of jerry tins, some antifreeze p/s fluid and oil later it was ready to start, but not beforer blinding myself with a face full of petrol, plonker

This was all about a week ago, and basically its been truning over fine, but theres been no spark, so several days of multimeters, poking stuff and general confusion later, and due to the general bad state of the wiring in the car and the fact the car is fitted with the integrated 4x4 loom and the engine is a 2wd, it was decided to try and fudge a 2wd loom in over the top of the 4wd stuff, just to see if the prob was in the loom, big thanks to ben for coming up with the loom and helping fit it all last night.

Finally again a big thanks to all those that have helped me in the last couple of months you all know who you are, its much appreciated and i won't forget it

Well the current state of play is as follows, its been a long time coming but, its getting there :-

Its not quite all there yet as the new loom needs connecting into the car loom properly, but it worked well enough today to be able to drive it into the gargae for the first time under its own steam

Last edited by bromley; 28-04-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:34 PM
weeks
Virgin

Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 PM
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good work Ian
Old 09-09-2006, 08:22 PM
DAN P
PassionFord Post Troll

keep it up dude
Old 09-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thats a good project you have there, Im interested in this one, the wheels look smart in silver on the white , some decent touches, dash, bumper etc
Old 09-09-2006, 10:20 PM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Coming on nicely - not long now!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 AM
bromley

Cheers for the comments guys , getting there slowley but surely
Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Ben M
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default top man

cheers ian its been a pleasure to help u mate your a good fella and the shouts will be coming back when i start on deans shell one day...... its coming along nicely and we will get to the bottom of all them nasty wires he says scratching his forehead.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 AM
rstoughy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Excellent news, nice to see that its up and running well done
Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

WOW you have been a busy biy!!

Looks great under there now mate, will have to pop down and have a look and hear the old girl for myself
Old 12-09-2006, 10:10 PM
bromley

he he, yeah is a good feeling to know its running at last
and once all those nasty little wires are identified and sorted out proiperly it'll be even better, eh ben

yeah head on down any time john, and if you don't want any of those bits you've picked up, then bring em with ya, i'm sure they'd look good in there
Old 13-09-2006, 03:45 AM
Alan s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bromley
he he, yeah is a good feeling to know its running at last
and once all those nasty little wires are identified and sorted out proiperly it'll be even better, eh ben

yeah head on down any time john, and if you don't want any of those bits you've picked up, then bring em with ya, i'm sure they'd look good in there
Whot wires m8 Let me know i may now im in the middle of stripping a Standard loom out of a DOHC engine'd car to go in my cossie Road/Track toy Look for my resto post to see whot i have done so far not a great deal tho but getting there lol

Ps was that your Engine loom on ebay with the yellow ecu plug If so whot did it make i have my old one sat waiting to put up for sale soon
Old 13-09-2006, 07:14 PM
bromley

Alan S1
Cheers for the offer mate , would have taken you up on it, but we've just had a break through, a friends been helping out the last couple of evenings to get the wiring side of things sorted and tonight we managed to remove the entire 4x4 engine loom from the car and connect the feeds from the car loom up to the 2wd engine loom, so its all looking a lot neater and working a whole lot better now too, (cheers Ben). Wasn't my engine loom on ebay tho by the way, it was still in the car until about an hour ago

Yeah i've been keeping an eye on yours too, its progressing along nicely mate , keep up the good work and mate and keep them updates coming
Old 14-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Alan s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bromley Sound like your wiring is more confussing then mine
Strange ford must have done some of the looms with a Yellow ECU plug Have you brought a Bramd New Engine Loom ???

Will keep the updates coming m8 not a problem there

Look folward to seeing an update on yours to
Old 14-09-2006, 02:51 AM
Alan s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

OI so it was you that out bid me on GAV's Flocked dash on ebay some time ago cnut Never mind have had a VERY Good quote of Garage 19 off hear to do mine when i got it ready and the cash toghter
Old 14-09-2006, 06:04 PM
the saint
Advanced PassionFord User

Ian i`m glad shes going together but the big q i have is when you going to paint all of the grill
Old 14-09-2006, 07:08 PM
bromley

Alan S1
yep sorry mate that was me that had Gav's old dash, and must say its very nice too
not to sure what was going on with the ford wiring, i've now got a second hand engine loom out of a 2wd car and this one has the black plug

Dean
ha ha, yes would of painted the grill a long time ago but ran out off paint and i'm kind off used to it as it is now, i may get round to doing it one day maybe ?
Now mines running this must mean i can start to give you grief to get your track car going
Old 15-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Alan s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by bromley
Alan S1
yep sorry mate that was me that had Gav's old dash, and must say its very nice too
not to sure what was going on with the ford wiring, i've now got a second hand engine loom out of a 2wd car and this one has the black plug

Dean
ha ha, yes would of painted the grill a long time ago but ran out off paint and i'm kind off used to it as it is now, i may get round to doing it one day maybe ?
Now mines running this must mean i can start to give you grief to get your track car going
Dame you could have had mine Whot sis you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ???? Seen some on ebay
Old 15-09-2006, 07:25 PM
bromley

Think it was something like £100-130, really can't remember
decided i had to have it whatever price, within reason and glad i did as its been done really nicely
Old 16-03-2007, 07:55 PM
bromley

Well this post is well overdue an update i feel, so here goes.
Not very much happened to the car toward the end of last year or early this as i decided i needed a bit of a break from it to do some other things and hoped my enthusiasm would return this year, which it has i'm happy to say. Since the last up date i've also bought myself a house, which means the car won't be finished and on track this year unfortunately, due to the money that will be going into the house. So I've decided to take a little longer to get it done and to do a few things now that i intended to do once it was all finished.

Heres a couple of the things that that i've done over the last couple of weeks, some more updates will be posted as and when i have chance and something worth while posting

I eventually got round to getting myself a suede wheel of ebay for a good price after much looking :-

picked myself up a set of pretty bashed up morretes for £40 and set about cleaning them up a bit:-

How they were once i'd removed the lamps :-

So i set about trying to make them a bit better and thought i'd try my hand at a touch of fibreglassing :-

Then sanded this back ready for the next stage:-

Next i decided to try and get the original shape back using some filler :-

I was quite happy with the outcome so decided to give them a lick of paint, this maybe not to some peoples liking but i'm afraid its going to be half and half like the grill

Thy're not perfect and still have a few small chips & and bit of pitting, but they're just the job for what i'm after

I'll post a couple more pics once i've got them on the car
Old 16-03-2007, 08:26 PM
bromley

I forgot to add, that as i've now decided that this won't be finished this year i've bought myself a new everyday car that i also intend to use for a few trackdays this year

I bought this back in oct last year from a fiend and it's great fun.

It's a .................... Vauxhall Nova Merit, with a 2ltr redtop in it, a few of us did a day at goodwood last month and had a great laugh, the little car did well and i had a cracking time, just thought i'd add a couple of pics below for you to see.

Before i do a quick request, if anyone has or knows of both a rollcage for a nova for sale and one corbeau pro-series seat for sale, please let me know as i'm desperate for both, thanks very much

Quick Reply: Sierra Cosworth Track Car - Update 12/08/08