Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

MonK-E's ST170 Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:06 PM
MonK-E
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default MonK-E's ST170 Project

Hi all, I haven't been round here long but i thought id just jump in with a project. It will be a nice long term one that I'll try and keep updated regularly.
I've previously built a supercharged mk4 golf and a couple of turbo projects. if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post up some pics.

I felt like getting away from the vag scene and wanted to go with something that handles straight out of the box. So i went out and picked up a fairly battered st170 for £450, its only done just under 80k miles but it has a smashed drivers window, 3 bald tyres, a completely dead battery, the EML is on and dents all over it.

The person I bought it of was kind enough to give me the door glass he got from the scrappy to replace it.
It was a nice easy job.

Then got her straight on a 4 post ramp to go through a fair bit and see exactly how much fun I'm in for

A few bits of bodgery gone on but nothing too bad. plenty of surface rust to sort out as to be expected from a car of this age and a bit of rot round the inner arch liner.
Emptied out the boot and found the spare wheel mount has almost disintegrated haha

Then onto the out side damage

The front wing I'll just replace. but all the other dents are going to have to be pulled out. luckily my cousin has a body shop so I have pulled out some of the interior to be able to get to a couple of spots

Then loaded her back up on the trailer ready to get the dents pulled out tomorrow. my cousin has told me because I'm a cheap skate he'll show me how to do one then its up to me to do the rest. Fair play, could be fun. or it might come back far worse hahaha.

Oh yeah before I forget I did the little trick with the trip meter and found out the EML was just the battery voltage low code. So I put another battery on and all is spot on, fires up straight away all gauges reading normal
Old 08-01-2018, 05:43 PM
MonK-E

I spent a few days at my cousins bodyshop. It was awesome fun and a learning experience, I even got to play with a rs500 he's got in at the moment.

Any way on to the ST170, first job was to clean a line where the crease is so you can tack little keys and pull the dent using a super impressive tool. I was initially quite sceptical of this but it turns out to be blinding.

I was quite made up with how that corner came out to be honest. even though it took me nearly all day (saying that I've never done this sort of body work before)

Then onto the other side

If you take a look at the earlier pics of this side you can see the arch was nearly flat. It took some work to pull it back out inch by inch working round the arch. very surprised to be able to get the shape back.

Then onto the dent below the side window

A quick skim using his finest finishing filler

and fun sanding it all back

Then 3 coats of high build primer

I missed one dent at the bottom of the door that Ill go back to before it eventually gets a full coat of primer. also the front drivers side wing I will just replace, rather than pulling and filling them.
After all this back to the workshop for a play with the back end
Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 PM
MonK-E

I whipped the wheels off on the ramp and started loosening the rear subframe

once that was off I decided id take another look at the split in the bottom of the passenger side rear wheel arch.
Turns out its not just split, its a bit rot.

nothing to do but cut it out

I made up a little plate, I even cut the square little hole for the plastic bung that I don't know what its for. Then welded it in and primed it.

Hopefully tomorrow ill have a look at the subframe and start cleaning it up.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:19 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Bloody good bit of work. I used a one sided spot welder and slide hammer years ago. Those dent pullers have certainly come on a bit. Keep up the good work. What's the plans?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:07 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Good work there mate
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 PM
MonK-E

Cheers,
Amazing bits of kit to be honest. no idea what my cousin paid for it but its well worth its weight it gold.

Haha plenty of plans and not deep enough pockets as always.
So far its to sort all the underside out, respray then turbo conversion. Depending on how that goes i might forge another zetec and aim for a bit more if i'm allowed.
luckily I can TIG weld and have the use of a half decked out machine shop so I'll be doing all the fabrication myself which will keep a lot of the cost in check.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

tidy bit of bodywork that is!
it's actually fairly clean underneath that is (minus the wheel well) - perfect excuse to cut it out and make it flat boot though

be sure to take the rear arch liner carpets out and check for rust there before comitting yourself any more. Sills are a common thing on them, but looks like you've caught yours in good time

EML will no doubt either be a lambda problem or the IMRC module..... again common issues.
The following users liked this post:
MonK-E (09-01-2018)

Trending Topics

Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 AM
PaulinhoT

Received 148 Likes on 147 Posts

Looking really good so far, and so glad another ST170 has/is being saved. Top quality work as well.
As Rowe said, check behind the rear arch linings and if okay, treat that area, as they are well known for rusting there (like mine was).
MonK-E (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM
MonK-E

Cheers buds,
I had a closer look at the inner rear wheel arches and they are a bit scabby. So I’ve sorted those, I’ll update more when I get home

Rowe, that’s not a bad idea about the rear flat floor. I was thinking of trying to save it though. I’ll have a think about it and see when it comes to sorting that section out.

Just a random question to any one passing by. Do you know if brembo GT junior’s off a old leon cupra R fit the st hubs. I just have a set laying about so it would be nice to use them.
Obviously the discs won’t fit as they are 5 bolt, but that shouldn’t be to much of a issue
PaulinhoT (02-02-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:10 PM
jonfoc

The focus rs uses a brenbo caliper so I cant see why not. Anything can be made to fit. It’ll be the offset on the disc that will be the thing to sort. Then make a bracket to suit. One of the lads on here will know how
Old 09-01-2018, 03:51 PM
MonK-E

Little update, as mentioned the inner rear wheel arches were a bit scabby. So I cleaned them up with the wirebrush on the angle grinder. Then gave them a quick coat of primer.
Looks like I’ve caught it just in time, much more and I would of been cutting holes in the arches and welding plates there too. Later on once I have the fuel tank out I’ll go over the whole underside and paint any patches that are starting to corrode. Then I’ll underseal and waxoyl certain sections
I had a quick look at the calliper carriers. It looks like I’ll have to make my own as these won’t fit. No biggie just another part that’s added to the big list of what needs fabricating.Turns out the rs brembo’s are a bit different. Same design of calliper just a different type of mounting. Well I’m back to work tomorrow, so it’ll be the weekend before I get to play with the car again 😢
PaulinhoT (10-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:37 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Your lucky you have caught the inner arches many have rotted out there big time.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:16 PM
MonK-E

Yeah hopefully if I cure all these little bits like this it’ll stay a nice car for years to come once I’ve finished with it.
Are the front arches prone to the same? Or is it because of the silly felt rear arch liners.
Thinking about those I might clean them up and waxoyl the inside face of them to make them a bit more waterproof and not hold water against the body. Is there anything else to do to help prevent this happening again in a few years time
Old 09-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Pwrs2k
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellent work mate currently restoring mine these cars are at the age where theyre starting to rust bad good underated cars.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 AM
PaulinhoT

Nice looking work, and a good save on the rear aches, both of mine were rotten, and needed a little bit of work. I've actually never checked the fronts, but it is plastic lining isn't it.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MonK-E
Cheers buds,
I had a closer look at the inner rear wheel arches and they are a bit scabby. So I’ve sorted those, I’ll update more when I get home

Rowe, that’s not a bad idea about the rear flat floor. I was thinking of trying to save it though. I’ll have a think about it and see when it comes to sorting that section out.

Just a random question to any one passing by. Do you know if brembo GT junior’s off a old leon cupra R fit the st hubs. I just have a set laying about so it would be nice to use them.
Obviously the discs won’t fit as they are 5 bolt, but that shouldn’t be to much of a issue
in comparison to my shell yours is practically perfect in terms of rust

as has been mentioned, the mk1 RS uses brembo callipers as standard. I've seen a few lads convert their 170's to RS callipers up front, but they have to space the disc away from the hub to clear the balljoint (RS knuckles are slightly different because of the wider track)
If you could sort a bracket that utilises the RS disc that'll save any headaches
Old 10-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Mashurst
Regular Contributor

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes , the black count on here has down the RS Brembo conversion, and I have the bits to do mine too, although if I could source some disks that didn't need spacing that would be easier

We still have to use a fitting bracket though....But they are easy to get from the bay of Eees
Old 15-01-2018, 07:50 PM
MonK-E

I managed to do a little bit this weekend, not much though as everyone wanted my help, so many distractions.

Started pulling the subframe apart, well cutting it apart it seems a fairly common practice with these or so i have read.

Then went on to cleaning the arb up and giving it a quick coat of primer

And for a cheap laugh I gave it some boost

Old 15-01-2018, 07:58 PM
MonK-E

Originally Posted by Rowe
as has been mentioned, the mk1 RS uses brembo callipers as standard. I've seen a few lads convert their 170's to RS callipers up front, but they have to space the disc away from the hub to clear the balljoint (RS knuckles are slightly different because of the wider track)
If you could sort a bracket that utilises the RS disc that'll save any headaches
Looking about i think that will be the way forward.
A set of rs disks with 5mm universal spacers behind them and a set of slightly longer wheel studs should do the trick. Then it'll just be a case of fabricating a set of caliper hangers, which shouldn't be too much hassle
Old 15-01-2018, 08:31 PM
MonK-E

Originally Posted by PaulinhoT
Nice looking work, and a good save on the rear aches, both of mine were rotten, and needed a little bit of work. I've actually never checked the fronts, but it is plastic lining isn't it.
thanks,
yeah seems I have been lucky with this. seen a few pics of what can happen to them not so great. still if i run some seam sealer round them then underseal or waxoyl them it should keep the dreaded rot away for a few years to come. really must remind myself to pop the front arch liners out and have a good look there, just in case there are little patches to clean up and treat.
Old 16-01-2018, 06:11 PM
PaulinhoT

Nice attention to detail
Old 17-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Cool project. I used to have a ST170. There a cracking car. Nice to see one being saved. Check the floor where the back seat belts bolt too. My wife's 53 reg focus was rotten around this area.
Old 17-01-2018, 07:27 PM
MonK-E

Cheers, I’ll double check the rear seatbelt mounts at the weekend. I know the drivers side rear mount is fine as I pulled the back seat out on that side. But I’ll definitely check the other side as well now.

I actually quite like that these are under rated to be honest, it makes it that bit better once nicely modified.
I done a similar thing with an old Mk4 golf 2.0 8v although everyone said that car just plain sucked until I tweaked it.
I tore the whole thing apart freshened up the engine with a blower off a merc clk200, wmi, fmic and a few choice bits lol
Old 17-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I only sold mine cause me and the Mrs needed a bigger car cause of our little boy.

I f*#kin hate VWs ha ha ha.
Old 18-01-2018, 05:30 AM
MonK-E

Hahaha fair play.

I found it to be a bit swings and roundabouts with my littlen. If the weather is good a 5dr is best. If it’s raining I prefer a 3dr as you can climb in the back and keep dry.
Nothing worse than trying to put a kid in a 5dr with rain going down the back of your neck haha
Old 28-01-2018, 07:47 PM
MonK-E

finaly got round to painting the arb. Not sure on the colour yet or how it’ll go with the final colour of the car.

Then then went on to cleaning the sub frame and giving one side a lick of paint

also thought I’d paint my toolbox while the paints were out. Quite like a bit of satin black

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
Old 28-01-2018, 08:03 PM
jonfoc

Great work again. I've got a lovely brand new H&R front anti roll bar and adjustable drop links that would go lovely on this.
MonK-E (29-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 06:47 AM
MonK-E

Thanks for the offer bud, but for the time being I’m going to keep stock suspension components until she’s up and running so I can get a proper feel for the chassis. Then decide where improvements are needed
Old 10-02-2018, 12:47 PM
MonK-E

I’ve now pulled the fuel tank out.

ive noticed that the st170 has a returnless fuel system. Which is no good to me what so ever, so looks like I’ll have to retrofit one as it’ll make life a lot more simple later on when it comes to mapping in a turbo on a standalone ecu.

Good news is that the pump cover has a return line blanked off, just nothing to connect it to inside.
Shouldnt be a problem though as I’ll just connect a pipe to the under side of the cover and dangle it down in the tank

after looking under the car I think it’s about time I started some of this surface rust off.

ive made a bit of a start. Lots of wire brush on a 4” grinder work, all good fun though
puffed a bit of zinc primer on the patches I’ve done. Once I’ve done the whole rear end I’ll go round it with some seamsealer.

one other thing I’ve noticed is at some point someone has got a bit happy with a cutting disc, most likely to cut a joiner or something in the exhaust and didn’t realise they was also cutting into the space saver well. Not that it’s hard to repair but it really is making me think I might flat floor the boot.

im also having second thoughts about the use of the car once she’s up and running again.
I don’t really need a daily as I have a work van and the Mrs has her own car. So maybe a more track orientated car would fit the bill a bit more. Dunno yet have to think some and way it up in my head
Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 PM
MonK-E

As far as I got today

Old 11-02-2018, 09:25 AM
PaulinhoT

Looking really good so far, top work.
MonK-E (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:43 PM
MonK-E

A touch more progress, slowly getting rid of all the rusty patches.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:31 PM
PaulinhoT

It's moving along nicely
Old 11-02-2018, 06:00 PM
MonK-E

Originally Posted by PaulinhoT
It's moving along nicely
Cheers. yeah starting to see progress now, which is allways a good thing. Plus I have a few days off this week so I should be able to get a fair amount more done
Old 12-02-2018, 02:52 PM
MonK-E

I decided to keep the wheel well so I welded up the cut marks

finished cleaning the underside of the rear and primed the rest

also finished cleaning the rear wheel arches a bit better and primed them

Then went over all the seams with seamsealer

should be able to get a good coat of underseal on tomorrow once the sealer has hardened
Old 12-02-2018, 03:32 PM
PaulinhoT

That all looks really good, and hopefully the car will last many years
MonK-E (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 04:02 PM
MonK-E

Hopefully it will
im also going to run a few cans of waxoyl up through the holes in the chassis rails and sils. So it should be well protected from the good ole British elements. That and I’ll hopefully be keeping it locked away in a garage when not in use.
Old 13-02-2018, 12:45 PM
MonK-E

Stuck a can of waxoyl on the wood burner, literally the best way to thin it down to be able spray with out the gun clogging up and blowing the can across the workshop

I filled the chassis rails and sils up with waxoyl and undersealed the back end and wheel arches.

Fingers crossed the back end is well rust protected for a fair few years to come now
Old 13-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Pwrs2k
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work there mate ��
Old 13-02-2018, 07:59 PM
MonK-E

Originally Posted by Pwrs2k
Nice work there mate ��
Cheers bud, she’s starting to come along. Not a patch on yours though, your car is absolutely immaculate

Quick Reply: MonK-E's ST170 Project