Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Help with Ford Transit...damsel in distress!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Trundlelin
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Ford Transit...damsel in distress!

Bonsoir

Hi

I have a Ford transit camper van 1996 LWB

Her side sliding door wont shut... the door bounces back....Ive taken the door panel off... the lock looks to be working ok...moves with key etc. WD40 on everything!!

The door slides along track ok....but wont go all way in and bounces back

I think the Latch has jammed in lock position..and wont go over the keep.... Ive tried to get to the latch via the door panel but can only see where the cable goes into the frame... Ive tried to take the latch off the door... with the correct screwdriver bit!..but it wont budge! Ive tried to force the latch open...but will only go backwards not forwards to release position...

My Haynes manual is good but doesnt show the latch

I dont want to take the door off completely as it is too heavy for me to get it back on the runners again on my own...and I cant get her to a garage so will have to do it on my own

Any advice.... for a damsel in distress in deepest rural France

Many Thanks...in antisipation

Trundlelin
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
tonysierra4x4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

were you holding the door handle in open position when you tried to force the actual lock to open.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Trundlelin
Virgin

Bonsoir

I opened the door in the normal way with no problems....I went to close it after and it bounced back...Ive tried with the Lock...Locked with key & Unlocked with key... lock moves ok... the Ive taken the panel off...lock moving ok... the latch on the other end of the door is not moving at all with the key/lock... the latch will not go over the keep to pull the door in to closed. I have tried to force the latch to "open" so it can go over the keep...but it only will move backwards... I can not see if the cable from the lock to the latch is moving etc...

Ive tried to take the latch off the door but can not get the "fixings" to undo...even with the correct bit and an electric screwdriver...you can not see from the door panel...

Any advice...

Many Thanks

Trundlelin
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like door lock is jammed in the open position
Or the rod from the handle to the lock has become jammed
Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Trundlelin
Virgin

Bonsoir

Hi

Yes..I thought that...how do I unjamme it...?

Ive taken the panel off.... the cable from the lock to the latch is free at the lock end.... I can not see the connection at the latch end as goes through a metal panel to the latch. I have tired to unscrew the fixings to the latch on the outside of the panel..but it wont budge...

Any advice...??

Bientot

Trundlelin
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Can you take some pictures so we can see what you're dealing with? They're not too complicated fortunately enough.

The torx screws will be loctited in so you will need the same bit but for a ratchet.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Trundlelin
Virgin

Bonjour

Hi

Ill take some pics later and get back to you

I have a bit that fits the torx srew... but my electric screwdriver will not turn it...
I also have a allen key that fits it but I dont have enough strength in my hands to turn it....

I be back this afternoon

Thanks for trying to help

Bientot

Trundlelin
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Trundlelin
Virgin

Bonjour all

Thanks DazC for asking for pics...been up the garden to take them... was fiddling with the key /lock/panel to get you a good pic of the workings and there was a loud click....I dont know what moved but the door now shuts!!! Hurrah!...the WD40 I sprayed before Xmas must have worked its way through the cable to the latch and somehow its freed itself. The lock and door works better now than it ever has...

Thanks to all of you who replied to my SOS.... you have restored my faith in helpfulness...

Trundle can now again enjoy her retirement as my SunHouse a la "Georges small places" on Ch4...I have removed the tarpaulin she was under to keep out the rain

Thanks again for all your help!

Kind Regards

Trundle Lin
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Not a chance a screwdriver will shift those screws hence why I said you'll need a ratchet!

Glad it's sorted now though.