Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Painting the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 14-09-2009, 05:08 PM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the engine bay

I'm disgusted with the paint that my engine sits in. So at some point in the next month or so I'm going to tackle this. 3 door sierra

HVLP gun
Mig welder
Sandpaper
3M Scuff pads
Tape
Paper
Kerosene

So clean it up, scuff it down and squirt it. Easy right? What have you done? Did you remove the entire engine and move as much stuff out of the way such as wiring, brake pipes etc.? Or did you just mask everything off and just make it easy?

I'd like to weld up some of the silly assembly holes Ford left on there and make it smooth as well.

Did you just spray some basic high quality paint that matched your body or did you go full base coat clear with correct paint codes for the body as well?

I have time and this car isn't on the road yet, so removing the motor is not a big deal. Opinions?
Old 14-09-2009, 05:26 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pacwest
I'm disgusted with the paint that my engine sits in. So at some point in the next month or so I'm going to tackle this. 3 door sierra

HVLP gun
Mig welder
Sandpaper
3M Scuff pads
Tape
Paper
Kerosene

So clean it up, scuff it down and squirt it. Easy right? What have you done? Did you remove the entire engine and move as much stuff out of the way such as wiring, brake pipes etc.? Or did you just mask everything off and just make it easy?

I'd like to weld up some of the silly assembly holes Ford left on there and make it smooth as well.

Did you just spray some basic high quality paint that matched your body or did you go full base coat clear with correct paint codes for the body as well?

I have time and this car isn't on the road yet, so removing the motor is not a big deal. Opinions?
kerosene as in boiler oil???

engine out degrease bay, weld holes up,fill an sand ,mask up primer ,sand or wet an dry depending on the finish u want. depending on what colour ur car is ,either be base clear or solid colour ,
ps if you us same gun for the priming make sure you strip an clean it before top coat
Old 14-09-2009, 05:55 PM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

Kerosene. I think you guys call it paraffin. It's a great thinner/cleaner for grease removal that doesn't hurt electrics or rubber seals.
Old 14-09-2009, 06:01 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pacwest
Kerosene. I think you guys call it paraffin. It's a great thinner/cleaner for grease removal that doesn't hurt electrics or rubber seals.
ow ryt was gna say we use kerosene over hear in oil boilers for heating lol get u mean parafin now m8
Old 19-10-2009, 03:49 AM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

A bump for any pointers/help.