Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

1967 Lotus White Beetle Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 27-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Hezz
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you know all this stuff, amazing work!
Old 28-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hezz
how do you know all this stuff, amazing work!
Been restoring cars for 18 years now, Started my first one when I was 8, and bought my first beetle at 13. Many moons ago now.

Its a bit sad but I litterally know every nut/bolt/pin/washer on a beetle. Most stuff is just common sence you know, theres is always a way to do something and once youve found that out you then find there is always a better way of doing that. Its basically trial and error, if it dont work go back and start again.

I was shitting a brick last year when I rebuild the engine in the Aston Martin, but at the end of the day an engine is still an engine (albeit an expensive one)

Im still way below where I want to be, But I have got to a stage now where its my tools holding me back to go any further. I need to spend abuot £10k realistically on new and better tools and machineary to get to where I want to be.
Old 28-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Glass time

Little trick ive learnt is to put the rubbers in a bucket of boiling water, as they are a bastard to fit on the glass

Front

Now this is not the first time this has happened. The rear rubbers are all too small. Your supposed to stretch them a bit but this is just silly.
I phoned up my supplier to cross reference the part numbers and I have the correct number but obviously who ever packed the bag got the wrong ones.

These appear to be for a 1969 model (after 67 they made the glass fractionally smaller then in 70 went back to 67 size)

So Ive turned to the running boards. I love these things they are the most direct hint to the cars initial design back in 1938. Propper old skool.

These are the German ones, more expensive than brazillian ones, but thicker metal and a better fit, one thing ive learnt is its not always best to go for the cheapest product. So I now spend more money on better items like this, as it saves in the long run.
They come in the basic kit so you need to build them up, but its easy enough

It just shows how good this 67 is, It is only the 3rd beetle Ive done where all the bolt holes line up. These were a dream to fit to this car.

Old 28-11-2009, 11:40 AM
danny_boy699
chatter 4 life

havn't read this for a long time but it looks mint now lee
Old 28-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by danny_boy699
havn't read this for a long time but it looks mint now lee
Not quite mint yet, wait till the motors in and its slammed on them early porsche rims
Old 27-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Hello all, long time no see.

Im selling the project so thought id post an update and summary of the project, so you can see how its come together.

Appologies its a copy and paste from my add on a vw site, but hopefully youll enjoy the pics still.....................

Due to moving house I will shortly no longer have the space or time for all my cars and projects.

So this 67 has to go.
All the hard work has been done, Main components left to finish are refitting the wiring loom and finishing the interior. The rest is simple mechanics, hooking up the engine ancillaries and suspension parts like ball joints and brakes.
Car is refinished in Lotus White, probably the best 67 colour.
Fitted with all new rubbers, wing beading, headlining, new pressed number plates, aerial and galvanised/zinced bolts throughout. New running boards and Brand new wings all round.
As you may know this is a 'one year only' car with may unique features, and what is a great bonus is this car is the 1500, the gearbox everyone wants, and a rare item in itself.

I had a choice of engines 1500,1600 and 1300, and chose to install the 1300 as it was a low mile unit and has no end play or concerns with it what so ever. Heads have been off and its been treated to new gaskets, push rod seals etc. All tin ware has been sandblasted and powder coated 2 times. Engine was installed with a brand new clutch and thrust bearing, and also a 4 into 1 manifold and zoom exhaust tucked neatly away
Suspension is fairly low, 3 splines at rear.
Front suspension is fitted with brand new CB Performance 2.5" dropped spindles, and also married up with a pair of KYB shortened shocks. The beam on the car is useable but will want a little tlc, I would strongly advise welding in a pair of sway always. This will not really lower the car anymore, but will give back some of the suspension travel, as the shortened shocks are at full reach on the current beam set up.
I was going to install a brand new 'bare' lowered beam and fit all the hard wear on to this. These are about £190 from VW heritage I believe.
If you want to go up for a cal looker: no problem just re-click the rear up and fit some standard shocks on the front with the existing beam. And you will have a subtle 2.5" drop at the front.

This also brings me to my next point; the project was always destined for Porsche wheels, infact I bought the wheels before the car! It’s currently rolling on standard rims, and these are really only to move the car in the workshop (although all tyres are legal). If you want to run the existing steels you will need 2 very low profile 15"'s on the front, to gain clearance for steering.
The Porshce wheels in some of the pictures are GENUINE 1969 Fuchs from a 914, and are fully refurbished. A VERY RARE wheel!!!
I spent a long time searching for these, and I dare say are probably the only set for sale in the UK at the mo?
I’ve priced the car very reasonably, when you consider the work thats been done and the very good original condition of it, and its a 67 1500 box.

This is a perfect project for the first timer, or someone with only basic mechanical skills as all the hard work has been done.
Its also ideal for anyone who’s already done a few restorations and now realises its better to spend more on some thing that needs less work to start with. We’ve all been there....!
This car could be on the road in a matter of a few weekends, all major parts are here and complete, only purchases will be consumable items such as brake and suspension parts and minor details.
I think I’ve probably said enough now, and will let the pics do the talking.

Thanks all for you kind comments way back when I was doing a lot of restos. The 58 rag top beetle with scooby engine is also gona be going so please take a look at the resto thread also, sure is a fine car. will be updating that very soon.

regards
Old 27-06-2010, 09:27 PM
mike77cos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking great
Old 29-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by mike77cos
Looking great