Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

supercharged raw striker build

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2009, 02:04 AM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharged raw striker build

hi guys and girls, not been on here for a couple years as i haven't really had a toy to play with due to moving for work reasons and lack of garage space ect.
some people who have been on here for a long time may remember i used to knock around on here with my black cosworth powered westfield, well ive got to the point where i miss the car like crazy and want another bash at building something a little special. of course it has to be bigger and better than the previous car so here is what i have in mind.....

was offered a very good deal on a raw striker chassis, it is the race spec chassis which means it sits 70mm lower than the road going versions, the previous owner then took it along to pilbeam racing and had them rework all the suspension geometry which apparently improved things further. the car was running a hyabusa bike engine and a muffet rear diff so im going to need to make some fairly serious alterations to the chassis to fit the new engine and transmission.
the plan is that she will be getting a 2.0ltr duratec with a rotrex supercharger to take her to just over 400bhp, this will then be run through a quafe 6 speed sequential box into a 7" sierra rear diff fitted with a plate lsd.

this is how the car looked in its previous build spec with the busa engine fitted,

the new car is going to have the new style scuttle fitted as im not to keen on the angled alloy type one its got. here is the style its going to be, but it will be lower, wider and most probably black.

engine thats going to be fitted, and also the sort of instalation i have in mind...

but anyway...back to reality for a moment..and reality currently looks like this

only picked her up a few days ago and im under no illusions about how long this project is going to take me as im normally very busy so finding the time and the money to build this thing is going to be interesting. im aiming for a full build inside 2 years so please be patient with me, it'll be worth it in the end i promise

so here we go.. first job that i have started is to remove some chassis so a car engine will fit into it, this means some swift work with the disk cutter got a few hours on her tomorrow when il get my teeth into it a bit more but at the moment ive just taken the drivers tunnel back and removed the old scuttle tubes

will update as i go
Old 22-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Barry_GTi
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to build Rotrex Saxo's(6 years ago now!!) and ALWAYS wanted to put one in a kit car. You will LOVE the power delivery.

Subscribed to this thread!!
Old 22-02-2009, 04:59 PM
bigryrs
RSHoleinator

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

very interesting project mate i will be keeping an eye out for this
Old 22-02-2009, 11:18 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

todays updates,

borrowed an old development engine from the back of the workshop so i could do some trial fitment.

really wanted it get it so i can run a flat floor but doesn't look like it is going to happen means the engine will sit to high and tbh i want it as low as i can get it for weight reasons. unfortunately the budget nor space in the car will allow me to fit a dry sump so will have to do what i can.
other than the height issue everything else is looking fairly straight forward.

engine sits over to the passenger side to aid weight distribution, plus the car is so small i cant get it in the middle anyway as it encroaches on the pedal box....so thats lucky. lol

some pics of clearance around the engine...

need to move the passenger tunnel over an inch or so as its a little tight.

going to rotate the supercharger round 120 deg so that the inlet pipe comes out the side as i want to run an additional chassis brace across the top which means there is no room to route the pipe the way it was in the previous car. will be running a charge cooler rather that an intercooler so im thinking of mounting it behind the engine on the bulkhead to help make the boost pipe routing a little more straight forward.

once i figured out what needs to move engine came back out and started stripping all the alloy panels off to get the chassis ready for modification.

most of this will get removed to make way for the 7" diff

took off some redundant brackets, then removed the standard tunnel as it needs so many changes its just easier to cut it out and start again

and thats about all i had time for today. ordering up some steel on Monday so will start welding in some new sections soon as it turns up.
Old 23-02-2009, 10:13 AM
youngben
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

liking it mate
Old 23-02-2009, 02:05 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Good Luck, watching with Interest.
Old 23-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Zetecfiesta
PassionFord Post Whore!!

looks good, liking all of the cars in the background!
Old 23-02-2009, 03:36 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Zetecfiesta
looks good, liking all of the cars in the background!
give us a tenner and you can have the crappy tvr if you like. lol
Old 26-02-2009, 10:08 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

got some time on the car tonight, managed to finnish removing the raer of the tunnel and the old diff mounts. then got the main framework in for the new tunnel old one was pretty naff imo, was just sheet steel ontop at the front so the tunnel wasn't tied in properly which must have meant the torsional rigidity was nowhere near what it should be for this type of spaceframe.

anyway, now sorted used 1" box with a 1.5mm wall to strengthen things up a bit, also tied the new tunnel into the bulkhead properly and secured it to the second front bulkhead bar as well as the first one. will start putting some of the other braces in after the weekend as im kinda tied up till monday. but she's starting to look a little better now

Old 27-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Nice project and i like the engine.
Old 27-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 117 Likes on 109 Posts

Fantastic project
Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 AM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

managed to get a couple hours on the car last night. aiming to get a whole day over the weekend but just trying to clear all my little favor jobs out the way first so i can get into this properly

dropped the engine back in and started marking positions for engine and box mounts, also started adding some bracing to the chassis..

not much room at the front of the block now but it does just about fall into its hole

got the drivers side pedal box vertical back in and started triangulating the gearbox tunnel.

over the weekend i hope to get the diff mounted and most of the bracing around the standard chassis. but we will see what else pops up that i have to do.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Sweet. Good luck with rest of build
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 AM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

Looks interesting mate, good choice of engine

Can't wait to see the results
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
CraigoScott
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wow, good luck with the build, i wouldnt know where to begin with something like that!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

got some more done today,

got most of the diff mounting done

finished bracing the tunnel, included a rear vertical section to protect my legs incase the propshaft ever lets go, just need to add a small bar on the bottom of the tunnel under the front of the prop to catch it if the front uj ever lets go, seen a car catapult from the prop hitting the track and flipping the car and dont fancy having a go at that. lol

also removed the joggled side rail that used to go over the old exhaust system and put it back to a flat standard one as well as adding a couple small plate webs that will be used to mount the top engine stabilizer mounts.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

got some spare time this savo on my day off so went in to do a little bit more on the diff mounts,

got the second front mount welded in

started making the detachable bar to hold the bottom of the diff, need to be able to remove it else i cant actually get the diff in and out. lol

Old 26-04-2009, 10:56 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

not done an update in a while as ive been very busy doing stuff with work which has been spilling into my spare time...but was feeling a little guilty so decided to get some hours in on it this week.

finished off mounting the diff up. both the lowwer mount and rear brace mount are detachable otherwise i cant actually get the diff out if i need to. or should i say when i need to.

also need to turn the dummy engine into a show engine next week which means i loose the use of it hence why i kind of had to crack on while it was still available.

got the main engine mounts in....

top cross braces to stop it twisting off the lower mounts..

going to have to run more boost as the larger pulley wont currently clear the lower wishbone mount....more boost hey.....thats a shame

also had to get the pedal box case in. been putting this off for a while so nice to finally have it finished.

was easier to just cut the whole old one out.

then start remaking in 1.6mm steel sheet

you can see here why i have mounted the engine the way i have..i really dont want it moving very much with the clearance i have..

so currently starting to look a little bit like a car again if you close one eye and squint a little bit

next job is to sort out the steering column and then start thinking about making the actual pedal box.
Old 26-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice project
Old 26-04-2009, 11:06 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

i like it
Old 26-04-2009, 11:41 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

cheers guys glad you like it.
Old 27-04-2009, 09:37 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

small amount done tonight.

cut off the old steering column bar mounts and made some new recessed ones to allow for the new style scuttle

quick trial fit with a spare scuttle

a general check and thoughts session with the nose on so i can work out where i want to put my side pods when i make them

cut off the old exhaust mount and put a new one on the other side.

then had to have a quick pic to convince myself that it is a car and not just a oversize climbing frame

Old 27-04-2009, 10:33 PM
AustenW
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks a good project, any updates?
Old 27-04-2009, 10:40 PM
darren.cudd
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by AustenW
Looks a good project, any updates?

yes.........you just had it. lol

need bits for the steering column ect. but will prob wait till next weekend as me and the boss are off to the stonley kitcar show so i can probably find some bargains there
Old 28-04-2009, 04:34 AM
mariS
Regular Contributor

I love these toys. Great work.
Old 30-04-2009, 07:34 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice toy m8
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
loggyboy
Virgin

Sorry to dig this up, but did it ever get any further?