Pictures, video & Photoshop Forum If you want to show off your photoshop skills, share pics and videos of your car or other cars you've found, here's the place to go.

Tutorial - Car Colour Change (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
CosRush
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tutorial - Car Colour Change (UPDATED)

Having done this many many times for users of PF I thought i'd make a quick tutorial to allow people to experiment themselves with colour changes.
This is by no means the complete way to do it, there are several ways depending on the original bodywork colour and the colour to be changed to. for example changing black to anything else is difficult to get right and as such uses different methods.

I have now added a second tutorial showing another way to achieve this colour change.

This tutorial will however work for most cars. It does not show every single step but most of them. If anybody wishes to know more about any part of it, feel free to PM or Email.

Method 1

Step 1.

Start with a picture.

step 2
Right click on that layer and select duplicate layer (or press control and J)

step 3
Then select polygonal lasso and do a rough outline of the car only, but dont get too close to it. This will save some later in a later step.

step 4
Once you have done this goto, Image/adjustments/hue & saturation.
Click on Colourize. you can then alter that layer's colour using the Hue and saturation sliders.
When you have decided on a colour select OK.

step 5
This is what you should be left with

step 6
Now using the eraser, and using the zoom function remove all the outer section of colour that have gone beyond the bodywork.
Also remember to do the windows, lights, petrol caps,wing mirrors and trim etc etc.

step 7
you should then end up with this.

step 8
Then by returning to the hue & saturation option and selecting colourize again, you can now change the car neatly.

You may notice that the blue of the handles, petrol cap window seal etc comes through, this is not a problem. You can either chose not to erase it when carrying out step 6, or otherwise you can creat another layer and reduce saturation to 0, this will make them look dark grey.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2

Open the picture you wish to use.

Duplicate the layer to work on.

Goto Image/adjustments/replace colour

Move your mouse to the +icon (add to sample)

Click on it

Now you should get a wand, drag this over the bodywork of the car only on the coloured section in this case RED, avoid any of the other colours nearby such as black doorhandles, door creases etc.
Then when you've finished (dont worry about doing too much as you can add some more if you haven't done enough) goto the HUE slider and slide it either way and you will see all the red you highlighted change colour.
If some RED parts have not changed just go back over them with the wand and you should see them change again.

Here you can see how the colour change function alos changes the colours of all things RED in and around the image, in this case trees branched etc with red in them have also changed colour.

You can then just delete them either by highlighting them and selecting delete of using the eraser.

Once done you should have something like this

Note:
You may sometimes need to adjust the Fuzziness to get a clear colour change.

You are not limited to the HUE slider alone, you can also DESATURATE to create Greys and also use the Brightness slider to get anywhere from Black upto White.

I hope you find this helpful.
Old 27-02-2007, 10:32 AM
kenny_ka
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default ...

is there an easier way of gettin rid of all the colour round the edges, windoes, lights, fuel caps, wheel etc....
i havnt got a steady enuff hand with the rubber
Old 27-02-2007, 10:44 AM
CosRush
PassionFord Post Troll

Yes you could use the Polygonal lasso tool. Just trace the area and then select delete.

For example:

A car window -
Trace around the glass only with the lasso tool, then select delete will remove the added colour layer provided you have that layer highlighted.

you can also lasso around the whole car bodywork (remember you can use the Shift Key + to add more selections before deleting), once selected seletc Inverse which switches the highlighted arear to everything outside of what you highlighted, then use the delete key also.
This works if you create a new layer in a different colour, then using the above the whole of the bqackground is then removed.

The main thing to note is that the way I have shown you above is one way of doing it, it really depends if you are doing it for a living or just to see how something else looks (wheel/bodywork etc).

To be done very well takes some time.

The easiest way is perhaps to use the colour change option.
Just highlight the bodywork for example with the +wand then goto the hue settings and move the slider, you may or may not need to add or subtract some of the colours depending on the result you see. this is a little bit more complex to get right as it depends on the whole picture i.e. the same colours in the background will change too.

Hope that helps.

***Edited***

I may do a tutorial when I get a chance of the Colour Change option.
Old 27-02-2007, 08:42 PM
donny murdo

An excellent tutorial good advice mate, allways helping I have asked you about things a few times and you reply with a helpful answer, you are a diamond thanks
Old 28-02-2007, 11:22 AM
CosRush
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by donny murdo
An excellent tutorial good advice mate, allways helping I have asked you about things a few times and you reply with a helpful answer, you are a diamond thanks
Thanks Donny Nice to see my work is appreciated

You'll see ive updated the above.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
kenny_ka

Default ..

nice one cheers mate
Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Sukhy RS
LFC

Nice one Cosrush
Old 26-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Brilliant guide that
Old 25-04-2007, 11:18 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Cadetsharp

What about cleaning up rust spots and primer? Is there non-tedious way to do that?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 AM
johnswhite
Virgin

Hi...
Thanks alot for providing all information.. The Methods which you share with all just to good... I am looking for always this type of innovative work.... Thanks for sharing the post...
Old 19-02-2010, 06:20 AM
jimmie298
BANNED
BANNED

Changing of car colors increases the looks of the car.
Old 21-04-2010, 11:15 PM
CoupeUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by shen261987
An STD is a serious illness that requires treatment. An STD like AIDS, cannot be cured and are deadly. If you are looking for an effective STD Testing or STD HIV testing you can call us at 888-338-9831. or visit our site http://getstdtestedhere.com/fm-2/
WTF??