Motorcycle Chat & Sales We do fast cars and fast bikes. Keep the bike chat and adverts in here please folks!

#### Drifting a bike and "backing it in" to corner

Search this Thread

Old 17-09-2005 | 07:46 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default #### Drifting a bike and "backing it in" to corner

Manage my first "drift" on Thurs night in torrential rain I exited a diesel covered roundabout, stood it upright and opened the throttle, revs soared and I was steering left for the right hander I kept the throttle where it was and as it came back I neatly took the left hander exit turn Now Im no riding god but this felt amazing!!!!

Can anybody do this on purpose in the dry (Rossi need not reply to this) and if so how hard is it at higher speed to get right??

And tonight leaving my mates street I back off top end 1st and the back end came round, I was immediately on full lock and dipped the clutch to bring it back in line, dropped clutch again but wheel was still locking up, ran wide just managing to avoid the kurb and continued my ride home. I like the idea of motorcross style riding, this brought back happy days of downhill MTB racing

Maybe I could buy a crosser and practice Hmmm
Old 17-09-2005 | 07:49 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Note to myself:

Purchase new rear tyre to avoid this in the future and get the grabbing clutch serviced/replaced ... OR... ???
Old 17-09-2005 | 10:23 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have a tendency to back the bike into corners as I'm very aggressive down the box.

Only time I've deliberately provoked the back end coming out of corners was on my blade, riding home from the pub after a summer shower.

Beer makes me brave....lol
Old 23-09-2005 | 04:50 PM
JBcos
PassionFord Post Troll

had the backwheel spinning and drift out twice lately just from being aggressive coming out of a few roundabouts, 1st one was with my knee down, kept my bottle and held it out there

Oh and it looks foooookin awsome too
Old 13-10-2005 | 09:31 PM
stusfesta
PassionFord Regular

ive only done it in the wet, its the bollox, bit scared of high siding in the dry though!
Old 14-10-2005 | 11:43 AM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

done it in the wet on my 400 pulling away from some traffic lights, absolutely shit my pants lol

Also done it changing down the box too aggressively, feels good though
Old 26-10-2005 | 02:59 PM
James2wd
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by JBcos
had the backwheel spinning and drift out twice lately just from being aggressive coming out of a few roundabouts, 1st one was with my knee down, kept my bottle and held it out there

Oh and it looks foooookin awsome too
ahahaha, what a load of bollocks.

If you can do that you need to get onto a bsb bike and prove your worth. I know alot of club racers that would love to be able to do that.

To spin the rear up takes either, very poor throttle control or pure stupidity and no feel for what the bikes doing.

Trending Topics

Old 26-10-2005 | 03:01 PM
James2wd
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Default Re: #### Drifting a bike and "backing it in" to co

Originally Posted by Mr C
Manage my first "drift" on Thurs night in torrential rain I exited a diesel covered roundabout, stood it upright and opened the throttle, revs soared and I was steering left for the right hander I kept the throttle where it was and as it came back I neatly took the left hander exit turn Now Im no riding god but this felt amazing!!!!

Can anybody do this on purpose in the dry (Rossi need not reply to this) and if so how hard is it at higher speed to get right??

And tonight leaving my mates street I back off top end 1st and the back end came round, I was immediately on full lock and dipped the clutch to bring it back in line, dropped clutch again but wheel was still locking up, ran wide just managing to avoid the kurb and continued my ride home. I like the idea of motorcross style riding, this brought back happy days of downhill MTB racing

Maybe I could buy a crosser and practice Hmmm
first, diesel is a cnut.

Seecond, to stop the rear locking up, stop fecking about in first gear and change to second. Its the compression of the engine spinning thats locking the wheel. great for showing off, not so great for getting round corners.
Old 28-10-2005 | 09:31 PM
Cossiep
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Just reading this thread I cannot BELIEVE people's over inflated opinions of their abilities and total lack of respect for riding a modern motorcycle I'm an advanced instructor and ride in all weathers over 25,000 miles every year. I see tens upon tens of new AND experienced bikers messing things up on the road, some live to tell the tale some unfortunately DON'T. If all you bad boys could consistently ''back/ drift'' a bike around corners with any consistency you would all be making a living in racing and not bragging about some half arsed bullshit on this forum. If you do it accidently whilst on the road - your riding needs looking at, if you try to promote such activities to other people in a bid to sound cool - YOU ARE A GRADE ''A ''BELLEND !!!
Old 28-10-2005 | 09:42 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yawn, get over yourself

Wanna race.

Old 30-10-2005 | 11:06 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cossiep
Just reading this thread I cannot BELIEVE people's over inflated opinions of their abilities and total lack of respect for riding a modern motorcycle I'm an advanced instructor and ride in all weathers over 25,000 miles every year. I see tens upon tens of new AND experienced bikers messing things up on the road, some live to tell the tale some unfortunately DON'T. If all you bad boys could consistently ''back/ drift'' a bike around corners with any consistency you would all be making a living in racing and not bragging about some half arsed bullshit on this forum. If you do it accidently whilst on the road - your riding needs looking at, if you try to promote such activities to other people in a bid to sound cool - YOU ARE A GRADE ''A ''BELLEND !!!
So please put me in one of the above categories then, what was it i said I did that you didnt like, I never said I had brilliant abilities, I never said I had a modern motorcycle, I never said I could consistantly back it in, I dont do half arsed/ full arsed or any kind of bullshit (saying that takes the piss coming from someone who doesnt know me, one thing for sure is I dont need to bullshit, I would rather keep my mouth shut than look a twat so you got that wrong too) It was accidental, diesel on the road, EVEN YOU CANT PREDICT DIESEL OFF ROUND ABOUTS IN THE RAIN WHEN ALREADY COMMITTED TO AN EXIT and I didnt promote the above acts, recommend anybody tried it now or ever, I am already COOL so no need

Thanks for letting us know you are an advanced instructor, do you enjoy riding, where is the enjoyment in it for you? I guess its not getting to know the bike, you must never have had a moment then EVER? I take this as a telling off... MUM, and will recommend you dont read my posts about wheelies, endos, skids, drifting my cossie (on purpose too errr) hand brake turns etc etc etc
Old 30-10-2005 | 11:14 AM
akito-man
PassionFord Post Troll

From: fee,fife,foe,fumb,i smell the blood of an englishman ,in scotland!

aha! the famous advanced rider bollox,some of your stuff works ok,but the best way is through experience,fook,when you wiped your arse as a kid for the first time and got shit on your hand ,you never the next time,
if freddys gonna spin his rear on a bend ,let him ,if he crashes "which he soon will",hes found SOME limits,and hell learn,why dont you juss tell him to save it for the track?
the next thread you read will be ,"smashed ma bike ,backing it in,two broken legs etc",but now youl say,"aye! if hes still alive".

thats life. personnally mate,if your trying to back in your bike on the road,make sure you check conditions,spining it out of a corner,well ,more fool you,! it will end in tears!

dont join the police wanabees,there just new age preachers of their type of riding.
ask yourself,where were they when you learnt to ride ,and why arent their techniques used in the tests?