Motorcycle Chat & Sales We do fast cars and fast bikes. Keep the bike chat and adverts in here please folks!

Yamaha R6 As A First Bike... Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 22-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha R6 As A First Bike... Bad Idea?

Well, I wan't a Motorbike and within the next 12 months I'll be able to afford one. I'll be much better healthwise and will be doing college full time, and as much as I've been advised a motorbike is a bad idea, I'll always feel like there's something missing if I don't. Cars are fun, but when I went to the 'Ring and every other person had a bike, I felt left out. When the bikes are parading locally, I can watch them for hours.

I've always liked bikes from being a Child, and I am responsible in the car, having two accidents in five years I've had my license, neither of them my fault.

My Dad's friend told me to start on a scooter, and the idea of this makes me wan't to throw up. A scooter to me isn't a bike, more an annoying blender with wheels and I'd never want to ride it, meaning I'd never gain experience. Surely if I bought an R6, and I only drove it slowly, it'd be the same? Only with a much better bike! Just because it can go really fast, doesn't mean it has too?

Benni.
Old 22-06-2009, 07:31 AM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Great fun mate but you would last 5 mins
Old 22-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Don't you have problems with your hip or some shit and some kind of motability car? Surely people who can read bikes should no longer get motability etc?

Think of me as a cunt if you so wish for saying that, I'm just speaking my mind
Old 22-06-2009, 07:46 AM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Old 22-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
Don't you have problems with your hip or some shit and some kind of motability car? Surely people who can read bikes should no longer get motability etc?

Think of me as a cunt if you so wish for saying that, I'm just speaking my mind
The first site of many, many which completely contradicts your ignorance. And I quote:

KLIKTRONIC�S electric shifter, paddle shift, sequential shift, quickshifter and flatshifter systems provides an ultra fast and reliable gearchange which simply cannot be matched by foot or hand changes. These systems are perfect for disabled bike adaptations and disabled motorcycle customizations.
http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

Benni.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

There's even an association. LOL!

http://www.thedma.org.uk/

Benni.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Originally Posted by Benni
The first site of many, many which completely contradicts your ignorance. And I quote:

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

Benni.
It doesn't contradict my statement at all and my point has nothing to do with gear changes which only really require ankle movement without modifications

My issue is with your basic maneouvering of the bike, placing the bike on the stand, and ensuring stability of the bike in traffic.

My question was a genuine one and I believe your reply demonstrates you misconstrued it.

Don't feel hard done by babe.

Trending Topics

Old 22-06-2009, 09:40 AM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Have u done ur bike test, I did mine last xmas, as i thought id get it out the way due to the new test that was forming. My friend is doing his tests this month, has to wait a week between the two just incase he fails the 1st test.

As for bikes everyones got their own opinions. I was going to get a bandit 600, but then I saw that 1200s were going for almost same price, then I saw streetfightered r1's. My mate had an r1 as a first bike then he bought a 2008 repsol Fireblade. Its all about respecting the ride. People say ooh tooo powerful you'll kill yourself, its nonsense. Its all about confidence and not riding like a twat. In my opinion an r6 is the ideal bike.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:48 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you not be better from a more upright riding position Benni? Surely if you have hip troubles or whatever it is mate then being folded up on something like an R6 would be uncomfortable for you?? Just a thought.
Old 22-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
It doesn't contradict my statement at all and my point has nothing to do with gear changes which only really require ankle movement without modifications

My issue is with your basic maneouvering of the bike, placing the bike on the stand, and ensuring stability of the bike in traffic.

My question was a genuine one and I believe your reply demonstrates you misconstrued it.

Don't feel hard done by babe.
Well then your first reply should have been more constructful, a little like your second one. Instead of basically saying 'People who ride bikes, shouldn't get Motability cars'. Which is complete and utter nonsense. Thanks for your concern, sugar. I've never done a bike test no, I've never sat on a bike in my life as it happens. Always wanted too though.

I am going to go to the bike shop, and see if I can sit on one and see how it feels.

Benni.
Old 22-06-2009, 10:06 AM
dreamer
PassionFord Regular

Its not about power with these bikes, thety're race reps with very twitchy throttles

An xj6 will have the same(detuned) engine but much more forgiving to learn on
Old 22-06-2009, 05:42 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

If you've never even sat on a bike then any racing style bike won't be an ideal learner bike imo, especially if you have mobility problems mate. A smaller 'sit up and beg' style bike would be more suitable for you to start on i'd have thought, just to get to grips with being on a bike and making you aware of your surroundings etc, pleny of time for an R6 or similar, may well put you off buying one straightaway as your first bike and if you dropped it you'd be heartbroken!
Old 22-06-2009, 05:47 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Squeezing the throttle on a superbike is a totally different proposition to a car. You only have to gently squeeze it for the engine to roar, as I found out on an R1. Totally different to a car throttle. Also won't insurance be a killer on an R6 as a first bike and isn't there like something that doesn't allow you to ride mental bikes till you've had your licence for a set period of time?
Old 22-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by rstdave
If you've never even sat on a bike then any racing style bike won't be an ideal learner bike imo, especially if you have mobility problems mate. A smaller 'sit up and beg' style bike would be more suitable for you to start on i'd have thought, just to get to grips with being on a bike and making you aware of your surroundings etc, pleny of time for an R6 or similar, may well put you off buying one straightaway as your first bike and if you dropped it you'd be heartbroken!
I am off to find a bike dealership tomorrow, will see how I get on.

Benni.
Old 22-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Insurance might be a problem, but I am over 21 so think I can have a bike of choice.
Old 22-06-2009, 06:45 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Fair enough mate, hope you can get something that suits you. Top of my list of things to do when I move out is get a bike licence. As long as I am living with my parents, that's a no go unfortunately
Old 22-06-2009, 07:17 PM
L7 KOS
Regular Contributor

I were gonna go r6 for firdt bike but decided a 750 would be a better option.....and it is.

Depends how quickly you wanna go mate
Old 22-06-2009, 07:51 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nothing wrong with an R6 mate as a first bike in my opinion. It all depends on how sensible you are and how you respect the power you have. Learn bit by bit, and restrict yourself to a certain amount of revs until your confident and competant enough to open it up properly. Dont ride beyond your limits and youll be fine.

If you dont resepct the bike and go around showing off with jeans and trainers on, then it wont matter what bike you have, a 250, a 400, bandit, R6, R1, GSXR, then its only going to end one way in my opinion.

I had a gixer 600 as my first bike, and it was fine and more than enough for my first year. In fact, truth be known, you never need anything quicker than a 600 on the road, unless your one of these straight line buuuur buuur buuuuuuuuur hero's.

Not sure on your personal circumstances mate, but as a few have mentioned above, if you have a hip issue or something similar, it may very well be a good idea to go for a more upright bike as mentioned. Most people ache after a while on sports bikes after going on long-ish runs. In fact i my leg cramped up on a fast right hander the other day and i almost shit a brick and had to pull over and sprawl out on the grass at the side of the road. It felt like id been shot!
Old 22-06-2009, 08:12 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Another thing I forgot to mention is that when I sat on the R1, your arse is actually quite a way back from the handle bars and you really are folded about 50-60 degrees forwards. Didn't come as entirely comfortable to me.
Old 22-06-2009, 08:43 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Its up to yourself mate, your cash remember

People tell you to be sensible, carefull, slow and all that kind of stuff but only you will be able to tell how comfortable you feel, wether your flat out or toodling alond the dual carrage way

No doubt bikes are very fast, so if you end up in bother its also very fast, you dont get much time to correct things like a car, you need to be quite fit and have a "fair" amount of strength and good balance together with composure. if you have a disability then you need to take these factors in, you may be better with a more relaxed bike than a fully focused sports bike

Best of luck
Old 22-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why are you all replying to him, the day he gets a bike is the day i turn into a turnip
Old 24-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Why are you all replying to him, the day he gets a bike is the day i turn into a turnip
Why did you even reply then? If I wan't a bike next year I will own one, it's as simple as that. Cunt.

Benni.
Old 24-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

All you do is waffle and talk bollox. Cunt
Old 24-06-2009, 04:22 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 24-06-2009, 05:49 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Hand bags at dawn
Old 24-06-2009, 08:02 PM
seans saff
Regular Contributor

if you have rode a bike with gears before a r6 is a great 1st bike i had a few moto x bikes then a r6 for my 1st road bike had it 2 years then got a zx636r
Old 24-06-2009, 08:12 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not wanting to be called a cunt but I thought the same
Old 24-06-2009, 08:17 PM
CarbonRick
PF Village Idiot

Very interesting I would also like to do my test, get a bike etc, and I particularly like the idea of an R6 (I'd look silly on an R1 as I'm not tall or broad).
Some useful points.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

My mate just went out and brought a 58 plate, Ninja 600 never ridden a bike in his life....doing ok so far......
Old 24-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rbg
Very interesting I would also like to do my test, get a bike etc, and I particularly like the idea of an R6 (I'd look silly on an R1 as I'm not tall or broad).
Some useful points.
I'm tall and broad and me mates say i look silly on my r1. Just case the engine size is bigger dont mean the bike is massivly bigger as the idea of a sports bike is to be small light and nimble.
Old 25-06-2009, 03:53 AM
CarbonRick
PF Village Idiot

I'm tall and broad and me mates say i look silly on my r1. Just case the engine size is bigger dont mean the bike is massivly bigger as the idea of a sports bike is to be small light and nimble.
Its actually not other peoples perceptions I'm fussed about. They are noticably bigger, and I felt stupid on R1, R6 felt lush! Personal preference I guess. They're the only 2 bikes I really like, I'd never wanna change.

(I know, I know, I say that now....)
Old 25-06-2009, 04:32 AM
AndyR1
PassionFord Regular

as a first bike in the 600s i would go for a cbr600 as they ride very well and feel good on the road , the r6 does not give the same feel on the road and is very twitchy and look good and some more riding experience would be good first,
Old 25-06-2009, 09:19 AM
baker p
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Go for it benni lad....
You will be fine unless your an idiot and just jump on it thinking your rossi.
Ive just sold my second 07 r6 for a gixxer 750. The r6 is great and looks awesome but the riding position is a bit extreme .
The gixxer is a bit easier on the back bone
Old 25-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rbg
Its actually not other peoples perceptions I'm fussed about. They are noticably bigger, and I felt stupid on R1, R6 felt lush! Personal preference I guess. They're the only 2 bikes I really like, I'd never wanna change.

(I know, I know, I say that now....)
Might just be because i'm massive that i dont notice that much of a difference
Old 25-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pani_k
Squeezing the throttle on a superbike is a totally different proposition to a car. You only have to gently squeeze it for the engine to roar, as I found out on an R1. Totally different to a car throttle.
err no it's not.

Oh sorry it IS totally different, stand on one, twist the other with your hand
Old 25-06-2009, 03:04 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by Lambchop
err no it's not.

Oh sorry it IS totally different, stand on one, twist the other with your hand
Yes, sorry I forgot about that, thanks for pointing that out

The R1 throttle was very twitchy and very sensitive and you only need a gentle squeeze on that to make the damn thing roar like thunder. Car throttles aren't so aggressive I don't think.
Old 25-06-2009, 03:13 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by pani_k
Yes, sorry I forgot about that, thanks for pointing that out

The R1 throttle was very twitchy and very sensitive and you only need a gentle squeeze on that to make the damn thing roar like thunder. Car throttles aren't so aggressive I don't think.
You've never driven a punchy V8 then. My friends trans-am (before he stuck a huge turbo on it) was twitchy has hell, twin holly 4-barrel carbs. The throttle response was awesome. But if your compairing your Focus to an R1 then I can see what your getting at.

Last edited by lead_foot; 25-06-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 25-06-2009, 03:40 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by lead_foot
You've never driven a punchy V8 then. My friends trans-am (before he stuck a huge turbo on it) was twitchy has hell, twin holly 4-barrel carbs. The throttle response was awesome. But if your compairing your Focus to an R1 then I can see what your getting at.
Yes that is correct!

Punchiest thing I ever had the pleasure of having control of the throttle was an M3 which to be fair was pretty jumpy in comparison to my focus.
Old 26-06-2009, 06:57 PM
steveo135
PassionFord Regular

Default bike

Hi bud, dont know if this helps but, ive just got a 1 owner gsxr 600 on a 53 plate only done a staggering five hundred miles.
guy bought it new moved away put it in storage, made him offer of 2500 and he said yeah. good bike but as others have said very tucked in type low down bike if that makes sense, so go and test afew. but at the price i got it at couldnt really turn it down.
steve
Old 27-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a GSXR 750 as my first bike, my mate bought a blade and my other work mate bought an R1 as his, none of us have died, - you dont have to use all the power all the timeyou can be killed at 30mph on anything. obviously if you struggle with self control I recommend doing track days only as you wont last long on the road riding like a tit

Quick Reply: Yamaha R6 As A First Bike... Bad Idea?