General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Water cooled turbos

Search this Thread

Old 17-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts
Default Water cooled turbos

ive noticed in sum pics that people dont connect them to water system why is this and dont it harm them

cheers jay
Old 17-01-2006, 04:34 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if you got it use it!
Old 17-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People do that to minimise the tempeature on the way back to the engine.

Turbo lives longer with it connected.

I would connect it, and if you are still worried about return temps, fit a heater matrix rad or similar after the turbo before the return.
Old 17-01-2006, 04:38 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I recently read (like yesterday) that turbos are watercooled to help the cooling down process so you dont have to wait in the car after a rag...though never heard it before
Old 17-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Jay, on a seperate note, bit busy at work for chatting on the phone at the moment pal, will call you later.
Old 17-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by XRT_si
I recently read (like yesterday) that turbos are watercooled to help the cooling down process so you dont have to wait in the car after a rag...though never heard it before
They might help keep them cooler, but I wouldn't switch off straight away after ragging it or your turbo could still be spinning at 100 000rpm+ with no oil pressure or flow
Old 17-01-2006, 04:48 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Fast Guy
Originally Posted by XRT_si
They might help keep them cooler, but I wouldn't switch off straight away after ragging it or your turbo could still be spinning at 100 000rpm+ with no oil pressure or flow
its not the RPM of the turbo you are worried about,,,its the temp of the core and the oil which is sat in it! turbos slow down just asfast as they speed up (well nearly)

Jay, on a seperate note, bit busy at work for chatting on the phone at the moment pal, will call you later.
i think we should start a new topic,,, guess jays phone bill
Old 17-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by GARETH T

i think we should start a new topic,,, guess jays phone bill

cheeky git lol

cheers for the replies

jay
Old 17-01-2006, 08:53 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

i purposesly change my cores to oil only cores simply because of it being such a CRAP idea to have water running through a core with nearly 400 deg c

kettle boiled anyone
Old 17-01-2006, 08:59 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont run water on my T4 and the car runs much cooler
Old 17-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SECS
I dont run water on my T4 and the car runs much cooler
simon is ur t4 designed to run without water or have u just not plumbed it in

cheers jay
Old 17-01-2006, 09:07 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

It has water ports on it that are not and have never been connected.
(I got the turbo second hand only 6 months old)

I do warm up the turbo and cool it down properly though by driving
off boost gently for the last few miles or so on a journey.

Besides, on my engine it isnt working as hard as it was designed to do.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Butch.
PassionFord Post Troll

i spoke to a company that makes turbo's and they said that the water cooling is only there from the factory to help them cool down when theyve been switched off as water absorbs the heat from the metal

not saying there right but thats what they said to me

we've had loads of cars come in without water running though them and they have been fine.........
Old 17-01-2006, 09:47 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I posted this up before mate , the general reply`s were if it has it , keep it , as it pro-longs the life of the turbo

Old 17-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Kelv
Almost there!

i also run my turbo non water cooled!
Old 17-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget folks, if you're running a ball bearing core as found on many turbos such as the Garret GT range you MUST run water cooling else its Goodbye turbo!!

Traditional journal bearing turbos such as the garret T series can run without water cooling provided you run both a good quality oil and allow the turbo to cool down after a good beating. Failure to do this will cause the thrust bearing to self destruct literally (due to excessive heat and poor oil)!
Old 17-01-2006, 10:11 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Whats the reason for people not running it ? If there turbo has the ability too
Old 17-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

People seem to take it off because they think their engine runs much cooler without it.

If that is the case it simply highlights that their cooling system is in dire need of help!!! If people honestly think that water returning though a -6 pipe (8mm in laymans) to the header tank has a large effect on engine running temp they really do have radiator issues!!!! (i.e. fooked radiator syndrome)

In racing applications it is often removed as it is seen as another soucre of unecessary leaks NOT because it causes hot running!!!!
Old 17-01-2006, 10:32 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Karl
People seem to take it off because they think their engine runs much cooler without it.

If that is the case it simply highlights that their cooling system is in dire need of help!!! If people honestly think that water returning though a -6 pipe (8mm in laymans) to the header tank has a large effect on engine running temp they really do have radiator issues!!!! (i.e. fooked radiator syndrome)

In racing applications it is often removed as it is seen as another soucre of unecessary leaks NOT because it causes hot running!!!!
i have no reason to require steam in m y cooling system whatsoever

and it does make the car run cooler by means of stability in the cooling system. when the car is running at normal road type use the turbo core is no hotter than the oil/water running through it, when under competition conditions on a 10 mile stage for instance the core will run at a temp way higher than any water system can possibly handle and therefore any water being fed into the hot core will instantly change matter. thus giving a vapour lock straight to the header tank NICE
Old 17-01-2006, 10:37 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by markk

i have no reason to require steam in m y cooling system whatsoever

and it does make the car run cooler by means of stability in the cooling system. when the car is running at normal road type use the turbo core is no hotter than the oil/water running through it, when under competition conditions on a 10 mile stage for instance the core will run at a temp way higher than any water system can possibly handle and therefore any water being fed into the hot core will instantly change matter. thus giving a vapour lock straight to the header tank NICE
Therefore if the car is used for racing purposes dont use it, otherwise do
Old 17-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Well we will have to agree to disagree mark. On our hill climb car which runs a T34 at its maximum boost (no restrictor for us) we monitor water temps returning from the turbo and I can assure you it is not at boiling point!!!

In addition without this water cooling we cannot even complete a days racing without destroying the thrust bearing! (It literally melts with heat!)

This is with an high flow oil feed to the turbo so we have eliminated any lubrication issues so for us water cooling is essential!!
Old 17-01-2006, 10:51 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Well we will have to agree to disagree mark. On our hill climb car which runs a T34 at its maximum boost (no restrictor for us) we monitor water temps returning from the turbo and I can assure you it is not at boiling point!!!

In addition without this water cooling we cannot even complete a days racing without destroying the thrust bearing! (It literally melts with heat!)

This is with an high flow oil feed to the turbo so we have eliminated any lubrication issues so for us water cooling is essential!!
strange how differing forms of the same sport affect the same turbo unit (almost) in different ways. if i use antilag the water is litterally steam from the turbo, and i too was eating thusts at a rate of 50 miles each, hence i had to change to an oil cooled core v water/oil to gain the extra capacity for the oil and prevent the water from becoming steam
Old 17-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

I think its pointless TBH, big boost will kill it quicker than no water cooling will, as long as u let the car cool down properly.

Even in the blinkered world of 200SXs most have realised they may as well run the turbos water cooled.

A lot of the drift guys run BB turbos with no water cooling too Thought that was a baaaad idea, and i wouldnt, but theyve had no issues yet.
Old 17-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Mark I dare say the water flow rate though the turbo probably makes the difference! We use a larger water impellor on a 2wd water pump setup and whilst i can't give you exact flow rate figures I suspect that the water is not in the turbo core long enough to boil on our setup but on yours it is!.
Old 17-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

one of my water pipes on my t4 fractured about 4 years ago so i just did away with the water cooling, seems fine
Old 17-01-2006, 11:32 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Mark I dare say the water flow rate though the turbo probably makes the difference! We use a larger water impellor on a 2wd water pump setup and whilst i can't give you exact flow rate figures I suspect that the water is not in the turbo core long enough to boil on our setup but on yours it is!.
yeh probably , makes sence
Old 17-01-2006, 11:36 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by Kevin Sharp
one of my water pipes on my t4 fractured about 4 years ago so i just did away with the water cooling, seems fine
similar thing with mine tbh, i just couldn't get the fitting to seal, was so awkward to get at and in the end i did away with it. i don't see any plus side and the only down side is i tend to leave the car running longer to let the core cool off,

on a road car i'd say if you have it and it's working fine then keep it, maybe even fit a turbo rad?
Old 18-01-2006, 05:26 AM
MARCOSWORTH
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do people use an oil-cooler when they don't use a watercooled turbo?
Old 18-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

well thanks everyone so really theres no nead to do this dont fancy coughin up for a rebuilt turbo every 50 miles lol

cheers jay