General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

OMG AM I CHEESED OFF!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 PM
ozcos
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reminding me of one of the many reasons i left the f....d up UK

And the government wonder why anyone qualified is bailing out on the place
All they are going to be left with is illegals and the like milking the hard working tax payers.

F.....g gov.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i never cary any docs...............last time i did that the car got stolen with all the fookin docs
Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 PM
XR4Timan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Ryan_Belfast
Wont be long before they put the car on the system and pull you over then Timan
I *highly* doubt it, especially since the plates were registered to someone else and I have left the UK for 3 years plus!!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:19 AM
digita1dragon
Advanced PassionFord User

My insurance docs say explicitly NOT to carry them in the car. Although Im pretty sure its a "legal requirement"
Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i crashed on friday nite the fella i hit said where your insurance docs. i was like i dont have to have them with me im not stupid and he said you have to. i had my licence on me for a change but thats all. i dont wanna loose my documents or have them stolen with or with the car tbh. so there all safe somewhere
Old 11-01-2006, 06:20 AM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by M Brian
Originally Posted by warleydaddy
Originally Posted by the youth
the registered keeper on the V5c may not be the legal owner, you have already said it's your car, your name not being on the V5c doesn't matter so technically it was not insured so think your self lucky!!!
Steve
How you work that mate???The car isnt in my name yet???So that means the fully comp off the cossie,means im insured to drive the car?!?!?

Pete...
pete I put money on your insurance policy saying something like insured to drive other cars not 'owned' by yourself....

nothing about it being in your name.

if youve paid for it and the car belongs to you then 'technically' you now own the car and have NO insurance in it.
Yes Melv,your right....BUT read what i have posted....The car DOESNT belong to me yet....Im just gettin it MOT`d for a friend,then IF it passes,i will by it,but i havnt yet,so the car is in no way on record,AND IN WRITING my car!!!! Thats what i was trying to the the copper...Hence why i was so wound up....

Pete...
Old 11-01-2006, 06:32 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by Matt
Originally Posted by the youth
the registered keeper on the V5c may not be the legal owner, you have already said it's your car, your name not being on the V5c doesn't matter so technically it was not insured so think your self lucky!!!
Steve
How you work that mate???The car isnt in my name yet???So that means the fully comp off the cossie,means im insured to drive the car?!?!?

Pete...
pete I put money on your insurance policy saying something like insured to drive other cars not 'owned' by yourself....
...AND ALREADY INSURED ELSEWHERE!
Matt is correct. Your insurance will allow you to drive another car if it states you can BUT only if that car is currently insured by the owner.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Matt is correct. Your insurance will allow you to drive another car if it states you can BUT only if that car is currently insured by the owner.
who says?

It says NO WHERE on any documents I have that this is the case.
My documents say I am insured to drive another persons vehicle.

Pete, Agreed mate, Can't believe they took it off you no matter who the car belonged to, but even worse it wasn't your own. what if the person needed the car for work, were going away on holiday etc etc etc

fook me next theyll be going round tesco car park swiping cars cos they arent showing as insured on the records.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I pity the fool that try's to take my car

Police or not.

I've still got an old paper license
Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Two things strike me here.

1. If we all carry our documents around with us doesn't that make it all the easier for someone who's stolen your car?

2. Does this mean if I do the same as warleydaddy I can earn Ł13 a day per car I can get the police to impound?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Re: OMG AM I PISSED OFF!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive picked up a car last night,that im going to use for a run around..So took it to work today to get it mot`d (3days left) then if it passes the mot i wil buy it..
Pete very grey area really, you say you picked it up that "sort of means" you are saying "it's yours" you then say if it passes you will buy it, so that means it's not yours yet!!!

if you haven't took ownership yet then you were ok bar the grey area matt has mentioned ( I know of that rule but the paperwork doesn't say it has to be insured by someone else before you policy will cover it.)

so I think you were ok...just!!

if you took ownership of the car then you were very lucky!!

steve
Old 11-01-2006, 06:27 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hows this for a grey area....

ive just been to get a hire car and taken an insurance cert and declared my own insurance on it.

underdescription of the vehicle it says....

any motor vehicle the property of the policy holder or in their care, custody or control?

policy holder is my company.

guy in in hire place said it was unusal as doesnt usually say control on it as that could basically cover anything? weird eh
Old 11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hows this for a grey area....

ive just been to get a hire car and taken an insurance cert and declared my own insurance on it.

underdescription of the vehicle it says....

any motor vehicle the property of the policy holder or in their care, custody or control?

policy holder is my company.

guy in in hire place said it was unusal as doesnt usually say control on it as that could basically cover anything? weird eh
Is that a trade policy? Standard wording, was on all my trade policies.

Just means any motor vehicle you're driving.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its company policy...

im a company driver/employee

so yeah essentially is a trade policy - but just a bit weird, as does it mean im effectively covered in any vehicle by law?

mind you id probably get sacked for gross misconduct if ever I asked fleet for a copy of the insurance document cos id had a produce on my own personal car lol
Old 11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Without seeing the policy, as long as you are a named driver then it sounds like it.

May well be a clause for business use only or if you are not named it will be with the policyholders permission I expect.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsmeagain
I NEVER EVER carry around my docs with me
I don't know anybody that does mate.

Had a copper tell me to leave my documents in the glovebox so I could produce at the roadside I asked what happened if my car got stolen, the theif would have all my documents if he were stopped. The copper bollocked me for being a smart arse and giving back chat. SOme of these coppers are beyond fucking pathetic
Old 11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ah yeah with policy holders permission sorts it.

fleet manager gave it to me and sorted out the car, so no doubt made a record therefore giving the permission.

I just thought it was weird thats all.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
jaimesdna

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my insurance states i can drive any other car not owned by me, it dosen't say anything about that car haveing to be insured by the owner. i asked in the insurance office once about this & they told me that as long as im in the car (not owned by me) then it is insured weather the car has insurance or not. however if i was to park the car at the side of the road (& leave it) i could be done for no insurance. anyway, untill dvla has actually changed theire computer how can anyone prove that you own the car & aren't just borrowing it from a friend
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
arch

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pete,
Send us a PM mate with names etc and I'll do a bit of digging for ya!

Rightly or wrongly the law DOES state that you have to produce your docs ON request, but normally you are given the seven day producer (I am only stating this, so no real need for posts about what happens if the car gets stolen etc etc)

The wording on these new forms(when we take the car) are along the lines of "failed to produce an insurance certificate/driving licence when required".
Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Moose 130

I saw a 7day rectification notice today ahd sometiing about ASBO's on it too.

Standard form at the bottom for car defects, but different at the top.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 PM
The Rapid 1

OK
My understanding of insurance is that if you have the drive any car bit on your policy then it has always meant that as long as the other car has valid insurance on it (by someone else), BUT also I once enquired about it and eventually got told, that it was also in emergencies only (their little get out)

Anyway who actually realises knows what that third party cover gives you

My ex wife was driving my car (and I was in it) and someone hit us up the backside on the M25, totaling my car. Now fortunately the bloke admitted full responsability and his insurance company (Norwich Union) played ball and actually went out of their way to help ME , but my insurance company said I was on my own at trying to get anything back, as my ex was covered only third party, ie SOMEBODY ELSE's property etc, so even tho someone elses fault they still wouldnt fight my case, now before anyone says oh well you had cheapy insurance while I was dealing with Norwich Union I asked what they would have done in the same situation, and they said exactly the same, ins comp standard , so basicaly if you let someone drive your car you may trust them to not have an accident so think you will still get a pay out not necesarry the case, or at least without a load of agg fighting for it yourself in the small claims court

Right as far as im concerned whats these new laws then that I have to carry my docs, and if so what ones, insurance, log book, just what, and what are the penalties for not, ie car getting towed etc, and point two then in just what situations can your car be taken off you at the side of the road.
Not even too worried about me, but who in the general public knows this, meaning I know my ex dont carry her docs with her, and i wouldnt be very happy at the thought of her having her car towed from where ever and being stranded espescially as 99% of the time she would have my 7 yr old son in the car, surely laws like this would have to have had some sort of publicity

Can someone clear this up, and maybe on a site like this we could have a sticky about laws of the road/ new laws

Steve
Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i dont understand the need to carry documents anyway, all your details are on the police computer anyway, tax,mot and insurance. when i got stopped i couldnt remember who my policy was through as id just renewed through a broker, the policeman told me who im covered by after doing the check.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thing is thats how I drive my M3, insured to my Dad, and I drive it on my Fiesta policy, ( I know its risky before yous all start but Im only 22).
So realy the same could happen to me , well I dont envy the poor fuckin copper who gets the job of trying to get the keys to the Beemer of me, one chance and that is NO chance, I dont know exactly how I would handle it but Id be damned if they were getting my car, no way
Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
The thing is thats how I drive my M3, insured to my Dad, and I drive it on my Fiesta policy, ( I know its risky before yous all start but Im only 22).
So realy the same could happen to me , well I dont envy the poor fuckin copper who gets the job of trying to get the keys to the Beemer of me, one chance and that is NO chance, I dont know exactly how I would handle it but Id be damned if they were getting my car, no way
Hope you don't bend it then as you may find your insurer tells you to take a running jump Sorry mate but if you can't afford to insure the car properly you shouldn't have it. No if's why's buts or maybe's
Old 26-01-2006, 04:45 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

For all those who beleive their fully comp policy randomly covers them to drive any other vehicle that isnt insured elsewhere......lets just hope you never need to make a claim.

I have never heard anywhere that it is a legal requirement to carry docs. And I would never do it anyway.
Thats the whole reason for 7 day producers.

But as already stated, you shouldnt need to carry anything. There is in place a Europe wide database, of all insured cars, so checking is relatively simple. This has been the case since around 2001.

ALL fleet and trade policy's were affected by this. Any car that will be in their possession for more than 14 days, MUST be notified to their insurer so it can be logged on the database, otherwise the vehicle is not insured in respect.

I imagine there must be some form of appeal if the police steal your car in this way ?? The hassle and inconvenience and expense must be terrible. If you had your car stolen in this way, did you seek legal advice ??
Old 26-01-2006, 05:27 PM
smartrs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

so how would it work with my company work van ? my company hire the van but insure it them selfs so no where will my name be on the v5 ,i will be named on the company policy but i have never seen this document as the company change the insured vans as we change them at the hire company sometimes on a weekly basis ,so the only thing i carry i the card bit of my licance so does this mean they could inpound my van ?? i never carry any docs in the cossie apart from my card bit and that car is regstered in my missuses name but owned by me
Old 26-01-2006, 05:31 PM
UBster

so you where driving a car that wasnt yours, with no tax and no insurance registered to the car and they took it off you?
Old 26-01-2006, 05:51 PM
arch

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

StevieTurbo,
Just to clarify a little point.

By virtue of RTA 1988s 164 a constable can demand production of a driving licence, it is an offence not to do so under RTA 1988 s.164(6), it is usual practice to issue a hort1, however, this is merely a practice by us and there is no statutory requirement that this be done.ie, the offence is committed if you fail to produce on request.

When you produce your licence at the police station then in effect this is your defence for not producing them initially.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 26-01-2006, 06:25 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by arch
StevieTurbo,

By virtue of RTA 1988s 164 a constable can demand production of a driving licence, it is an offence not to do so under RTA 1988 s.164(6), it is usual practice to issue a hort1, however, this is merely a practice by us and there is no statutory requirement that this be done.ie, the offence is committed if you fail to produce on request.

When you produce your licence at the police station then in effect this is your defence for not producing them initially.

Hope this makes sense.
License maybe, but no other documents are mentioned.
Either way, failure to carry your license is no grounds for impounding anyones car.
That law is also rather out of date now, as any police officer can gain access to the DVLA's ercords and find out if someone does hold a license, and any endorsements that may be on it within a matter of minutes.

Although I appreciate the law may still exist.

I should think that any officer who impounds someones car wrongly should be dealt with very severly.
Old 26-01-2006, 06:33 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Originally Posted by arch
StevieTurbo,

Hope this makes sense.
License maybe, but no other documents are mentioned.
Either way, failure to carry your license is no grounds for impounding anyones car.
That law is also rather out of date now, as any police officer can gain access to the DVLA's ercords and find out if someone does hold a license, and any endorsements that may be on it within a matter of minutes.

Although I appreciate the law may still exist.

I should think that any officer who impounds someones car wrongly should be dealt with very severly.
Well at the end of the day he cost me my car for a night,and us (tax payers) Ł130!!!!

But doubt he wil get spanked over it...

Pete..
Old 27-01-2006, 12:50 PM
rallycross

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

interesting reading this, 99% of the time I am driving cars not registered to me, but they are all covered under my trade policy, but until now I never carry my insurance unless I am off to the post office - so if I'd been stopped would they have taken my customer car off me?

seems to be som many rules/laws/legislation coming out against drivers its gone mad.

OzCoz whats it like in Australia with anti motorists lows?
Old 27-01-2006, 02:03 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by rallycross
interesting reading this, 99% of the time I am driving cars not registered to me, but they are all covered under my trade policy
If the vehicle is in your posession for more than 14 days, and you havent notified your insurance company that you have the vehicle, you are not covered.

This has been the case for at least 2-3 years, and I know people who have been caught out..