General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

help with conrods? which is the front?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:59 AM
TURBO BOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with conrods? which is the front?

im am just building my cosworth engine and it seems there are no markings on the conrods to say which is the front? there is a part number stamped on one side and thats it.... is that the front??? help.....
Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 PM
TURBO BOY

any1??????
Old 10-01-2006, 12:51 PM
TURBO BOY

Hello??
Old 10-01-2006, 01:00 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO BOY
Hello??
hello
Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

Default Re: help with conrods? which is the front?

im am just building my cosworth engine and it seems there are no markings on the conrods to say which is the front? there is a part number stamped on one side and thats it.... is that the front??? help.....
I'm 99% sure that it does not matter, just keep them all the same (part number facing front for example).
Old 10-01-2006, 01:52 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
Hello??
hello
Old 10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont take this the wrong way, but if you are asking that sort of question are you sure you should be building an engine?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:44 PM
TURBO BOY

Originally Posted by cossierich330
Dont take this the wrong way, but if you are asking that sort of question are you sure you should be building an engine?
Thank you very much for your input
Old 10-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

As it happens there is a correct orientation for the rods, but thats why people pay the pro's to build their engines!!
Old 10-01-2006, 04:07 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Default Re: help with conrods? which is the front?

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
I'm 99% sure that it does not matter, just keep them all the same (part number facing front for example).
Is it not in the Haynes Manual?

I'm sure its only a 2 spanner job....

alex
Old 10-01-2006, 04:09 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl
As it happens there is a correct orientation for the rods, but thats why people pay the pro's to build their engines!!
the helpful world of passion-ford
Old 10-01-2006, 04:16 PM
ricky_3dr
Advanced PassionFord User

Go and ask on www.turbosport.co.uk and you'll get a grown up answer
Old 10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
TURBO BOY

Originally Posted by RS3DR
Go and ask on www.turbosport.co.uk and you'll get a grown up answer
May just do that.

Majority of con rods have some form of mark on them to show front facing, as we are not born into the world knowing this for every single engine.

All so helpfull.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:00 PM
MickB
Part of the Furniture

The bearing tab cut out on the conrod should point to the auxillary shaft side of the block,there's also a FORD logo on the conrod,that should face to the rear of the block,if memory serves me right

Mick.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:04 PM
TURBO BOY

Originally Posted by MickB
The bearing tab cut out on the conrod should point to the auxillary shaft side of the block,there's also a FORD logo on the conrod that should face to the rear of the block.

Mick.
Thank you very much Mick, you help is much appreciated.

Thank you to everybody else that posted and decided to keep the information a secret.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive never had a cosworth engine in bits mate, and i was wondering if
there was any markings on them as well.

Think sadly some people have forgotten that this is a Reference site
Old 10-01-2006, 06:44 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by pee vee
the helpful world of passion-ford
you can't expect some-one who maks a living designing and building engines to give away knowledge for free i think people get more than their fair share of reference of this site
Old 10-01-2006, 07:27 PM
TURBO BOY

I wasnt asking for rocket science or any trick questions to gain tuners secret knowledge, simply which way a conrod goes round.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Jamz

It's pretty piss poor if someone who knows full well what the answer is won't help out.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 PM
peteh
PassionFord Post Whore!!

very helpful
Old 10-01-2006, 08:07 PM
bigboy4321
Virgin

thats very helpful

as i live near nms i was goin to take my car to him for alot of engine work but as it seems that he is not very helpful on such simple questions he sounds like an aragant big headed pig and not the nice helpful chap people say he is so i think i'll go elsewhere to sum1 that seems more helpful......
Old 10-01-2006, 08:20 PM
TURBO BOY

if i was to ask what people got for xmas or how do i fix my boiler or whos guna watch top gear i would have got loads of replys but cus i asked about an engine im not familar with all i get is slated

im sure everybody has asked for advice sumtime in there life about an engine

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP KARL
Old 10-01-2006, 08:24 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by bigboy4321
thats very helpful

as i live near nms i was goin to take my car to him for alot of engine work but as it seems that he is not very helpful on such simple questions he sounds like an aragant big headed pig and not the nice helpful chap people say he is so i think i'll go elsewhere to sum1 that seems more helpful......

you muppet! Karl is very very helpful, but i imagine his above comment was more to make sure the guy found out that they do need to be orientated correctly,rather than just thrown together.

i'm sure he won't miss your business too much, but i assure you he's not like that
Old 10-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

the yn part number cast into the rod faces the rear of the engine, but you really should be taking more note of how parts fit before stripping the engine.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
bigboy4321
Virgin

Originally Posted by bud-weis
thats very helpful

you muppet! Karl is very very helpful, but i imagine his above comment was more to make sure the guy found out that they do need to be orientated correctly,rather than just thrown together.

i'm sure he won't miss your business too much, but i assure you he's not like that
YOU MUPPET!!!!!!!

your the muppet mate youve got orange indicators in your sapphire. waster......................
Old 10-01-2006, 08:30 PM
TURBO BOY

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP MARTIN
Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

your the muppet mate youve got orange indicators in your sapphire. waster......................
i think it may be you that's the muppet! 2wd's had orange indicators as standard and unless i'm mistaken his car is a 2wd
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
cossies4eva
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

thats very helpful

YOU MUPPET!!!!!!!

no your the muppet your probably the pikey with your chavved up saxo. his indicators are the propper colour
Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
filthyrichie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

im going to jump o the wagon here and add my bit

I run my own successfull garage in cumbria and although i have always enjoyed ford and their product im sure you will all agree the RS is a different kettle of fish to most vehicles on the road.

without forums like this one and the abilty to offer advise whereever poss the likes of PF will cease to exist i have been in the trade for 20 years and im still learning .. relearning in most cases but i will always try to offer free help wherever poss as most of my customers will agree.

i even break into cars for people and dont charge if it helps people out and that is part of how we all survive. So i would say if you have a small peice of info ..no matter how meaningless it seems at the time share it, becouse you never know one day it will be you asking somebody else for help and you would hate to be shat on like this post appears to have been

all the best turbo boy and i hope you get it sorted and well done for trying braver than most .....
Old 10-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

It makes me wonder sometimes what mentality some folk have when they get funny over me not giving info. The fact is, if I chose not to give out FREE help that is my choice!

I made it quite clear there is a correct way round for the rods! I just did'nt want to tell him the answer!

Amazing how folk think that a tuner should just hand over any info they see fit! If you're an existing customer of mine you always get full support and advice, but I don't have the time or inclination to help everyone on forums like this.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
TURBO BOY

but I don't have the time or inclination to help everyone on forums like this.
So if it is an existing customer of yours, you help, if it is not an existing customer then you couldnt give a toss.

Such a poor statement Karl considering you are setting up your new premesis and are going to need all the new custom you can get, trust me.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:21 PM
TURBO BOY

Originally Posted by filthyrichie
im going to jump o the wagon here and add my bit

I run my own successfull garage in cumbria and although i have always enjoyed ford and their product im sure you will all agree the RS is a different kettle of fish to most vehicles on the road.

without forums like this one and the abilty to offer advise whereever poss the likes of PF will cease to exist i have been in the trade for 20 years and im still learning .. relearning in most cases but i will always try to offer free help wherever poss as most of my customers will agree.

i even break into cars for people and dont charge if it helps people out and that is part of how we all survive. So i would say if you have a small peice of info ..no matter how meaningless it seems at the time share it, becouse you never know one day it will be you asking somebody else for help and you would hate to be shat on like this post appears to have been

all the best turbo boy and i hope you get it sorted and well done for trying braver than most .....
I cudnt of said that any better myself thanks for your support
Old 10-01-2006, 09:22 PM
THE RS DJ
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

This is a joke post surely.

"Brand new customers only"

can you tell me which way round a conrod goes?

"Sorry, exisitng customers only"

How about which plug is best for the rst.?

"sorry again, existing customers only."

Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

my orange indicators are infact standard fit, as Martin H pointed out

as far as this topic goes and i don't mean to offend anyone, but all the time i see people join up and all they post about is how they want help with this and that, they don't contribute to the forum at all,they just want free knowledge because they refuse to pay the people who know what they are doing !

As Karl says if he wants to give out info he will,if not he won't,simple as,it's his choice.

and a good point Martin H made, taking the engine apart and not making a note of where things came from is bad practice if you're not a pro.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 PM
bigboy4321
Virgin

hahaha

It makes me wonder sometimes what mentality some folk have when they get funny over me not giving info. The fact is, if I chose not to give out FREE help that is my choice!

I made it quite clear there is a correct way round for the rods! I just did'nt want to tell him the answer!

Amazing how folk think that a tuner should just hand over any info they see fit! If you're an existing customer of mine you always get full support and advice, but I don't have the time or inclination to help everyone on forums like this.
so your not a helpful man then karl u are just an aragant tuner, u just didnt want to tell him well i just dont want u to have my business then!!!

u dont want to start upsetting customers karl ur business will go down the pan before you know it cus remember it takes years to get a good name for urself and just days for bad things to go around about u and there stay around for a long time
Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
THE RS DJ

They look like Taxi's with orange indicators in my opinion.

Bloody Sierras, we love em though.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
bigboy4321
Virgin

my orange indicators are infact standard fit, as Martin H pointed out

as far as this topic goes and i don't mean to offend anyone, but all the time i see people join up and all they post about is how they want help with this and that, they don't contribute to the forum at all,they just want free knowledge because they refuse to pay the people who know what they are doing !

As Karl says if he wants to give out info he will,if not he won't,simple as,it's his choice.

and a good point Martin H made, taking the engine apart and not making a note of where things came from is bad practice if you're not a pro.
well if he doesnt want to say what way it goes then fine but theres no need to cum out with comments such as - they go in a certain way but i not guna tell u.....

thats just bein a aragant muppet
Old 10-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Fast Guy

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The fact is, if I chose not to give out FREE help that is my choice!
You don't always get what you pay for tho as the last 2 copies of J Tuner have proved. See link below (I also have a ccj against a tuner to prove it )

Tuning secrets or whatever then I wouldn't have a problem with not giving free help, but with something this basic, it's not made you look good in some peoples eyes.

If you'd answered the question, you'd probably get people thinking "that Karl seems a top bloke, I'll pay him to do my work" and that free 10secs of typing could have got you £££ in custom.

http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/fo...ter&PN=0&TPN=2 Scroll down for the readable piccy
Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
bigboy4321
Virgin

Originally Posted by Fast Guy

The fact is, if I chose not to give out FREE help that is my choice!
You don't always get what you pay for tho as the last 2 copies of J Tuner have proved. See link below (I also have a ccj against a tuner to prove it )

Tuning secrets or whatever then I wouldn't have a problem with not giving free help, but with something this basic, it's not made you look good in some peoples eyes.

If you'd answered the question, you'd probably get people thinking "that Karl seems a top bloke, I'll pay him to do my work" and that free 10secs of typing could have got you £££ in custom.

http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/forum/fo...ter&PN=0&TPN=2 Scroll down for the readable piccy
exactly someone is talking sense....

thats all it takes, but now he isnt gonna get my trade i'll go else where from now on................
Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
THE RS DJ

Originally Posted by Fast Guy

Couldnt agree with you more, a little help goes a long way. If Karl didnt want to post the information then why bother posting at all on this thread.

As posted previous. the question wasnt asking for rocket science or tuner secrets.LOL,

Quick Reply: help with conrods? which is the front?