General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cossie 'top speed run' safety

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:44 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cossie 'top speed run' safety

was just wondering how dangerous is it for a cossie to perform top speed/high speed runs. now even presuming the fuelling is spot on, does the EGT's still get excessively high when held on full throttle for long periods? , what other dangers are there. on a standard sump there is very very little oil IMO for the type of car so presumably oil temps get very very high (i have no gauge )

any other dangers i haven't thought of ??

i'm not planning to go and test my top speed BTW, i was just thinking.

discuss
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Matters how long,

as if like on a dakard rally, they might hold it on the power for 5 minutes on the rev limiter,
and on a cossie, the oil dont drain back to the sump fast enough, So oil pump will run out of oil.

but that wont happen on a 1-2 minute run.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any car needs to be mapped with how its going to be used accounted for

if you take an engine mapped for drag racing and top speed it, then you will kill it, but if you take one like Rods which is mapped for top speed runs, it will be fine
Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Tonks
PassionFord Regular

I think you will be fine for the Redditch roads
Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Tonks
I dunno you know some of em are pretty long...
Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Default Re: Cossie 'top speed run' safety

Originally Posted by bud-weis
was just wondering how dangerous is it for a cossie to perform top speed/high speed runs. now even presuming the fuelling is spot on, does the EGT's still get excessively high when held on full throttle for long periods? , what other dangers are there. on a standard sump there is very very little oil IMO for the type of car so presumably oil temps get very very high (i have no gauge )

discuss
Mark always runs with det cans on despite have it mapped before each run. Mark has come off the throttle a couple of times cos he detected very slight det, better to be safe than sorry. Its why i run two up cos im deaf & cant detect det.
My chemical oil evaluation after my last run suggested oil temp was too low, which is as bad as too hot, i moved the cooler & will use a different oil.
Most seem to suffer from high Charge Air know of one guy battling on with 90+ showing CRAZY. Dont have that prob with mine but cant reveal why, but engine Spec is a big factor, so many cant cure it & will be losing Power by the end of the straight. WI on its own wont cure it, just lose Power, again im not telling what ive done on mine, but i dont use water injection.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:18 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by Tonks
i think there probably good enough for 155ish (in my car)

would be awesome in Rods

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Default Re: Cossie 'top speed run' safety

Originally Posted by MADRod
Originally Posted by bud-weis

discuss
Mark always runs with det cans on despite have it mapped before each run. Mark has come off the throttle a couple of times cos he detected very slight det, better to be safe than sorry. Its why i run two up cos im deaf & cant detect det.
My chemical oil evaluation after my last run suggested oil temp was too low, which is as bad as too hot, i moved the cooler & will use a different oil.
Most seem to suffer from high Charge Air know of one guy battling on with 90+ showing CRAZY. Dont have that prob with mine but cant reveal why, but engine Spec is a big factor, so many cant cure it & will be losing Power by the end of the straight. WI on its own wont cure it, just lose Power, again im not telling what ive done on mine, but i dont use water injection.
do tell , got some ice packs wrapped around your plenum?

i was just thinking really, i'm kind of mechanically sympathetic to my car but there's probably all sorts happening that i hadn't considered.

i doubt i'll ever hold the throttle to the limiter in fifth very often anyway (if ever) i intend to do some track days this year and think the very minimum i need is an oil cooler ( unless the silkolene is good at high temps ) then i'll just go for big wing sump.