General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Astra GTE 16v head question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 AM
RScrew69
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astra GTE 16v head question?

Alright peeps,

thinking of getting meself one to smoke about in for abit as have heard alot about them but never owned one. Which vauxhall 16v engine is fitted with cosworth designed head? My mate reckons i just need an astra gte 16v and to fit a 6 speed f28 gearbox and i'll be lovin it as they go off the clock or something. Would for example a gte 16v on a 1990 H reg have the digital dash display? They any good though generally, reliable as everyday runner?

cheers folks
Old 02-01-2006, 01:52 AM
RScrew69
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

do they have as standard power steering fitted?

cheers
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RScrew69
do they have as standard power steering fitted?

cheers
All the Mk2 GTE 16v's have power steering. Watch the mountings for the rack haven't detached themselves from the bulkhead though as the mounting positions can rust as the sound deadener used there traps water!
Try and get the Coscast head if you can as it is "supposed" to be a better head casting - most early cars had that - Coscast is stamped on the head on the exhaust flange at the front of the engine. You can see it from under the car.
You will do very well to find a Mk2 GTE 16v WITHOUT a digital dash as although it was a delete option most people opted for it. The analogue dash is quite rare on the Mk2 16v.

If the idle fluctuates on the one you are thinking of buying it is just the ICV that needs cleaning and lubricating - bit of an awkward one to take off but easy fix.

They are very quick cars even today but get the best tyres you can on it as they make a BIG difference. I put the Cav GSi alloys on mine with 195/50s Eagle F1s as I think they are undertyred with the normal 185/65 14s on 5.5 j rims. The German spec Opel cars came on 195/55 x 15s anyway as did the special edition one in this country.
I had this one and it was a great car - only sold it as it didn't have aircon and was a bit uncomfotable for my son when he was cinched into his car seat in the summer months

If you want to know anything else just ask.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

that brings back memories for me, loved my astra it was a similar colour to that, hard to tell from the photo if it's the same, mine was the dark metallic aubergine
Old 02-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That GTE looks lovely Mike. Don't see many around now and even fewer nice examples. Shame really.

The geometry of the rear is sposed to be slightly different on the 16v cars to allow the rear brakes discs (8v had drums) which is sposed to make the back a bit more skitish
Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very reliable, 40mpg, reasonabley comfortable, ideal daily runabout.

Wouldnt worry what head its got, the coscast dont really make any more power, the difference is greatly exagerated.

Worst problem with them is that they rust like buggery.

Seriously good value for money now though, not much else you can get for well under a grand that will keep up with them!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 AM
xr2fatturbo
PassionFord Regular

that astra is looking awsome its a shame that there aren't any more around these days.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

My bro's old 8v was sold on for just Ł250

Old 02-01-2006, 10:55 AM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a cav gsi red top (2.0 16v xe) and i loved it, i thought it handled much better that the astra (always felt very floaty at the front even with 15s)

had a gasflowed head, 4 into one manifold, cat bye pass, full stainless, k & n and a chip and it was defo rapid (easily went of the clock)

it was in the same colour as that astra (burgandy)

the only prob i had with it was, theres a pipe that runs through the head and mine perished, (this is how the vauxhal garage explained it, i thought it was the head gasket)

unfortuanatly rust got the rear arched and the sills so i sold it for a grand.

it had black front recaros (out of a mk1 gte) and a cream interior and was on a set of six spoke 17s.
any one seen it, would like to know if its still alive

K*** LTR
Old 02-01-2006, 12:59 PM
jr
Advanced PassionFord User

wouldnt fit an F28 though as the ratios are out for N/A engines

remember dave from v-tuning fitting one on his xe corsa and it was terrible on 0-60 0-100 etc, think he went back to a f20 or f16 (either of which could be on a GTE) and it was far better iirc
Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
That GTE looks lovely Mike. Don't see many around now and even fewer nice examples. Shame really.

The geometry of the rear is sposed to be slightly different on the 16v cars to allow the rear brakes discs (8v had drums) which is sposed to make the back a bit more skitish
That is indeed correct - the 16v was slightly lower than the 8v and ran negative camber at the rear. The 16v also had in effect 2 rear anti roll bars. This does make them handle differently to the 8 valve ones. Vauxhall slightly revised the geometry on the 16v cars about mid 89.

As people say, they are quite reliable, sound great even with the standard exhaust and I used to get 35mpg running round ( although to be fair most of my journeys are on fast A and B roads ).

My wife had a Saxo VTS at the same time as that car, another friend a 106 GTi, and although both those cars handle better, the Astra could pull away from them on any decent straight once the speeds get over about (ahem ) 80ish.

As stated, check the rear arches and sills for rust because they do go badly there.

I sold mine to a local lad but I don't think it lasted long
Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Thats bollocks that the ratios are out for an XE, when infact its slightly geard for less in gears 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 at the same RPM on the F28 compared to the widest F20 they did.

Just won't have much joy accelrating much in sixth, but its an excellent economy gear! Not worth the cost and hassle, and you would need to find a box and a new clutch. Then mount and fit it. Costly excercise.