General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Spraying

Search this Thread

Old 25-12-2005, 09:54 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy_mercury_magic
Originally Posted by JezSierra
dont get any runs!
A run is better than a dry spot
simple....just dont get dry spots,its not hard!
Old 25-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is for someone doing it for the first time and getting used to it and ive seen fookin good sprayers get complacent and not check things b4 and fuck them up
You'll be surprised how many painters where i am have had shit loads of re-work and they've been doin it donkeys years.

No worries for the info mate glad i could help, never written so much in 1 post before i dont think

If u can get some spraying whites are spot on for topcoating as dust doesnt stick to them like normal overalls but arnt essential!!
Theres a company on ebay selling tyvek ones at mo in packs of 3 which is what we use at work.

Best thing thou is 2 cost everyhting up first and make a list of what ur getting and stick a post up so u know ur getting the right things

You might get away with a 1.5 depending what paint u use, but ive never used a tip that big before so couldnt comment!
Old 25-12-2005, 10:01 PM
rsturboo
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

comments removed cause i dont know how to spray
Old 25-12-2005, 10:03 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

ive only been doing it a couple of years,and i think i have worked with some of the best painter in the east midlands,and ive learnt a shit load in them couple of years,the guy whos training me atm is amazing at his job,and i can honestly say he doesnt get anything wrong!
Old 25-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Gotta love ppl that think they know what their talkin about
Tell me about it pmsl! Ive only been doing it for 4 years, so i gues my knowlegde is fuck all

Radds is right u dont need need 2 bake fuck all!!!!!!!! the reason cars are baked is bodyshops especially insurance ones have to get cars in painted and fooked off as quick as poss to make any profit, every min a cars on the premises not sprayed ur loosing money as insurance companys only pay a set amount of time so u go over it its ur loss!!! most big places sometimes have to do 50cars a day and you'd be lucky 2 get any done if u left them 2 air dry

Thank you

As far as guns go ive only used devilbiss Gtis and their very good BUT ive bought a couple cheap ones on ebay and theres been problems with them had 2 replace bits (which luckly i borrowed from work )but still always best 2 get new if u can afford it!!! theres a company in germany doing Gti's for about £170 which is good as they retail at £300 odd!!! But as Damo said u dont need a Gti to get a good job and the budget lines they do like the finishline give a good finish 2, its the person putting it on half the time that fooks it up
I didnt really go into detail about guns as ive only ever used my Devilbiss Gti

But i pretty much guessed that not all guns are shite, Never really looked into buying them either tbh

Setup wise if ur going straight colour ie high solids (which u dont need 2 laquer) you prob want a 1.4 fluid tip and the same for laquer, if u wanna use basecoat same as really althou alot of ppl prefer a 1.3 tip as thats what we use at McLaren on all colours bar the main silver which has a course Aluminium in it
Im looking for a job in civvie street, wanna employ me LOL

I only use 1.8 Caps, Think the smallest is a 1.4 I've used, not very often tho..

Conrtary to popular belief the isocynates arnt linked 2 cancer i found out when we had a medical a while back but............ the fumes are still fookin bad for u!!!!!!!!!! especially from laquer/high solids and solvent basecoats. Waterbourne stuff is alot safer hence them wanting everyone 2 be using it by 2007
Etch primer has been known to lead to it

A lad back in the late 80's in the RAF got it, and was lend back to his job, What we do... Could be wrong as i cant remember the whole story

Either way, its not good

But pretty much everything radders has said is spot on!!!
Cheers mate

Basically any repairs ie filler work u do make sure its on bare metal and not over paint, when u block it down ALWAYS use a block 2 do it or it'll never be right (some ppl can do it with a DA if they've been doin it a long time) and make sure u use guide coat on it or lightly dust some matt black paint (trade spray) as it shows u any high/low spots as ur blocking.
Nothing to be said

Spot on

With the primer, you want to do a few coats but each one make it a full coat and give it time 2 flash off before applying the next or it will blister up if u bake it. Then again when ur rubbing it down make sure u use a block and guide coat it up so u get all the orange peel out and get the shape ok!!
Ditto

During each stage make sure u use a good degresant to clean it to make sure its free from grease.
Your good at this

When it comes 2 top coat if ur using high solids(straight colour) you want to do a light coat, then a full one and that should be enough, leave it for a few mins and if ur not happy with it or its 2 peely you can give it another full coat just not 2 heavy or you'll get waves/runs!!! then once its dry any bits ur not happy with u can rub out with some 1500 grit and mop it which is something else it'd be handy 2 have/borrow!!!!!
I shouldnt be reading this

If u want to use basecoat and laquer with solvent basecoat you will prob need 2 use 2-3coats 2 get good coverage with the last being a drop coat which is a light coat over it again to make sure its not patchy anywhere!!
One thing i will say...When applying paint, The closer the gun the more chance its got to being "orange peely", Other than that a run is "ok" as they can be polished out, So long as your cant surf it

With waterbase basecoat they say you should only need a couple of coats and usually 1 light and a full should work ok but if not as many to get it looking right
Never used Water base top coat, only primers

Then with laquer a grip coat which is basically a light one, then a full coat, and just like high solids if need be another full coat if ur not happy with it
Another meaning for grip coat, its a dust coat/dry coat, Basically, you dotn want it looking like a finish when first applying

Then either bake it if ur using an oven or leave to air dry.

The BIGGEST thing i can reccomend is use a booth if poss, if u try and spray in a normal size garage all the overspray is a fookin nitemare to see thru sometimes and its also illegal to do these days!!! but u can get away with it if ur careful
As i said... you'll need good extraction

If u feel u can do it mate go for it, all ur gonna loose out on is money at the end of the day and if u dont mind then it dont mean fook all but beware if u have to take it somewhere after they can get funny and charge more 2 fix fuckups!!!
As said, you know whats at stake, so its your call, fair play for wanting to, the self satisfication is wicked, i love it

Biggest thing is get a decent mask, ur lungs will apreciate it air fed are the best but cartridge ones arnt 2 bad. and the biggest compressor u can as small ones can run out of steam part way thru spraying which is a fookin cooooont!!
Tell me about it LOL luckily we have BIG compressors LOL, And sa for your breathing, Air fed is best, but if you can get a full face with filter, there just as good

I did this in my first week at college mate its hard work, but not rocket science Good luck if u do it mate

Looks smart

and for any clever fucker that notices i know their different but i didnt have a before of the finished wing
wasnt going to comment, but i bet someone will
Old 25-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Anonymous
Banned

anyone else ya wanna quote PMSL
Old 25-12-2005, 10:10 PM
ryan_belfast
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by rsturboo
but hey we arent here to bicker just to give you tips and advice. so good luck with this. and i hope you all the best with it

no hard feeling ay

not here to bicker? So why are you then?

Sorry i didnt have a taxi pull out infront of me and get a big claim so yes i did have to loan money off my father, and whats your point? You spent about £8000 on an rs turbo and have nothing to show for it so dont try and belittle me.
Old 25-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by Ryan_Belfast
Looks alright

im gonna buy a shitter car for about £50 and learn on that.

, Best way mate, Put the car into sections aswell, 4 quarters id do, one quarter id brush paint so its all uneven, better practise for prep, another quarter with stone chips, etc etc you get what i mean

Just incase you didnt see as this is now 3 pages

dont get any runs!
A run is better than a dry spot
simple....just dont get dry spots,its not hard!

True.. But Ryan hasnt ever sprayed before, Let alone set a gun up, To much pressure and not enough fluid, and you WILL get dry spots, simple
Old 25-12-2005, 10:12 PM
ryan_belfast

Ive been reading as much as i can on the internet and stuff, but you can only read so much, you have to gain experience by doing some practial work...
Old 25-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Does etch have isocynates in it thou as most isocynates are from hardners in 2k paint and etch u thin down with thinners u dont add a hardner?!?!

ive only been doing it ermmm prob 1 1/2 yrs now but ive learnt alot since started at McLaren in april, plus from a mates who do it 2 but i was lucky at college as i picked it up quick so had loads of booth time

Only things i'd say is IMO ur more likely to get peel the further away u are not closer in my experiance, if ur 2 close you'll overload it and get runs and waves and prob both

Hand span away from the panel is usually best

But as radds says when it comes out good the satisfaction is tops

Nothing nicer than doing a 1500 respray urself for a couple hundred quid

What i meant by the guns thou is i bought a couple 2nd hand gtis on ebay which i regret now Always gonna buy new from now on!! but their my fav guns 2 use Sata ones are also supposed 2 be good, and ive heard good things about iwata guns 2!!!

and fook me how many quotes

and ur right mate only way ur gonna learn is do it, theory is all good but easier 2 get the gun in ur hand and do it!!!!

Oh and perssure wise in HVLP gun u want it at about 2bar!!!! no higher really for basecoat, but for high solids u can go up2 about 2.5 to get a better finish if ur confident
Old 25-12-2005, 10:14 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

Originally Posted by Ryan_Belfast
Ive been reading as much as i can on the internet and stuff, but you can only read so much, you have to gain experience by doing some practial work...
very true mate we all have to start somewhere!
Old 25-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Indeed you do!

And buying a shitter of a car is the best bet imo

As i said, put damage into it and keep going over and over till its right

I'll say it again, its the prep thats the bitch, get it wrong and it will fuck the job, trust me

Old 25-12-2005, 10:16 PM
ryan_belfast

exactly, but you get people like rsturboo who just try and put you down as they have nothing better to do with their time...
Old 25-12-2005, 10:17 PM
ryan_belfast

Everything ive read on it says that the prep is the most important bit and to take your time with it and make sure youve done it right.
Old 25-12-2005, 10:18 PM
rsturboo

Old 25-12-2005, 10:19 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

Toe knee,is anyone at maclaren using them revolutionary 3M guns yet?there beibg tested at a few bodyshops over here and in the USA,theres two of them at our place,just wondering if you had any info on them?there supposed to be crap for laquar,but amazing for basecoat!but my mentor wont let me touch his yet
Old 25-12-2005, 10:19 PM
ryan_belfast

I think your dummy has just landed outside my house...

You shouldnt have considered me as a friend, becuase a friend wouldnt have made the comments you made and would help me out, so your the "dick head" And to be honest i couldnt really care less, im not here to be liked by you or anyone else!
Old 25-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Gonna go quote mad again

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Does etch have isocynates in it thou as most isocynates are from hardners in 2k paint and etch u thin down with thinners u dont add a hardner?!?!
As i said, wasnt sure on the full story, Im sure i could find out if you want??

ive only been doing it ermmm prob 1 1/2 yrs now but ive learnt alot since started at McLaren in april, plus from a mates who do it 2
Nice.. Id love to work for a car company, specially someone like them

Do you go to college or have you finished?

Only things i'd say is IMO ur more likely to get peel the further away u are not closer in my experiance, if ur 2 close you'll overload it and get runs and waves and prob both
Seen and done a few times PMSL!!!! I wish i had pictures

Hand span away from the panel is usually best

and fook me how many quotes

Not enough

Oh and perssure wise in HVLP gun u want it at about 2bar!!!! no higher really for basecoat, but for high solids u can go up2 about 2.5 to get a better finish if ur confident
I always set the regulator to 40psi then adjust on the gun

I'll stop quoting now
Old 25-12-2005, 10:22 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

the prep work is the biggest and hardest part,but as i allways been told by the lads i work with,better its preped the better end product you will have!
Old 25-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

tell you what it is dick head

i would give twice the money i got from that claim to have my health back i only spent 5 grand on the car and made 3500 back on it and if you are going to start on my accident then i am sorry i ever considered you as a freind because no friend of mine would bring that up.

i tried to end the bickering with a friendly comment and you just rant on. so forget what i said and i hope you car shits itself all over the place and your paint job looks like a baboons arse.
Woah... Someones pissed off

And I like baboons arses, Please dont bring them into this please

Old 25-12-2005, 10:24 PM
rsturboo

Old 25-12-2005, 10:25 PM
ryan_belfast

well i tell you what you can do with that dummy, shove it up your fucking asshole. you just love arguing and causing a stir. dont you. those comments you made where uncalled for this is a forum about cars and i commented on yours not your personal life. when i said i dont care about your car it was because i dont its not mine so i wont be affected by anything that happens to it and the paint obviously is crap otherwise why would you be learning to paint it?
There wouldnt be an argument nor a stir if you hadnt of made the original comments you did, so you started this not me!
Old 25-12-2005, 10:28 PM
rsturboo

Old 25-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Toe knee,is anyone at maclaren using them revolutionary 3M guns yet?there beibg tested at a few bodyshops over here and in the USA,theres two of them at our place,just wondering if you had any info on them?there supposed to be crap for laquar,but amazing for basecoat!but my mentor wont let me touch his yet
Nah mate the company supplies Gtis, we got about 15-20 for laquer and basecoats and about 5 sri guns.

plus we use gtis for priming aswell!!!

Tell me about runs thou I went thru a phase at college getting runs in every job i laquered

Nice.. Id love to work for a car company, specially someone like them

Do you go to college or have you finished?

Nah left college in feb mate, did a 9month intensive course then luckly my teacher knew someone there and i did 2 weeks work experiance then got offered a job Bit pissed at my money as i didnt have the experiance i was started on less than others are on yet do shit loads more than half of the "supposed" experianced ppl there and watch them fuck up job after job!!!

But its pretty nice workin on a 300k car even if we have 2 use shitty dupont paint
Old 25-12-2005, 10:29 PM
ryan_belfast

well if you want opinions then be prepared for bad ones too. there was nothing personal in what i said.
Go back and reread everyone of your comments, you threw dig after dig for no reason! Now if you have no knowledge of painting, which you dont, please dont post as im looking for helpful advice not wankers looking for fights.
Old 25-12-2005, 10:29 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

well anyway back to the subject!lol
Old 25-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Can i ask what you get paid?

PM or add me to msn, As i really need a job in civvie street now
Old 25-12-2005, 10:32 PM
rsturboo

Old 25-12-2005, 10:33 PM
ryan_belfast

your right i know nothing about painting. so off i go to the real world, off from skiman land.

Even there you are throwing a dig, grow up ffs.
Old 25-12-2005, 10:34 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

Tell me about runs thou I went thru a phase at college getting runs in every job i laquered

im going through that phase ATM really getting to me!

But its pretty nice workin on a 300k car even if we have 2 use shitty dupont paint [/quote]

is dupont not vert good then?we only use glasurit or spies hecker,as they are the paints approved by porsche and audi,so we get made to use them
Old 25-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can i ask what you get paid?

PM or add me to msn, As i really need a job in civvie street now
Will add u 2 msn case anyone workin there is lookin and on less that me

is dupont not vert good then?we only use glasurit or spies hecker,as they are the paints approved by porsche and audi,so we get made to use them
Ermmm well in all honesty, Dupont spies hecker and standox are supposed 2 be all in the same group now so, but tbh no1 at our place likes using dupont so

Same really with ICI, Max Mayers and PPG their all in the same group aswell now!!

Ive used spies hecker and ici, top paints and glasurit is shit hot but never had the pleasure
Old 25-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Cheers
Old 25-12-2005, 10:43 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

ive used sikkens before,and found that was good,not as good as glas though,ive only ever used max mayer laquar,and found that to be poo!
Old 25-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yea its the budget line so not surprising Althou my mate seems 2 think its ok lol.

Everyone raves about glasurite thou but then its not 2 cheap
Old 25-12-2005, 10:48 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

theres a place in notting ham that gets glas very cheap
Old 25-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Where mate?!?!

Friend of mine got me cheap ICI paint, paid £20 per litre of base and about £50 for 5L of laquer which wernt too bad

Fook me off topic or what now
Old 25-12-2005, 10:53 PM
JezSierra
happy with that

its a place called AMO! fookin hell mate that was cheap! we are well off topic now !
Old 25-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yea it was kinda thru the back door

I aint complainin thou the cossies gonna be lookin nice and pretty for the shows next year assuming i get time to do it
Old 25-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Hmmmm... Paints Where do i start

Ive use Lesonal, find it quite good, If not then trimite
Old 26-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

Ryan,

Go for it mate it is not massively difficult however take the advice of people on here who are experienced (not me) I painted the bumpers on my sierra this year which was my first foray into spraying but with the guidance of my friend who has sprayed for a number of years. I was amazed with the finish I managed, albeit with a couple of runs...lol, but really got a great sense of achievement after when they were on the car. The only advice I am qualified to give is to take your time from prep right the way through and I am sure you will manage.

I am looking to buy a compressor(machine mart have good value ones) now and a gun and I am going to have a go at home, possibly go on a course if our local college do it.

Anyway take your time and enjoy it.

Graham

Quick Reply: Car Spraying