General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

£25,099 for a Cossie Rep??

Search this Thread

Old 16-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £25,099 for a Cossie Rep??

Sorry if Old! Fucking re-shelled...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-SIERRA-RS...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 16-11-2005, 10:30 AM
rscostalot
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Agree with ya m8 if reshelled it ant origanal is it,muppets.
Old 16-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reshelled into a new blank shell doesnt stop it being a genuine car as you can stamp the old numbers into it legally, its only if its done (like my own rs500 reshell) into a used shell that it loses its identity
Old 16-11-2005, 10:33 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

The fact that it has been re-shelled legaly or otherwise will always affects its value with the RS anorak brigade! Imo its worth 12-15 tops and anyone paying over 20k for it either wants their bumps felt or is a friend of the owner.
Old 16-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

bargain
Old 16-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Anonymous
Banned

To me its all bollocks with the values, i cant understand the logic of how one car is four times as much as an identical car just cause of something written on a piece of paper you use once a year to tax it, to me how good a car is can be determined from driving it and what it does like, handles like, how much rust, that sort of thing, but i guess thats cause im from a vauxhall background mainly where this sort of logbook snobbery doesnt really exist as much.
I can understand a slight difference in cost based on whats on the logbook, but cant understand the extent to which it happens with rs500's
Old 16-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by chip-3door
To me its all bollocks with the values, i cant understand the logic of how one car is four times as much as an identical car just cause of something written on a piece of paper you use once a year to tax it, to me how good a car is can be determined from driving it and what it does like, handles like, how much rust, that sort of thing, but i guess thats cause im from a vauxhall background mainly where this sort of logbook snobbery doesnt really exist as much.
I can understand a slight difference in cost based on whats on the logbook, but cant understand the extent to which it happens with rs500's
Perhaps because they are so rare?

Trending Topics

Old 16-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needs different wheels, suspension and brakes (best part of £3.5k spending ). IMO there are plenty of RS500s out there that are / were better (Martin Johnson's / Bruce Read's as two examples straight off the top of my head).
Old 16-11-2005, 10:43 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Chip there are 2 different types of people that buy RS's. One will buy it purely based on wanting to drive that particular car and won't be too worried about history etc...as long as its sound. The other type will pay top dollar for a genuine, mint, original car with the right miles and bits of paperwork etc....and probably will only use it once every blue moon to go to a show!
As for Vauxhalls there is no 'log book' snobbery as they haven't built cars in years that were even remotely rare except for Lotus Carltons which still command silly money.
Old 16-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by SPADGE

Chip there are 2 different types of people that buy RS's. One will buy it purely based on wanting to drive that particular car and won't be too worried about history etc...as long as its sound. The other type will pay top dollar for a genuine, mint, original car with the right miles and bits of paperwork etc....and probably will only use it once every blue moon to go to a show!
As for Vauxhalls there is no 'log book' snobbery as they haven't built cars in years that were even remotely rare except for Lotus Carltons which still command silly money.
With vauxhalls there is the exclusive nature in terms of the lotus carlton and the nova sport, but there isnt an established base of bufty's to pay top whack for them really.

I guess that there are a lot more people in the RS world who have always wanted an RS500 than in the vauxhall world who have always wanted a LC hence the LC is worth less even though it was a dearer car originally and is just as rare.

I guess im firmly in the "buy a car on its merits as a car not its logbook" camp and so have difficulty seeing the logic of the "polish it and talk about it" brigade!
Old 16-11-2005, 10:50 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

I guess im firmly in the "buy a car on its merits as a car not its logbook" camp and so have difficulty seeing the logic of the "polish it and talk about it" brigade!
I'm with you on that one Chip! More fun for less bucks is always a good thing imo
Old 16-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

hence the LC is worth less even though it was a dearer car originally and is just as rare.
Chip, they built nearly twice as many Lotus Carlton's as RS500s .
Old 16-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Anonymous
Banned

I'm with you on that one Chip! More fun for less bucks is always a good thing imo
Your just saying that cause your fiesta is a replica not a REAL cossie
Old 16-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
hence the LC is worth less even though it was a dearer car originally and is just as rare.
Chip, they built nearly twice as many Lotus Carlton's as RS500s .

How many of each are left?

If you dont know, then please STFU
Old 16-11-2005, 10:54 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Your just saying that cause your fiesta is a replica not a REAL cossie
Lol it is in fact a 1.1 Ghia so cheap tax
Always been of the same oppinion hence i would rather go out and find a car that needs a bit of work than pay stupid money for a minter with the old tax discs etc...
Old 16-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Law of averages etc - so YOU STFU .
Old 16-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Law of averages etc - so YOU STFU .
Most RS500's are tucked up in a nice warm garage from what ive seen, most LC are out there on the road in use, therefore more like to get spanked into something backwards (i know that sounds ironic coming from the previous owner of one of 52 moonstone rs500 shells that expired exactly that way, lol)
So i dont really think its a safe assumption which there is more of the LC left really.
They arent average cars, so laws of average dont apply!

Whichever it is, they are certainly of the same order of magnitude in terms of numbers and just as unliklely to be spotted in your local tesocs, so i stand by my "just as rare" comment
Old 16-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

I guess that there are a lot more people in the RS world who have always wanted an RS500 than in the vauxhall world who have always wanted a LC hence the LC is worth less even though it was a dearer car originally and is just as rare.
Or is it because the LC doesn't have availability of uprated parts?
Old 16-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

So why did you buy an RS500 in the first place? Could have bought a cheaper standard 3door couldn't you...
Old 16-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by Stealth Bomber
Or is it because the LC doesn't have availability of uprated parts?
The reason for that is its (relative to the rs500) lack of motorsport heritage.

So i think the lack of upgrade bits is another symptom of the same cause to a certain extent.

Thereally valuable RS500's dont have any upgrade bits on them anyway normally, most of the ones fetching big money are standard or near standard from what ive seen.
Old 16-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip, I can assure you there are far more LC's still around than RS500s .

I can't remember the last time I saw an RS500 on the road other than at a show, but you at least occasionally see Lotus Carltons. This will aslo give you an indication of how many are left .

http://www.lotus-carlton.co.uk/

Is a nice site . We actually did a lot of installation work on the production line for the Omega's way back when .

My Dad actually witnessed the prototypes being scrapped with a JCB .
Old 16-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

FWIW my Cossie is an HPI total loss, so I'm technically in the non-Bufty camp by default
Old 16-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Anonymous
Banned

So why did you buy an RS500 in the first place? Could have bought a cheaper standard 3door couldn't you...
If you knew how little i paid for it you would be shocked. (it was a stoeln recovered identity lost car dont forget, plus the guy wasnt aware of their value)

And to answer your question i couldnt have bought a 3 door with the YB and T5 and nice seats and wheels/kit/spoiler etc for less, and all that effects how it drives, the thing im interested in.
Old 16-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip, I can assure you there are far more LC's still around than RS500s .

I can't remember the last time I saw an RS500 on the road other than at a show, but you at least occasionally see Lotus Carltons. This will aslo give you an indication of how many are left .

http://www.lotus-carlton.co.uk/

Is a nice site . We actually did a lot of installation work on the production line for the Omega's way back when .

My Dad actually witnessed the prototypes being scrapped with a JCB .
Ive seen more RS500's than LC's i reckon.

Ive only ever seen a handful of LC's

Mind you at a distance you dont know if the rs500 is real or some shonky 1.6 replica anyway of course (well, unless its yellow )
Old 16-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Mind you at a distance you dont know if the rs500 is real or some shonky 1.6 replica anyway of course (well, unless its yellow )
. There are LOTS of 3-dr copies - I thought you of all people realised that .
Old 16-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

strangly enough...

the other day i saw an LC coming out of the tesco metro near my house!!

dunno if it ws genuine on, but it looked and sounded good
Old 16-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

If you knew how little i paid for it you would be shocked. (it was a stoeln recovered identity lost car dont forget, plus the guy wasnt aware of their value)
Amount in £££s or STFU!!!
Old 16-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

These don't look like genuine 3dr alloys...

Old 16-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

they aint

nice 13" steelies with 165/80/13 tyres that are shit

they are just there to hide the coilovers
Old 16-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Amount in £££s or STFU!!!
I'll STFU up then
Old 16-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Anonymous
Banned

. There are LOTS of 3-dr copies - I thought you of all people realised that .
The "unless its yellow" bit wasnt enough of a clue to give away that i know that then mike?

You really are a bit trigger happy with that of yours, you keep firing it off too soon (not just the either according to Jen)
Old 16-11-2005, 11:32 AM
martinrs500labatts
Advanced PassionFord User

i had a lotus carlton, and after six months sold it before it broke down,

it was far to heavey for track use,

but was very quick in a straight line with very litte lag.
Old 16-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
The fact that I know you know that I know you know that, proves you're just arguing the point for the sake of it, as you know I'm right about the number of LC's compared to RS500s .
Old 16-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip,
The fact that I know you know that I know you know that, proves you're just arguing the point for the sake of it, as you know I'm right about the number of LC's compared to RS500s .
I dont know the exact number of either Mike, i just know they are both rare cars, hence my original statement, which hasnt changed at any point despite you firing off all over the place like a schoolboy in a whorehouse.

On one hand lots of rs500 were used in motorsport, and hence probably crashed, dminishing numbers, but on the other hand, a lot of those have been reshelled into new shells and hence still exist.

For the LC, if they get crashed they tend to stay dead not be rebuilt as there arent the same availablity of cheap brand new shells available as for the sierra.

So no, i dont know the numbers, and i dont believe you do either, its all just speculation.

all either of us know is that they are both rare cars, its you trying to argue black is white to say otherwise.
Old 16-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Ooooh hark at you I just don't agree that a car that was built in twice as many numbers as another car, can be considered equally as rare .
Old 16-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Ooooh hark at you I just don't agree that a car that was built in twice as many numbers as another car, can be considered equally as rare .
So the mini cooper S 997 that they made 962 of isnt a rare car these days then mike?

Thats weird, my mates old one got valued at 20K a while ago IIRC, on the basis that there are only a few dozen left worldwide as they nearly all got smacked up in motorsport.

But, if you insist that its the number made and not the number remaining that determines how rare something is nowadays, then thats up to you i guess.

Here, have one of these, youve certainly earned it
Old 16-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
I would completely agree with you in the case you highlight, but that proves ME even more right, as the RS500s were built in 1986 and the LCs in greater numbers in 1993, so ipso-facto going by YOUR logic, the older cars are likely to be MORE rare, even if they built EQUAL numbers . So have this back .
Old 16-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip,
I would completely agree with you in the case you highlight, but that proves ME even more right, as the RS500s were built in 1986 and the LCs in greater numbers in 1993, so ipso-facto going by YOUR logic, the older cars are likely to be MORE rare, even if they built EQUAL numbers . So have this back .
By 1970 there were prety much the same number of cars on the road as there are now in terms of the 997, wasnt really to do with time, more to do with the fact they were considered disposable and crashed into things left right and centre.
Old 16-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by fudgeass
they aint

nice 13" steelies with 165/80/13 tyres that are shit

they are just there to hide the coilovers
Has it got damp valve and NOS innit???
Old 16-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Stealth Bomber
PassionFord Post Troll